Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:03 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,348 times

Advertisements

We have a story in Genesis of God covering the whole world in flood.

This is demonstrating the power and existence of God by natural phenomenon, namely, a storm that just won't stop.

After which, God claims "never again will he cover the world in water, never again would the Earth be destroyed by water."

Well ummm, we have a practically nationwide blizzard but also... flood!

On coastal VA to NJ, water is flooding houses to above car level, and so far shows no signs of letting up. God must be a liar, right?

The evidence of malice is not evidence of a lack of God. It is evidence of a God existing, with it instead in question whether God has our best interests at heart.

Maltheism - RationalWiki

Will this snow and flood let up, or will God destroy the world by flood? Tune in next time, and find out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 08:05 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,200 times
You know, you're right.
Because that's logical....

Just like religion.

Hahahah.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:11 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,065 times
God has NOTHING to do with the current snow storm, or ANY storms for that matter.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:23 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,348 times
Does God Control the Weather?

Quote:
Divinely Directed Weather That Changed History

BIBLICAL EXAMPLES. Scripture contains many examples of God controlling the weather and using it to direct people and nations…

(Omitting, old news)

MORE RECENT EXAMPLES. In more recent centuries, there are various examples that seem to show the providence of God in history using weather…
  • GEORGE WASHINGTON. In a famous painting, General George Washington is shown crossing the Delaware River on Christmas night 1776. With snow falling, his forces were able to surprise and defeat the enemy. This victory fanned the revolution's fading embers. Weather continued to play an important role in America's Revolutionary War.
  • DUNKIRK. In June 1940, 400,000 British and French soldiers were trapped on the north coast of France at Dunkirk. The Nazi forces were only ten miles away and could have cornered Allied troops. However, at this time thick fog and clouds settled over the beaches. The English Channel also became unusually calm, and many small boats from England were able to ferry soldiers across to safety. The protective weather pattern lasted nine days while the men were evacuated. The Allied army was thus preserved to fight another day. Winston Churchill called the evacuation of Dunkirk a “miracle of deliverance.”
  • SPANISH ARMADA. Four centuries ago, Philip II of Spain set out to rule the world. His goal was to reunite all of Christianity under the Catholic faith, and also under Spanish control. Philip was a heartless leader who had earlier supported the harsh measures of the Spanish Inquisition. He did not get along well with either Britain or Holland. When the Netherlands declared their independence from Spain in 1588, Philip sailed north with an “invincible” Armada of 130 warships and 30,000 men. Then, while far from home, bad weather hit the fleet. With no port available the ships were forced to anchor at sea. The smaller British fleet under Sir Francis Drake than harassed the Spanish by releasing flaming “tar ships” among the anchored fleet. The Spanish Armada fled north through the English Channel and around the coast of Scotland, where continued fierce storms pushed the fleet onto the rocky shores. As the history books used to say, “God blew and they were scattered.” Only half of the original Spanish fleet finally limped back home. The great Spanish sea power had been diminished by the weather, instead of by war. Perhaps a worldwide dictatorship was averted by this defeat of the Spanish Armada.
There are clear parallels between God and the natural world. In fact, the Revelation has a number of pollution markers, like the sea turning bad and the sky drying up like a scroll (possibly an evaporation of the ozone layer?) In other words, there's a definite depiction of the natural world, not just a supernatural mumbo jumbo God, but a this world one.

Oh yeah, and the ten plagues? They were part of a Rube Goldberg-style plague that was two rather large natural events.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...cientists.html

Algal water, which caused flies, frogs, etc. Volcanic eruption, which causes darkness, storms, and fungus getting the bread really wonky. First to taste the bread was firstborn, so they died. The reason the Jews were safe was due to their diet, far more than the blood (that was mainly to mark houses that were observant).

Quote:
The problem with the naturalistic explanations, is that they lose the whole point.
"And the whole point was that you didn't come out of Egypt by natural causes, you came out by the hand of God."
I disagree. This was long one long chain of events that came out to punish people specifically based on their lack of care over what they ate, and how they lived. They came out of Egypt by following the will of God. The will of God is less to do with laws, and more how you treat others. I don't think God cared that they worshiped Egyptian deities. I think a bigger issue was that they were using hard labor to make their pyramids.

So the question is, are we being punished by this freak weather? And if so, why?

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 01-23-2016 at 08:50 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 12:25 AM

865 posts, read 1,076,213 times
The suffering that exists int he world (combined with the fact that free cannot exist) proves that if there is a god, it is either an indifferent or malevolent god. Once it becomes a scientifically accepted fact that free will does not exist, then it will be impossible for educated people to reconcile their belief in the Christian God with this fact.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:36 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,369,717 times
Another of this OPs non-evidence attempts for supporting the existence of a god, while showing that the only support he has for anything is internal justification for his own narratives.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:25 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,649 times
Goodness, get a grip. This is probably the most obsurd thing I have read/laughed at in awhile.

There is no God. Just mother nature. And this is her doing. It's a pretty common thing in the world to have snow fall from sky isn't it? And snow usually turns to water which could cause flooding right? Maybe I'm just totally wrong, I don't know anymore.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:21 AM

19,957 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Even assuming god exists and literally flooded "the entire world", the promise was not to flood the entire world again, not that there would be no floods. Any god that exists clearly is okay with a certain amount of mayhem. Quite a bit actually.

The promise of no worldwide flood is pretty meaningless anyway. 90% of the world being flooded would be disastrous enough.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:32 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,918,341 times
I don't know about you, but God listens to me when I pray and obey.
but then I don't look at every opportunity to spit in His face either.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:07 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I don't know about you, but God listens to me when I pray and obey.
but then I don't look at every opportunity to spit in His face either.
...even when the answer is No or Not Now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality