Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 07:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Funny you say that, I see nothing about freedom of speech. No lobbying to prevent the bible distributors, no attempt to get them run out of town, nothing.

Just a simple exercise of free speech telling these folks that while what they are doing is legal, it is not appreciated and inappropriate. This is actually a perfect example of how to handle this is a civilized way, countering speech with more speech not legislation or force.

Kudos to the OP for standing up for yourself and letting these folks know that this sort of attempt to bypass parental religious teaching is not appreciated.

-NoCapo
So now you are all for parental religious teaching??

But not the free exchange of ideas in the public square? My, as a leopard you do seem to change your spots on an as needed basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 07:13 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,675 times
Quote:
Kudos to the OP for standing up for yourself and letting these folks know that this sort of attempt to bypass parental religious teaching is not appreciated.

-NoCapo
thanks

you know, i know that what i did and said won't change anything. they will still keep handing out bibles in front of middle schools. but i felt an overwhelming urge to tell them how i felt about it because it bothered me. i will not be trying to get them to stop.

i also am not going to go around asking everyone that i know how they feel about it. so that's why i came here.
i wondered what others thought about men handing out bibles to kids in front of a school because i had never seen it before.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If some guy on the sidewalk gave one to my kid I'd take it and toss it. I wouldn't go and post a rant on an internet message board about it. I'd get on with my life and worry about things that were important in life.
i just happened to notice that you have posted here over 15,000 times. never posted anything insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but rather just because you were curious what other people think?

Old 01-24-2016, 07:29 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So now you are all for parental religious teaching??

But not the free exchange of ideas in the public square? My, as a leopard you do seem to change your spots on an as needed basis.
Who shut down the free exchange of ideas? One party was expressing their view, a second party expressed their distaste for it. Free exchange right there. This was handled exactly right, precisely because, there was no attempt to censor the bible distributors. The cops were not called, a free speech zone was not mandated, lawyers were not involved. Simple two parties freely exchanging ideas. What could be more American than that?

As far as parental religious teaching, I have always been all for it. It is the parents responsibility to handle religious education, and while government is and should be legally prohibited from taking a position on religion, other people should have the decency and tact to respect the religious beliefs of others and not attempt to undermine the religious education of other people's children.

So, no spot changing, no flipflopping. Just a healthy appreciation for separation of church and state, civil discourse, and respect and courtesy.

-NoCapo

Old 01-24-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Who shut down the free exchange of ideas? One party was expressing their view, a second party expressed their distaste for it. Free exchange right there. This was handled exactly right, precisely because, there was no attempt to censor the bible distributors. The cops were not called, a free speech zone was not mandated, lawyers were not involved. Simple two parties freely exchanging ideas. What could be more American than that?

As far as parental religious teaching, I have always been all for it. It is the parents responsibility to handle religious education, and while government is and should be legally prohibited from taking a position on religion, other people should have the decency and tact to respect the religious beliefs of others and not attempt to undermine the religious education of other people's children.

So, no spot changing, no flipflopping. Just a healthy appreciation for separation of church and state, civil discourse, and respect and courtesy.

-NoCapo
Sure..

Old 01-24-2016, 07:41 PM

i think it is interesting. i was curious about what other people thought about strange men handing out bibles to children that they do not know, who are in the age range of 12ish to 15ish. i wasn't really wondering what people would think about the fact that i didn't like it and i gave the bible back! i mean i know i didn't do anything wrong. oh well, it is the internet. i should expect anything.

sometimes mama bear comes out, even for things that seem to be small potatoes to some people. (i have never used the term small potatoes before! )

Old 01-24-2016, 07:46 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Sure..
Classy, the ol', "You must be lying, cause you're an atheist" bit.

Keep up the good work.
-NoCapo

Old 01-24-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Classy, the ol', "You must be lying, cause you're an atheist" bit.

Keep up the good work.
-NoCapo
Assume much.

Please don't play the victim card.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:58 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Did the school hand them out? Did they require him to read it?

If some guy on the sidewalk gave one to my kid I'd take it and toss it. I wouldn't go and post a rant on an internet message board about it. I'd get on with my life and worry about things that were important in life.
I HIGHLY doubt that if someone gave your kid a tract about atheism, or Scientology, or handed them The Watchtower, when you weren't around you would just toss it and go on with your life, especially if they were set up directly across from a school.

ANY parent who cares about who is interacting with their kid and what they are reading would find out who was handing out the material and what their end goal was.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:00 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Good for you, beechie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality