Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:59 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times

Advertisements

How is materialism viewed in the Old and New Testament of the Bible? Is it considered a sin? What could be the danger in getting caught up in materialism on a personal level ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
spirtualism = 0
materialism

Old 02-07-2008, 03:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
If materialism is a sin, why do so many "Christians" supporting giving the wealthiest Americans tax cuts, but oppose help and medical insurance to the poor?

Old 02-07-2008, 04:23 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If materialism is a sin, why do so many "Christians" supporting giving the wealthiest Americans tax cuts, but oppose help and medical insurance to the poor?
I often wonder this too. Many Christian Republicans feel that an individual is responsible for his/her well being and shouldn't rely on the state or the support of others. Their attitude is much more of a Darwinian "survival of the fittest" attitude than a "take my yoke upon you" attitude. It's strange.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:27 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I'll just ignore the "sin" comment as IMHO it's just you being antagonistic and frankly it's a red herring to me.

The wealthiest Americans pay the highest percentage of the tax burden so lets get that in the open first. Tax cuts put more money in the hands of the people and not the government which is not a problem. Who do you think employs those "poor people" most of the time.

Oppose "help"? Define "help". LOL I'm all for helping an old lady across the street. I'm all for helping a single mother by mowing her lawn. What kinda help you talking about?

Against medical insurance for the poor? No, not really. Speaking for "this Christian" I simply think it's better left in the hands of the private sector and not the government. I dare say it's the governments intervention that has put insurance costs so high it's "out of the poors reach".

The truley destitute already have medical help through the government - this I am not opposed too. Those who are young, healthy and can work do not need a handout. They need a hand up.

Edit: I'd also forgot to add that conservatives (Not all Christians are as I'm SURE you realize) are generally not for "tax breaks for the rich" as you said but for lower taxes over all. Pretty much all your questions were loaded but I figured I'd reply anyway.

Last edited by JViello; 02-07-2008 at 05:27 PM..

Old 02-08-2008, 12:32 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
I often wonder this too. Many Christian Republicans feel that an individual is responsible for his/her well being and shouldn't rely on the state or the support of others. Their attitude is much more of a Darwinian "survival of the fittest" attitude than a "take my yoke upon you" attitude. It's strange.
for sure!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:45 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
not good. the golden calf action.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:47 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,686 times
We need to make a distinction between rich and materialistic, the two things not always go together. You could be rich but not attached to material things and viceversa.

Nevertheless I wonder why in more than one occasion Jesus commented about rich people, one example being LK 18:24 "....How hard it is for the wealthy to enter the Kingdon of God".

What do you think He meant by that?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:53 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
How is materialism viewed in the Old and New Testament of the Bible? Is it considered a sin? What could be the danger in getting caught up in materialism on a personal level ?

Thou shall not covet.... say's it all.

Of course most Christians understand this... but the trappings of the world are everywhere. We aren't very good at living a life free from "wanting". There is nothing wrong with having stuff (things for the gals), but when we believe we are entitled to stuff, for what ever reason (like from our hard work) ... we are in the trap. Observe the responses from the post... and see judgement from non believers who bring guilt into the equation. Why? because materialism will make a servant of those caught within it's snares. What choice do we have other than to accuse? to protect our own selfish needs? to lay blame upon those __________ fill in the blank. Job 15:6 Your own mouth condemns you, not I; your own lips testify against you.

Too often we live our lives just a bit cleaner, than the pigs we see. Does that make us "better"? cleaner? righteous? more anything? of course not. When we become a possession of the Father, all that we have becomes His... again. What we have now should reflect clearly to others His blessings upon us... not something we 'earned".

The opposite of materialism is contentment. Can a content person be an accuser? No....... it's an oxymoron.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:10 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,686 times
Dave_n_Tenn: The opposite of materialism is contentment.

Excellent point, Dave, I agree with you totally. Thank you for this thought.

Materialism I think also a desire for(if you don't have) or an attachament to(if you have) material things so strong that in your heart there is no more space for other things. God, human relationships, enviromnent etc. they are all pushed out or they are in second place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality