Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:25 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

Bunky39 wrote:
Quote:
2nd amendment was done by godly people. why the question?
eye for an eye is not self defense
The potential of taking a human life with a firearm certainly has religious implications and as others have mentioned the Second Amendment is open to interpretation. Some religious people are pacifists and would never own a weapon while others are strong supporters of the right of an individual to own a gun. There's a wide variety of opinions from religious and nonreligious individuals and I'm just asking what people think.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
Personally, I will be shakin' in my shoes on Judgement Day anyway, but if my life or family were in imminent danger, I will take a life with my home-defense gun. Even though killing is not in the category of "What Would Jesus Do", I believe the defense will be judged as "Justifiable".

Old 02-09-2008, 11:33 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Default I've got my travel agent on hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

In any case if June decides to pay a visit my 9mm will be safety tucked away.
And....?

Old 02-09-2008, 02:26 PM

June 7th wrote:
Quote:
And....?
And it's time to start planning for a trip to Tennessee.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:42 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
A very interesting question, as the owner of several handguns, rifles, and shotguns and having been trained in the use of all of them through the military and being an expert marksman and having taught my wife how to use these same weapons, I believe that a person has to be responsible for learning how to handle and take proper care of any weapon or firearm that they own, I always felt that the more you know about it the less chance someone could get hurt, even accidentally. My religion or culture speaks nothing of owning such weapons, but then again I'm not a Christian. Personally I don't see where a religion should have anything to do with owning a weapon to protect yourself with, it's not the weapon that kills, its man that kills, with the use of a weapon, regardless of what it is. If a man killed another with a knife, are they going to outlaw knives?, if he kill you with a bow and arrow, are they going to outlaw the bow and arrow? It's not the weapon that kills you, it's the person using the weapon that kills you, and if a person wants to kill you, he can use anything he can get his hands on regardless of what it is. Just my opinion.
Someone mentioned about the Supreme Court looking at the gun ban in Washington, DC. The person that is suing the District of Columbia over this gun ban is, I believe a security guard, who works outside of the District of Columbia but lives there and is required to have his weapon with him at all times, which means that in the District of Columbia he can't have it with him, that's why the lawsuit.

Oh and by the way, it's a choice, you can choose to own a handgun or a weapon or not. It's your choice.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:19 PM

ptsum wrote:
Quote:
Oh and by the way, it's a choice, you can choose to own a handgun or a weapon or not. It's your choice.
Yes, I agree and you made some good points. There hasn't been a ruling on the Second Amendment for almost 70 years and this one really gets to the heart of the matter, individual gun ownership. From what I've read both sides are uncertain how the court will decide. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. The security guard you mentioned was denied a permit to have a handgun in his home so they're going to decide if DC's gun ban is unconstitutional. Because the Second Amendment is part of the Constitution they can't just say it's up to the States to decide. I completely agree with your point that people need to take responsibility for owning a handgun and using it safely.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:31 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
I have no qualms about owning handguns. I was raised in a very conservative Christian home, and my dad had quite a few guns. He always tought us the correct way to handle them. When they were not being used/cleaned, they were kept under lock and key. (He was the only one with the key.) He only used them for hunting, and had them on hand for self defense. I don't see how it would interfere with my faith to own a gun.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:06 AM

Default The House of June

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

I own several handguns

I also believe that anyone has a right to defend themselves or their family

It seems as though this is one issue where I'm in agreement with conservatives and the religious right.

June and I were talking about this last night and it's one of the few things we disagree on.

June has but two questions, my dear:

1- What's the best time of year to visit Nashville;

2- Where would the arsenal be?

It is interesting to me that there are as many Christians in this country owning guns as there appears to be. In your case, my sweet, I suspect that owning a gun is very much an outgrowth of the culture that you grew up in. Hunting and owning a gun for the sake of protection are two different things in June's mind; however, I suspect that in some respects they go hand in hand.

June grew up in a household where there were guns. June's father would occassionally go deer hunting. So I suspect that June does not find it a totally foreign concept that there are marksmen/women in the world.

As regards owning a gun for "protection," I suspect that what you really have is the illusion of protection. I don't doubt that millions of gun owning Americans feel safer in their beds each night; however, I really truly wonder...What's the true likelihood of June, who lives alone, "packing" a gun under her mattress (oh, now there's a comforting notion! ) in order to take out some home invader successfully? Trust me, I'd be overpowered in a heart beat, as I would no doubt "freeze" upon waking up and finding some stranger staring down the foot of my bed. Christian, athiest, or otherwise, I am not so sure how I would feel taking someone else's life. I'm also not so sure how I would feel at the point that said invader managed to get that gun from me and turn it on me...

There are far too many guns in this country. Far too many gun related accidents, murders, deaths. June dislikes guns on principle. She truly does.

And she disliked guns long before someone who was very, very close to her put one in their mouth one day, and pulled the trigger....

Take gentle care.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
I own a handgun. I know how to use it, and I wouldn't hesitate to do so if need be. I also own a good-sized dog with a loud bark and terrific hearing. With any luck, she would warn me before anything happened where I would need to pick up that weapon. Seeing as currently live alone, I don't think I'm being unreasonable. But you'd better believe that if the situation arose that I needed to use that weapon, I wouldn't hesitate.

I would certainly regret injuring someone or taking a life, but if they're attempting to take mine, then they have voluntarily given me the choice of choosing whether they live or die.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post

I also own a good-sized dog with a loud bark and terrific hearing. With any luck, she would warn me before anything happened where I would need to pick up that weapon.
My dear, sweet Montana, just a gentle reminder from Misha:

Time to "pontificate" the acquisition of Puppy Gau.

(Either that, or consider joining a church...)

Love,
-Your Pacifist, June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality