Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well it's your side that makes life miserable for gay people. Your side fights for the right to fire gay people, refuse services, refuse legal protection of their relationships. How do you not see that as cruel?
I never said I didn't
You know what....you make it sound like every single person who is against homosexuality is doing all these things you mentioned and that they're hard hearted and cold towards these individuals. If that's not judging I don't know what is. I understand you're very passionate about this issue and may have even had hurt feelings but don't judge people just because they are against something you are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I never said I didn't
You know what....you make it sound like every single person who is against homosexuality is doing all these things you mentioned and that they're hard hearted and cold towards these individuals. If that's not judging I don't know what is. I understand you're very passionate about this issue and may have even had hurt feelings but don't judge people just because they are against something you are for.
Sorry, but that's the way I see it. If it were gay people trying to take away the rights of evangelicals to marry or hold jobs, maybe you'd see it my way.

My parents are anti-gay evangelicals, and yes, they've said very cold things to me. Sure they smile in a Jesus haze when the say it. My mom even seems to think she has a good relationship with me. But that's hardly the truth. It's still a fact the the Christian Right as a group is extremely hostile toward gay people.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:07 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
No the church did not change their beliefs about polygamy. It is just not practiced anymore. There is a difference. And I don't think what you have in mind about the church "changing and evolving" as far as blacks are concerned is accurate. I read part of that link you posted and no surprise its completely false. The church never taught that blacks are inferior or cursed. When blacks received the priesthood it was not a result from "change or evolving" but of revelation from God.
But I can also say with 99.9999999% certainty that the church will never condone homosexual marriage.
I was trying to give your church the benefit of the doubt. But I do have to point out that the way your church looked at polygamy changed, however you want to talk about it, your church no longer practices it. AND the same thing with how African Americans are treated.

You can't know that there won't be a chance in how homosexuals are treated either.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yes, it does matter. Because I don't believe what you believe. I believe your religion is incorrect and wrong. That doesn't mean I don't support your right to practice a bigoted religion or hold those beliefs. But unfortunately in this country, people legislate bigotry and discrimination based on their personal religious beliefs. Actually I believe people use religion to justify their bigotry in most cases.
OK; however, I don't think what you or I believe is the point of this thread. I think there are two points to this thread:

Will the First Presidency of the LDS Church meet with this group?

Will the LDS Church change its position on Gay practices?

I have stated my position on both questions. In addition, I have explained why LDS doctrine prevents a position change on Gay practices.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
You can't know that there won't be a chance in how homosexuals are treated either.
I didn't say I KNOW.....I just said I very highly doubt it.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,248 times
Quote:
Guess you musta missed this:

Lev. 18: 22
22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.
Lev. 20: 13
13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Or do you not follow this Bible either?
I missed nothing.

My God is the Great FSM. He has no no problem with same-sex marriage. R'amen!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
There is only one true God
Prove it. Do it without circular reasoning, please.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
You know what....if you're goin go around calling people bigots for believing the Bible you better be prepared to call God a bigot.
My God is not a bigot. Your God apparently is. I'm fine with that.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:27 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
I didn't say I KNOW.....I just said I very highly doubt it.
Its clear that I am not Mormon, I am not religious at all but I can tell you, my conscience sits alot better with me now that I don't judge people based on their differences but embrace everyone and LOVE them for their differences.

I feel like I see more of this world and understand so much more now that I have taken off the glasses of judgement and disregard. All life is important, worthy of care.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
My God is not a bigot. Your God apparently is. I'm fine with that.
Believe what you want and be happy with that. Drop the attitude though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality