Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

SALT LAKE CITY - A group of homosexual Mormons is seeking an unprecedented meeting with the new church president and his counselors, hoping to begin a conversation and find ways to address the concerns of its members.

Affirmation, with more than 2,000 gay, lesbian and transgender members, is not recognized by the church, which at one time labeled homosexuality as a problem that required help.

Homosexual Mormons hope new president more open (OneNewsNow.com) (http://www.onenewsnow.com/Headlines/Default.aspx?id=66914 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 02:11 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,709 times
Very interesting. Let's see where this goes.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Ever see Latter Days? Great movie that deals somewhat with this subject.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:44 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Ever see Latter Days? Great movie that deals somewhat with this subject.
this is hollywood fiction though. i have seen too many people who use this movie as their opinion-forming source on how the 'church treats homosexuals.'

our doctrine is not going to change. we will accept people, no matter what their situation, but cannot condone the *things* that some people do. it is a matter of accepting the homosexual, not the homosexuality. i realize that many people are incapable of doing this, but that is why we are here, to learn to become more Christ-like.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
It's only been a couple of decades since they welcomed blacks. Affirmation is going to have to wait a bit longer.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
It's only been a couple of decades since they welcomed blacks. Affirmation is going to have to wait a bit longer.
equal rights is an interesting topic to bring into this discussion.

blacks were welcome the entire time. authorized with the priesthood is what came later, but that is a subject for another thread...

Old 02-12-2008, 02:54 PM

279 posts, read 782,720 times
so people read this and still believe homosexuality is a choice. its amazing. i feel like something like this should show how its not. theyre mormon so why would they choose to be something thats specifically considered "wrong" by them?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:57 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Mind View Post
so people read this and still believe homosexuality is a choice. its amazing. i feel like something like this should show how its not. theyre mormon so why would they choose to be something thats specifically considered "wrong" by them?
REDLIGHT!

Please, please everyone who reads this thread: Let's not make this another thread about choice or morality, etc. Please. I'm sure we all appreciate your comment and input Wandering Mind, but search the forum. That is soooo not a sujbect you want to bring up!

***getting off my soap box***

Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
The "gay Mormon" thing sounds like quite the oxymoron to me. Many disagree, I'm sure, but I feel like these Affirmation people are deluding themselves.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
The "gay Mormon" thing sounds like quite the oxymoron to me. Many disagree, I'm sure, but I feel like these Affirmation people are deluding themselves.
That was my thought. I know a couple gay ex-Mormons and they found comfort in some other accepting Christian denomination. Having been raised in an evangelical home, I'm pretty much in the same boat. When my parent's church says, "accept the sinner, don't accept the sin", I don't understand. So if I went to their church be refused to go back into the closet, would they eventually kick me out? Of course I wouldn't go there because I'd feel like a black man at a KKK gathering. But the whole "hate the sin" line is just bigotry in my opinion.

But back to the topic, why don't gay Mormons do what other Christians have done and just start their own church? The way I see it, gay people trying to gain acceptance from any fundamentalist anti-gay church is the same as a battered wife trying to please her husband so he won't beat her again. In reality, she needs to leave the relationship because the odds of the wife beater changing his ways are extremely poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality