Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:51 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times

Advertisements

This isn't necessarily about which version of God is most accurately depicted by the Bible, but about the psychology behind those who favor one or the other. This has long been a debate among Christians and few people have been able to reconcile. People, churches, and denominations who believe they have reconciled God's two personalities ALWAYS seem to emphasize one over the other.

Do you think people's natural tendency towards either kindness or authoritarianism influences which God they believe in? Do you think people who are more naturally pessimistic or have an authoritarian personality, despite of religion, are more drawn to believing in an angry God?

Or, is it the other way around in which the God people believe in shapes a person's personality and worldview. In this case, a person would be kind and loving because they believe in a loving God or a person would be angry and judgmental because they believe in a vengeful God.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 10:02 AM

261 posts, read 156,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This isn't necessarily about which version of God is most accurately depicted by the Bible, but about the psychology behind those who favor one or the other. This has long been a debate among Christians and few people have been able to reconcile. People, churches, and denominations who believe they have reconciled God's two personalities ALWAYS seem to emphasize one over the other.

Do you think people's natural tendency towards either kindness or authoritarianism influences which God they believe in? Do you think people who are more naturally pessimistic or have an authoritarian personality, despite of religion, are more drawn to believing in an angry God?

Or, is it the other way around in which the God people believe in shapes a person's personality and worldview. In this case, a person would be kind and loving because they believe in a loving God or a person would be angry and judgmental because they believe in a vengeful God.

Thoughts?
I don't know where people dredge up the idea of a loving god, when the Biblical portrayal is of a god with a psychopathic personality.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:07 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
All I know is that fundamentalist Christians - those touting biblical inerrancy and whining about gays being treated equally - almost never mention Jesus.

The "god" they talk about is the murderous psychotic case of arrested development found in the OT.

But liberal Christians tend to focus more on Jesus and much less on his insane old man.

Fortunately, the liberals comprise the vast majority and fundies are on a fast track to oblivion.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:47 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
I don't know where people dredge up the idea of a loving god, when the
Biblical portrayal is of a god with a psychopathic personality.
People that believe the Bible may believe in the psycho God...or not.
Those that definitely know that God is nothing but pure love...usually have had a direct
experience to know this.

People with faith or hope that God is loving... are sweet...but even they do not know without
direct experience.

How would anyone know anything if not by direct experience?
Why believe? Because someone told you to or because someone wrote something?
Not that believing or having faith is bad...it just is inferior to direct experience.
People 'stop there'...thinking blind faith is enough....well, ok, whatever satisfies you...*shrug*
Would never satisfy me.

I believe a Maserati is just the best car ever. And you can believe it
because I say it, sure.
But, it does not compare to someone here saying they drove one for a year.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:07 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,981,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
People that believe the Bible may believe in the psycho God...or not.
Those that definitely know that God is nothing but pure love...usually have had a direct
experience to know this.

People with faith or hope that God is loving... are sweet...but even they do not know without
direct experience.
I respectfully suggest this God of whom you speak is not the same God of the OT. I have no problems with your God. None whatever. It's the one that promotes bigotry and racial supremacy that I have issues with.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
All I know is that fundamentalist Christians - those touting biblical inerrancy and whining about gays being treated equally - almost never mention Jesus.

The "god" they talk about is the murderous psychotic case of arrested development found in the OT.

But liberal Christians tend to focus more on Jesus and much less on his insane old man.

Fortunately, the liberals comprise the vast majority and fundies are on a fast track to oblivion.
That's a greal observation that I didn't occur to me until you mentioned it. But it does seem to ring true in my anecdotal experiences.

Unfortunately, to borrow from a faavorite quote of Shirina, I'll have to run off and rep everybody on the gardening forum before I can rep you again apparently.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:28 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

I suspect it is both.

I think a person who is inherently authoritarian will tend to be happier in an authoritarian flavor of Christianity, and less likely to moderate their position / emphasis, and less likely to leave altogether.. It provides them with security and a sense of rightness and protection that they crave. Certainly a person who has poor internal discipline / impulse control and senses the need for external control, is also attracted to an externally imposed discipline and this is the source of most of the "I was once a criminal / promiscuous / addictive and Jesus transformed my life" types of testimonies.

On the other hand most people are born into their religion regardless of their personal tendencies, and they are influenced by it for good or ill also. The question sort of assumes people convert to faiths when predominantly they are born to them.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:34 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
discriptions of god is a reflection of how people see things. I get the tactic of describing it bad for the good of the A-team. But when one really believes its all bad or all good they are off of the mark in describing reality.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:13 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,981,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Unfortunately, to borrow from a faavorite quote of Shirina, I'll have to run off and rep everybody on the gardening forum before I can rep you again apparently.
Yeah. I have this problem too! Except I don't go to the gardening forum.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I respectfully suggest this God of whom you speak is not the same God of the OT.
I have no problems with your God.
None whatever.
It's the one that promotes bigotry and racial supremacy that I have issues with.
Hi 303Guy,

It's the incorrect interpretation given to that God from (bless their hearts) simple, primitive,
savage, fearful minds...minds that were afraid of some 'thing' they thought they
could appease by throwing virgins into volcanoes or killing little sweet animals.

Come on...that interpretation is not even worth spending time on...no matter that millions
have for centuries...
still it does not make it worth our attention...sorry...it's a wise person
that will not waste time on it, but rather search on his own for a personal answer...inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality