Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:46 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The Religious Beliefs are treated differently because of their vast power and influence.
Power and influence much greater than any other beliefs.
The power of popularity and the majority gives them "mojo" not held by other minor and less popular beliefs.
Power, Influence, and Epic Acceptance & Popularity....THAT is why they get the treatment they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I think GldnRule has nailed it.
I guess I am actually asking for more of a justification for why this is the case rather than an explanation for why this is the case. In other words, why does the fact that many people are religious mean that religious beliefs as a group should be treated differently than very similar beliefs that are not religious in nature? A lot of people enjoy watching sports, but sports fans aren't given special legal protection that ballet fans aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 04:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
So you oppose religious accommodations in the workplace? That is an interesting view, and I think it might be problematic, but that is at least consistent.

You really don't think employers should be required to make reasonable accommodations for an employee's religious beliefs, though?
That depends on what you call "reasonable". It's not your boss's responsibility to make sure you have Sunday off, or make accomodations if you don't want to do certain things, like dispensing certain drugs at a pharmacy. It the store owner chooses to sell it, he can expect his employees to do it or they work somewhere else.

Having said that, the store owner can choose what merchandise to sell, or what hours to operate.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That depends on what you call "reasonable". It's not your boss's responsibility to make sure you have Sunday off, or make accomodations if you don't want to do certain things, like dispensing certain drugs at a pharmacy. It the store owner chooses to sell it, he can expect his employees to do it or they work somewhere else.

Having said that, the store owner can choose what merchandise to sell, or what hours to operate.
In the case of Kim Davis, the county clerk who refused to sign marriage licenses, should the county have been required to make some sort of accommodation, or should she have been fired? For the sake of discussion, ignore the distinction between her being an elected official rather than an employee.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:

Why should religious beliefs get special treatment?
They don't. Should you take your case to the Supreme Court and it decides your employer violated your rights under the Constitution.....the Constitution (and you) wins. I'm not aware of any SCOTUS decisions about vegetarian employees told to order BBQ so....congratulations! You could make case law.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They don't. Should you take your case to the Supreme Court and it decides your employer violated your rights under the Constitution.....the Constitution (and you) wins. I'm not aware of any SCOTUS decisions about vegetarian employees told to order BBQ so....congratulations! You could make case law.
You don't believe that religious beliefs have special protection under the Constitution?

Old 03-24-2016, 05:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
You don't believe that religious beliefs have special protection under the Constitution?
They don't. As is evidenced by the fact the cake sellers who think they can ignore the law are told, in court, they can't. All law in this country is subject to the Constitution. All citizens are subject to the law. No one gets to say, "I'm a special snowflake" and willy-nilly decide their beliefs override the Constitution.

The SCOTUS will decide several important religion-based cases this year. The Constitution will be the standard for deciding legality. Not the religious beliefs of the plaintiffs. If religious beliefs had special protection....there would still be morning prayers in public schools.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:55 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
I don't think you get to change the stipulations of the scenario I presented. Imagine I am asked to plan this sort of picnic by my boss, and my boss says there is no funding for an event planner. If I don't plan the event myself, which includes arranging for barbecue, I could be fired.

How is my comparison a bit silly? It is certainly true that religious beliefs get legal protection that other deeply-held beliefs don't.

The logical solution is to stop treating religious beliefs as though they are special beliefs.
Your stipulations do not reflect reality. It should make some kind of sense. Your boss, would never leave bbq to a vegetarian. The idea is silly. Very silly.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They don't. As is evidenced by the fact the cake sellers who think they can ignore the law are told, in court, they can't. All law in this country is subject to the Constitution. All citizens are subject to the law. No one gets to say, "I'm a special snowflake" and willy-nilly decide their beliefs override the Constitution.

The SCOTUS will decide several important religion-based cases this year. The Constitution will be the standard for deciding legality. Not the religious beliefs of the plaintiffs. If religious beliefs had special protection....there would still be morning prayers in public schools.
I feel silly for pointing this out, but don't you realize that The Constitution is the source of the special legal protection religious rights have? The fourteenth amendment's equal protection clause is the backbone of employer-employee relations as it pertains to religious belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Your stipulations do not reflect reality. It should make some kind of sense. Your boss, would never leave bbq to a vegetarian. The idea is silly. Very silly.
Hypothetical scenarios aren't supposed to reflect reality. A hypothetical scenario does not depend on the likelihood of its premises. If I said "If you were seven feet tall, would you want to play in the NBA?" responding with "Almost no one is seven feet tall, so that's silly" doesn't answer the question.

The scenario I outlined is just an example. You're missing the forest for all of the trees. However, I think you're prematurely dismissing the likelihood of this scenario existing. There are plenty of Supreme Court cases that have involved unlikely scenarios. More importantly, how likely a scenario is has nothing to do with the legality or justification of it.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:16 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
I feel silly for pointing this out, but don't you realize that The Constitution is the source of the special legal protection religious rights have? The fourteenth amendment's equal protection clause is the backbone of employer-employee relations as it pertains to religious belief.

Hypothetical scenarios aren't supposed to reflect reality. A hypothetical scenario does not depend on the likelihood of its premises. If I said "If you were seven feet tall, would you want to play in the NBA?" responding with "Almost no one is seven feet tall, so that's silly" doesn't answer the question.

The scenario I outlined is just an example. You're missing the forest for all of the trees. However, I think you're prematurely dismissing the likelihood of this scenario existing. There are plenty of Supreme Court cases that have involved unlikely scenarios. More importantly, how likely a scenario is has nothing to do with the legality or justification of it.
Hypothetical should make sense. I would never answer your question like that. I would give you a straight up yes, or no. The fact almost no one is seven fee tall is irrelevant to your question

Old 03-24-2016, 06:16 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
It's not a silly idea at all. It's a scenario created to make a point - a valid point.

Of course in this scenario, the boss is silly for asking a vegetarian to do a BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality