Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times

Advertisements

How can religious people say life is sacred, abortions should be illegal, and then say we should sentence people to the death penalty? Is human life sacred or not?

I think the interpretation of "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" meant to say punishments should fit their crimes and not be excessive. Where does the Bible say "life for a life?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 01:24 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Should be interesting..

Old 02-12-2008, 01:28 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Cherry-picking from the Bible is a fool's game.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:29 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
How can religious people say life is sacred, abortions should be illegal, and then say we should sentence people to the death penalty? Is human life sacred or not?

I think the interpretation of "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" meant to say punishments should fit their crimes and not be excessive. Where does the Bible say "life for a life?"
Well, I'm not religious, but I have a problem with the contradiction, too. I just try to practice a consistent life ethic across the board, as much as I can. Pro-life, anti-death penalty, antiwar, even vegetarian. I figure if you're going to call yourself pro-life, it oughta really mean something, other than being just an empty slogan ...

Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
I figure if you're going to call yourself pro-life, it oughta really mean something, other than being just an empty slogan ...
True. Why do we still use these PC terms? (That is: POLITICALLY correct but ACTUALLY incorrect).
We should do away with pro-life and pro-choice.
Let's just say pro-abortion and anti-abortion. If this offends pro-choicers then make it pro-legal-abortion.
Life and Choice ultimately have very little to do with this debate.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
ParkTwain wrote:
Quote:
Cherry-picking from the Bible is a fool's game.
Then I guess there must be alot of fools out there. I've done it myself!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:37 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post

I'm "religious", but I don't say that.
What I have said is, I'm pro-life. Period.

(I feel like I'm being profiled)

Old 02-12-2008, 02:54 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
True. Why do we still use these PC terms? (That is: POLITICALLY correct but ACTUALLY incorrect).
We should do away with pro-life and pro-choice.
Let's just say pro-abortion and anti-abortion. If this offends pro-choicers then make it pro-legal-abortion.
Life and Choice ultimately have very little to do with this debate.
Actually, I think pro-choice is spot on. Many people in the pro-choice movement have personal views that are not pro-abortion. They are pro "a woman's right to choose."

The proper wording is pro-choice and anti-choice.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:59 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
It's a clear contradiction. No matter what the person did, their life is still as important as and innocent child. Sure, you'll have a negative view of them. I could understand life in prison, but the eye for eye thing is just wrong. I've noticed many who also think abortion should be illegal but are for the death penalty. It's hypocritical. Not to mention, when this issue comes up, you have to define what a living, breathing, human being is, and if a fetus or embryo meets that criteria. When you think about it, pro-life is anti-woman.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Actually, I think pro-choice is spot on. Many people in the pro-choice movement have personal views that are not pro-abortion. They are pro "a woman's right to choose."

The proper wording is pro-choice and anti-choice.
I have always thought that your terms (pro- and anti-choice) are more correct than what we've got - but in terms of actual correctness "pro-choice" is too broad.
Women will have the choice to abort whether abortion is legal or not. Pro-choice people specifically want women to have the choice to legally obtain an abortion. Similarly, anti-choice is also too broad - but I guess that's why they call them "movements" and not just terms.
I often think that the different movements would both have more strength (politically) if they stopped using PC terms to define their points of view. The terms become more meaningless labels for "right and wrong" and we may as well just call it The Greens vs. The Blues or some other arbitrary names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality