Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 07:16 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am a Christian, not an atheist, and it sounded to me as if the pastor was dismissing the rape with the two-to-tango remark.

We had a guy who started coming to our church a couple of years ago. He lived at the motel down the street where social services stashes people until they can find housing. He was intelligent and well-spoken and had a hard-luck story of losing his job, etc. Guy was in his 50s.

Then my priest got a call from the cops. Guy had taken a truck someone left running outside the 7-11 and was arrested 15 minutes later. He told the police to call the church and have the priest hold his belongings from the motel. But...then the cop mentioned that when he was arrested, the guy was wearing a Tony the Tiger costume. What kind of person dresses like the? My priest had a hunch what kind of person, and he did some googling, and sure enough, the guy had been charged with child AND adult molestation in Florida, and he worked the church circuit.

Now, our priest admonished us to remember that this guy is too a child of God, and he offered to visit the man in jail and get him counseling, but he also told him he was not welcome again at our church. You have to protect people, especially our children. Bottom line.

Oh, and we are a church of ripping liberals, by the way.
And THIS is what one would expect of a pastoral leader. Of course it is the right thing to do, and I just don't get how anyone can support those like that pastor who blames the victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 07:30 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
One doesn't have to make Christians like this pastor look bad, they do it all by themselves. Jeff, how can you blame the 13 year old rape victim, who had a razor knife held to her throat, and that piece of scat pastor first of all says she is complicit, and secondly says it is no worse committing that rape than stealing candy.

How can people like you excuse or attempt to make excuses for that pastor? Did you read the link, the link where the pastor is recorded saying what he said in an interview?

Listen to it if you haven't.

https://religousnotright.wordpress.c...-two-to-tango/

I have listened to it, and the pastor is clearly talking about mutual consensual sex being equal sin for both parties, not a knife to throat rape. Why would a pastor blame the girl? That doesn't even make sense. You are so desperate to throw mud on pastors that you are not even listening to his words.

He also doesn't say rape is no worse than candy. He is only saying both things are sinful acts and sin can be forgiven. Talk about taking things way out of context.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:58 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I have listened to it, and the pastor is clearly talking about mutual consensual sex being equal sin for both parties, not a knife to throat rape. Why would a pastor blame the girl? That doesn't even make sense. You are so desperate to throw mud on pastors that you are not even listening to his words.

He also doesn't say rape is no worse than candy. He is only saying both things are sinful acts and sin can be forgiven. Talk about taking things way out of context.
But that is what Hopper was found quilt of, raping a 13 year old girl and I think Hopper was an adult at that time. Being 4aped is not a sin, the Pastor certainly either downplayed or rejected the rape cinviction. You are so ready to defend Bible believing Christians over anything

I doubt you would find it acceptable for Hopper to be placed in a similar situation if he was an atheist. The Pastor made 8t clear that the reason Hopper was not dealing with the youths was to protect Hoppers name. Should Hopper work in the church, yes BUT as church leaders are positions of authority the concregation should have been informed about his past so they could make informed decisions, accept that he is a changed man and fully accept that, accept that he is a changed man but not allow your children to be ever in a position alone with him, or as the one woman did quit that church.

Another case where you judge strickly on if they believe in Jesus like you do or not.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:17 PM

6,795 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Just when we thought the message was getting through to people, no, this pastor hires a preacher, who has multiple convictions (yeah, we know, Jesus saves), and THEN goes on to say that the 13 year old girl, who had a razor knife held to her throat, was just as much to blame!

Ask me what I think of these religious folks. No, better you do not, my tenure on this board would be quickly cut short.

Tell me, cupper, with which of the two people involved in this story do you have an ax to grind ...the pastor or the former convicted criminal? Or, maybe both?

As for the first person, I'm sure that we all - or most of us anyway - know that the pastor's words were foolish. This goes without saying. So, for crying out loud, stop making a mountain out of a mole hill! The guy evidently doesn't have the ability to articulate himself too well to begin with. However, I don't know about you but I've said things on the spur of the moment that I later regretted saying. We sometimes don't qualify our words as well as we might ...especially when put on the spot by some stupid (yes, stupid!) TV reporter out to sensationalize a story to begin with! Wake up, this is THE MEDIA!!

As for the second person, he has been unwittingly dragged into this recent nonsense ...and his original crime highlighted BECAUSE of the words from his pastor ...that he had nothing to do with. As for the woman having pulled herself and her precious kids out of the church. So what? ... she's left. No further discussion necessary.

Yes, life is a risk but we don't have to go out of our way to scare ourselves to death by things that MAY happen. Yes, I DO realize that most of us are tainted with paranoia - thanks to the damned media!! But, why, oh WHY are we allowing ourselves to fall for all of this sensationalized crud?!!

I thought that I'd made good with you, cupper, on another thread. I tried, feeling that I might be coming across as insensitive and even, perhaps, wrong with my views. But I'm now wondering if you're a somewhat vindictive person and one who has a personal stake in these kinds of topics. I don't know, so ...enough said.

Without wanting to belabor this sensationalized piece of media crap any more than is necessary - as well as giving a platform for those who are gullible enough to be caught up in it - I would just like to say two things. One, the former criminal (he served his time and is now a free man and therefore no longer a criminal) has a right to assimilate into society. NO ONE has the right to deny him that right! If he's a changed man, great. He should be given the chance to prove this. If he isn't, then he'll land himself in trouble again.

Two, a major part of Christianity - and one that I support with all my heart - is forgiveness. It's the inner duty of every 'person of Jesus' to offer forgiveness for those who ask for it. This does not mean that anyone should allow themselves to be a doormat. Christians also need to show a level of discernment. But, the act of forgiveness is paramount. Would that society - and some people on THIS board - be as willing to show the same level of humanity toward others rather than a vindictive spirit.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

Whether right or wrong, I've already made my view on this subject very clear. And, surprisingly perhaps, I'm in agreement with you on this. Yes, the pastor made a huge blunder. So what? We all make blunders at times but we don't make the sensationalistic media when we do. The pastor on the other hand took 'a sinner' (yep, I'll use that term this time) under his wing just as he should. Good for him.

What we really need to do is to move on. As long as we don't we're playing into the hands of the media who really don't give a damn about anyone or anything other than ratings . . .

Old 04-18-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
And THIS is what one would expect of a pastoral leader. Of course it is the right thing to do, and I just don't get how anyone can support those like that pastor who blames the victim.
Well now, perhaps if you are on the end of a phone line or in the presence of someone else whose sole intent is to belittle you publicly in the media YOU TOO might say something dumb! Moreover, this man is clearly a country boy who has difficulty with appropriate English to begin with. Stop vilifying the guy, for crying out loud!

You appear to have a troubling 'spirit' within you, cupper. And, I don't mean of the supernatural kind.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
This was a old case from the 1990s and he paid for his crime , but the liberal sex offender witch hunt will never forgive people for the crime and thousands of people who have committed a crime like this will never be forgiven by the government liberal sex offenders list which has no mercy for even people who have changed their lives and moved on ...... Jesus would say to only the people who have never sinned , ``caste the first stone `` ,
While I didn't want to belabor this topic I just had to grab this post and respond to it. It's SO true that once a person is 'branded' by the government and society they are forever shown no mercy by the majority as long as their offense becomes known. How any of you - especially you professed Christians - can allow yourselves to be a part of this pathetic situation speaks very badly of you. I personally could never become a member of any religious organization that would reject any past offender - regardless of their offense - from their fold. But this, appallingly, does appear to be the case considering the contents of some of the posts here.

Moreover, it's just the people who get caught that are branded. Have any of you ever considered that those in society who are caught for crimes are probably only a minority of those who actually commit crimes and never get caught? You could well be sitting next to 'a criminal' in your church pew and just not know it.

You might even be a criminal yourself.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:55 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Just when we thought the message was getting through to people, no, this pastor hires a preacher, who has multiple convictions (yeah, we know, Jesus saves), and THEN goes on to say that the 13 year old girl, who had a razor knife held to her throat, was just as much to blame!

Ask me what I think of these religious folks. No, better you do not, my tenure on this board would be quickly cut short.

It's one thing to offer forgiveness to someone with that kind of history, to offer a support network for someone trying to be a better person. There is something noble in that. But to make excuses for that sort of thing is... detestable, at best.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Tell me, cupper, with which of the two people involved in this story do you have an ax to grind ...the pastor or the former convicted criminal? Or, maybe both?

Of course both.

Quote:
As for the first person, I'm sure that we all - or most of us anyway - know that the pastor's words were foolish. This goes without saying. So, for crying out loud, stop making a mountain out of a mole hill! The guy evidently doesn't have the ability to articulate himself too well to begin with. However, I don't know about you but I've said things on the spur of the moment that I later regretted saying. We sometimes don't qualify our words as well as we might ...especially when put on the spot by some stupid (yes, stupid!) TV reporter out to sensationalize a story to begin with! Wake up, this is THE MEDIA!!
Do you not find it in the least bit disturbing that there are so many, including right here on this thread, see no problem and jump to the defense of this misogynist pastor? Does that not bother you that there is a mindset to even attempt to excuse his words, rather than condemning them in the strongest fashion? Why all the understanding from apologists for the rapist and the pastor, but virtually nothing said about the girl?

Quote:
I thought that I'd made good with you, cupper, on another thread. I tried, feeling that I might be coming across as insensitive and even, perhaps, wrong with my views. But I'm now wondering if you're a somewhat vindictive person and one who has a personal stake in these kinds of topics. I don't know, so ...enough said.
A personal stake, no. A human one, absolutely. It bothers me immensely that religious leaders, and their apologists, get a free pass in society. And yes, that goes for imams, priests, rabbis, and pastors. There are so many horrors, and not the ISIS or the Crusade ones, committed and excused in the name of religion.

Quote:
Without wanting to belabor this sensationalized piece of media crap any more than is necessary - as well as giving a platform for those who are gullible enough to be caught up in it - I would just like to say two things. One, the former criminal (he served his time and is now a free man and therefore no longer a criminal) has a right to assimilate into society. NO ONE has the right to deny him that right! If he's a changed man, great. He should be given the chance to prove this. If he isn't, then he'll land himself in trouble again.
He is on the Kentucky sex offender registry and is required to always be on it.

Quote:
Two, a major part of Christianity - and one that I support with all my heart - is forgiveness. It's the inner duty of every 'person of Jesus' to offer forgiveness for those who ask for it. This does not mean that anyone should allow themselves to be a doormat. Christians also need to show a level of discernment. But, the act of forgiveness is paramount. Would that society - and some people on THIS board - be as willing to show the same level of humanity toward others rather than a vindictive spirit.
Yet the pastor implicitly blames the victim. Nice.

I wonder how many who want to show forgiveness for convicted rapists who held razor knives to their pubescent victim feel the same way, oh, let's say, Islamic terrorists, Nazi war criminals, the Idi Amin's of the world or a Fidel Castor? Forgiveness is not an automatic virtue.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Well now, perhaps if you are on the end of a phone line or in the presence of someone else whose sole intent is to belittle you publicly in the media YOU TOO might say something dumb! Moreover, this man is clearly a country boy who has difficulty with appropriate English to begin with. Stop vilifying the guy, for crying out loud!

You appear to have a troubling 'spirit' within you, cupper. And, I don't mean of the supernatural kind.
Good grief, quit playing the persecuted Christian victim card. It gets tiresome.

Are you suggesting this pastor had no schooling? Then why is he a pastor? Most pastors I know are not stupid people. Quit excusing him, it does not look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality