Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 11:05 PM

6,795 posts, read 2,905,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
That is his pattern, and he always ducks out when called on it.
Have you got a mirror, cupper? If you have I would suggest that you take a long hard look at yourself. What you have done here - despite the 'back-patting' you've received from the few others who also need to take a long hard look at themselves - is pretty much the most disgusting thing that I've ever come across on any forum that I've participated in. I just wanted you to know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 11:25 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
The headline of this story reads: “Pro-rape pastor defends church’s hiring of child-rapist.” This headline is INTENTIONALLY misleading to grab the attention of those to whom it was designed to attract …knuckle-heads!
Nothing I'm aware of links to a headline such as you suggest.

Quote:
I won’t give names …if the shoe fits, wear it. This pastor is NOT pro-rape!! Even his inappropriate comments NEVER implied that he was pro-rape! As for “defends church’s hiring of child rapist” …this is similarly worded to raise the ire of knuckle-heads! Again, the 'shoe fits' adage. This pastor has every right to hire Thomas Hopper! While Mr. Hopper is on the Kentucky Sex Offender Register the only restriction is that he has to get permission before he’s allowed on school property. NO ONE is forbidden from hiring the man! NOR has the community any legal right to harass this man! That some of you on this thread hate the man and hate what he may have done in the past is IMMATERIAL with regard to the law of the land!
That is your opinion, but most people will first of all not hire a person such as the multiple convicted felon who raped a 13 year old girl while holding a razor knife to her throat, and secondly, most people are disgusted that any one, never mind an identifiable group of people, would defend the the rapist by inferring the poor victim was a fault.

That is disgusting and indefensible.

Quote:
That’s about it …case closed as long as Mr. Hopper makes good his word that he’s a changed man. So, to those of you on the thread that don’t like this arrangement or/and those who don’t like those of us who support the law that protects this man from YOUR inappropriate comments (remember the pastor?) …too bad. That’s the way it is.
It is the defense of the disgusting actions of the pastor that most are upset about.

Quote:
Just one more thing. Our friend, cupper, didn’t think it fitting enough to start up two threads on the topic. He had to start a third one which was designed SOLELY to discredit Christians and Christianity …not just Fundamentalist Christianity but Christianity in general. And, many of you played along. Good one, cupper!
You bet I did! I was and AM disgusted that anyone would support a pastor who suggest that a 13 year old who is violently attacked is at fault for her rape.

Quote:
Have you got a mirror, cupper? If you have I would suggest that you take a long hard look at yourself. What you have done here - despite the 'back-patting' you've received from the few others who also need to take a long hard look at themselves - is pretty much the most disgusting thing that I've ever come across on any forum that I've participated in. I just wanted you to know that.
I'll look long and hard and repetitively, and affirm that I will always, always call out the disgusting actions of pastors like this Kentucky backwoods stuck in the OT mindset that the rape victim is at fault because because of whatever friggin' thing he can come up with.

Yeah, it makes me angry that people like this continue to exist, and worse, they teach, preach, and cajole followers into the same mindset. Yes, it makes me angry, and yes, I will repeatedly point these things out.

And not just on here. There are other venues that have much further reach. And I use them as well as this forum for these type of horrible, horrible cases.

And you are proud to support both the rapist and the pastor who blames the victim. Shame on you, but you don't even see what you are doing wrong and how your thinking is wrong on this issue.

And I suppose you too call yourself a good, god believen' and fearin' christian.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:06 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
For those that are (ahem) bright enough to work things out for themselves and are not manipulated sponges of the popular media, they would know that the report this thread is based on is typical of tabloid television or ‘teletabloid’. Anyway, whether the contents of stories contained in teletabloid reporting may be true, half true or even craftily embellished, this is NOT serious journalism. Tabloid television newscasts usually incorporate flashy graphics and sensationalized stories. Often, there is a heavy emphasis on crime, stories with good video, and celebrity news. It is a form of infotainment and seems often designed to shock or even instill anger and/or fear into the viewer rather than to actually enlighten them. To keep viewers on edge, wary, suspicious, paranoid and INTERESTED in tuning in to watch in the first place guarantees sponsor dollars which, at the end of the day, is THE object behind such television. Main TV news stories (even though they too are designed to encapsulate the news into two or three minute segments peppered with commercials) don’t carry these type stories for rather obvious reasons.

Here in Australia there are at least two such teletabloid programs that I know of that reflect this same down-market, sensationalist style of journalism and entertainment. They are Today Tonight and A Current Affair. Very often these shows feature some silly reporter chasing some guy down the street, waving a microphone followed by a camera crew yelling, “What do you have to say about ripping off the system, Mr. Brown?” or some such idiotic thing. Or, sometimes they get more personal and call the guy by his first name to imply to their viewers that they (the reporter) represents ‘the everyman’. Just as often they might sneak up on the unsuspecting person they’re pursuing, stick a microphone in front of his or her face for an interview and ask slanted (and often juvenile) questions which, just as often, elicit stupid and juvenile on-the-spot responses which, by content, seem to affirm to the viewer the guilt of the person of the charges leveled against him/her.

Isolated incidents are often exaggerated by teletabloid for sensationalist purposes to give the impression to the viewer that murderers, thieves, rapists, etc. are on every suburban street corner just lying in wait to pounce on them and their families. FEAR has become perpetually ingrained into the minds of media-manipulated communities. AND, all because of the media …NOT because of any actually experiential occurances! A commonly cited example of tabloid television run amok is a series of reports in 2001 collectively dubbed The Summer of the Shark, focusing on a supposed epidemic of shark attacks after one highly publicized attack on an 8-year-old boy. In reality, there were a below-average number of shark attacks that year. The Summer of the Shark has since been remembered as an example of tabloid television perpetuating a story with no real merit beyond its ability to draw ratings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_of_the_Shark

So, what do we have here on this thread that has caused so many (probably) normally intelligent people to lose control of their reasoning abilities and rather take to emotional and inappropriate responses to those they might normally show some respect? Well, what we’re seeing here are responses from some (just a few actually) who tabloid TV was designed to rope in and to influence. Although I consider myself of fair intelligence as well as being an honest and decent man I’ve been the brunt of some pretty nasty posts that even resort to implying that “I” must also be a convicted rapist because I have the intelligence to look beyond the actual reporting of this story. While I don’t normally feel the need to affirm myself to anyone I will in this case reluctantly relent and say that I have NEVER raped anyone, NOR have I ever had any such desires!

The headline of this story reads: “Pro-rape pastor defends church’s hiring of child-rapist.” This headline is INTENTIONALLY misleading to grab the attention of those to whom it was designed to attract …knuckle-heads! I won’t give names …if the shoe fits, wear it. This pastor is NOT pro-rape!! Even his inappropriate comments NEVER implied that he was pro-rape! As for “defends church’s hiring of child rapist” …this is similarly worded to raise the ire of knuckle-heads! Again, the 'shoe fits' adage. This pastor has every right to hire Thomas Hopper! While Mr. Hopper is on the Kentucky Sex Offender Register the only restriction is that he has to get permission before he’s allowed on school property. NO ONE is forbidden from hiring the man! NOR has the community any legal right to harass this man! That some of you on this thread hate the man and hate what he may have done in the past is IMMATERIAL with regard to the law of the land!

That’s about it …case closed as long as Mr. Hopper makes good his word that he’s a changed man. So, to those of you on the thread that don’t like this arrangement or/and those who don’t like those of us who support the law that protects this man from YOUR inappropriate comments (remember the pastor?) …too bad. That’s the way it is.

Just one more thing. Our friend, cupper, didn’t think it fitting enough to start up two threads on the topic. He had to start a third one which was designed SOLELY to discredit Christians and Christianity …not just Fundamentalist Christianity but Christianity in general. And, many of you played along. Good one, cupper!
Cupper, Freak, and a couple others on this board are absolutely consumed in bias and hatred toward Religion and anything "God" related. To the point that it is an obvious major issue for them and they have been rather taken over by it.
Unfortunately for them...they live in a world that has been dominated by Religion for many, many centuries...with no overall change currently in sight.
They will continue to spit into the wind and live in a constant state of angst with their psyche saturated in overwhelming hatred towards something they are completely helpless to do anything about.
It must be very unpleasant to be them.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:53 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Cupper, Freak, and a couple others on this board are absolutely consumed in bias and hatred toward Religion and anything "God" related. To the point that it is an obvious major issue for them and they have been rather taken over by it.
I don't hate religion, but just report the harm and hypocrisy that occurs daily.
  • I hate pastors who blame the rape victim, you bet.
  • I hate Muslims who cane 60 year old women for selling alcohol because of their skewed religious beliefs.
  • I hate Scientologists and the physical abuse, the family disconnection and financial fraud they commit on their adherents.
  • I hate that a young woman is going to die because her parents thought if they prayed the disease away her hole in her heart would heal and avoided real medicine. And won't be prosecute because of friggin' religious freedom.
  • I hate that apologists will excuse any of the above.
And those are just current issues. I've only scratch the surface, and all of those happened recently, all in the past number of days.

Quote:
Unfortunately for them...they live in a world that has been dominated by Religion for many, many centuries...with no overall change currently in sight.
They will continue to spit into the wind and live in a constant state of angst with their psyche saturated in overwhelming hatred towards something they are completely helpless to do anything about.
It must be very unpleasant to be them.
Actually, at least in first world countries, we are winning. The USA is an outlier, in many western countries, religious adherents are a minority. Right now the nones, are the second larges voting block in the US, only evangelicals are larger, but just barely.

The millennials are abandoning religion at a faster and faster pace. Educated people only believe fairy tales for so long.

We're doing just find.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:43 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I don't hate religion, but just report the harm and hypocrisy that occurs daily.
  • I hate pastors who blame the rape victim, you bet.
  • I hate Muslims who cane 60 year old women for selling alcohol because of their skewed religious beliefs.
  • I hate Scientologists and the physical abuse, the family disconnection and financial fraud they commit on their adherents.
  • I hate that a young woman is going to die because her parents thought if they prayed the disease away her hole in her heart would heal and avoided real medicine. And won't be prosecute because of friggin' religious freedom.
  • I hate that apologists will excuse any of the above.
And those are just current issues. I've only scratch the surface, and all of those happened recently, all in the past number of days.

Actually, at least in first world countries, we are winning. The USA is an outlier, in many western countries, religious adherents are a minority. Right now the nones, are the second larges voting block in the US, only evangelicals are larger, but just barely.

The millennials are abandoning religion at a faster and faster pace. Educated people only believe fairy tales for so long.

We're doing just find.
Yup...you do a lot of hating. That's you personified. Mr. Hater!
The best educated millennials in this world are embracing Religion...and Religion is gaining, with them especially.
MORE people are adopting a Religious mindset than are losing it. There are some low population areas that are anomalies to the current trend...but they are of negligible significance.

If, to you, "doing just fine" is losing ground...then you are doing just fine.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:16 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
When all else fails, cry and scream hater.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:25 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
What the hell is wrong with me? Wow, could you be any more condescending? I'm talking about what the pastor said. We only have parts of the conversation, and it sounds to me like he is not talking about the rape victim. He says "a girl" not "this girl". Now if he is only talking about 13 year old girls then you might have a point, but it's debatable as to when a person develops the age of accountability and sexual activity is truly consensual or it is truly rape. If some states, the age of consent can be as low as 14. In countries like Japan, it is age 13. Are you going to claim Japaneses people are barbaric rapists?

If it is consensual, then both parties have committed sin. That's what the pastor is saying here.
Uh, no it isn't. The youngest aoc is 16 in this Country.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:27 AM

Jeff always believes the "Christian" no matter what. You guys should have realized this a long time ago. No matter their crime or what they did he will always stand up for them. The only example where he didn't was with the Dugger son. And that was only after it was evident to the blind that he had issues.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:30 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,789 times
Christ was looked down upon, reviled, and hated. We follow Him. Of course we are also looked down upon. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:43 AM

Honestly, most Christians aren't really looked down upon. I do think they tend to get a bit more flack because for some reasons some Christians feel the need to project their opinions outward in this Country. Whereas other religions tend to keep their views rather internal. You obviously could say Muslims do the same *albeit more violently* outside of this Country as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality