Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:17 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Do you have evidence for this?
For what? That the media are leeches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 07:40 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
So it is just your opinion and you think 6ou are better than us because you saw through the media was after the church. Whatever

Old 04-19-2016, 07:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
World-wide tens of thousands of people are part of the media. Are they all "leeches" or is that reserved for the people who write stories you don't like?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:05 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,223,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Why don't you post his full comments instead of the two to tango bit? Of course not because he doesn't look that bad in full context which is this:

"This is a situation if that girl chooses.... It takes two to tango, Ok If that girl chooses to sleep with him, she is just as guilty as he is". Now does that sound like rape to you? Either pastor is talking about someone else or rape never occurred here. It's not rape if a girl chooses to have sex.
So she is not even close to the age of consent. A 13 year old can not legally consent to sex. But I'm sure the razor held to her throat was a major turn on. Wow, Jeffbase40, that is messed up!

Old 04-19-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
World-wide tens of thousands of people are part of the media. Are they all "leeches" or is that reserved for the people who write stories you don't like?
I'm about to exit this thread. I have something more important to attend to than a hyped up media story that has no effect on my actual life whatsoever. If that sounds callous to you then so be it. It's just the way it is.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
I'm about to exit this thread.
Well-timed. I was going to tell you about some members of the media I know who are NOT leeches and are, in fact, some of the most ethical and hard-working people I've ever met. I was going to start with a Vietnam vet (a Chicano lapsed Catholic who would would not be especially forgiving of someone who raped a 13-year old) who today writes stories about the effects of Agent Orange. Definitely NOT a hyped-up story. Cancer doesn't need any hyping up. Especially when he writes about the guys who died before they were 40 after fighting in a war they didn't ask for. But.... you're obviously not interested in much beyond name calling.....so...... bye.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:48 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
I'm about to exit this thread. I have something more important to attend to than a hyped up media story that has no effect on my actual life whatsoever. If that sounds callous to you then so be it. It's just the way it is.
No, callous would not be the word I would use for all your comments on these three threads.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:06 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Be sure to let us know if you'd say to a paroled rapist, "Right on brother! I forgive you and I think it's awesome you're dating my sister."
Forgive him for what? Show me a Bible passage which condemns raping. As far as I can tell, so long as you buy her afterwards, it's not a problem.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:10 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times
Quote:
So if it doesn't directly affect you, you just don't care about it? How very thoughtful....

We will be sure to tell rape victims everywhere that RomulusXXV from CityData doesn't care about them at all. In fact, he/she cares more about how a convicted rapist and his defender are portrayed than about the victims of his.

Quit with the Christian persecution crap, Rom. You are getting to be like Jeffbase. I do have a question for you though.... Have you been convicted of rape or another serious crime? I ask this in all seriousness, because I can't think of another reason you would so vehemently defend this rapist and pastor. Unless you are doing it because they are "Christians ", in which case you are a hypocrite.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Well-timed. I was going to tell you about some members of the media I know who are NOT leeches and are, in fact, some of the most ethical and hard-working people I've ever met. I was going to start with a Vietnam vet (a Chicano lapsed Catholic who would would not be especially forgiving of someone who raped a 13-year old) who today writes stories about the effects of Agent Orange. Definitely NOT a hyped-up story. Cancer doesn't need any hyping up. Especially when he writes about the guys who died before they were 40 after fighting in a war they didn't ask for. But.... you're obviously not interested in much beyond name calling.....so...... bye.
I said I was about to exit the thread and I did. I had something else to do. I did it. I'm back.

Your defense for your media friend is understandable; however, tabloid-type sensationalistic journalism (which is, I believe, the kind that we're discussing here) is quite different from that of ethical reporting. This was a deliberate attempt to cast a bad light on a pastor and his church (BEFORE the pastor came up with his inappropriate comments!) for having taken on a man formerly convicted of rape. Their intent was clearly to discredit "the Church" for allowing a rapist to join their congregation. Their intent was do do precisely what has happened on this thread, to create animosity among people. That you can't grasp this side of my argument baffles me since you don't come across normally as being dumb.

Then again, I realize that you dislike the church generally and dislike certain types of Christians specifically. You've made this very clear in most of your posts. And, on the topic that we normally discuss, I tend to agree with your reasoning for this. However, like you with your media friend, I too have friends who are Christians. And, I believe, they live their Christianity. I'm sure they would welcome anyone in their church ...including a formerly labeled 'rapist'. And, like you and your media friend, I will defend them. They believe, as I do, that forgiveness and acceptance is the most powerful tool one can possess to diffuse anger and hatred and criminal intent. The kind of attitude you and others on this thread espouse likely achieves the opposite. However, 'love' and 'acceptance' from the media doesn't arouse public interest. But, stirring the pot of hatred does.

That's my take on this topic and has been from the very beginning. I make no apologies for being who I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality