Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 01:51 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So if it doesn't directly affect you, you just don't care about it? How very thoughtful....
Noted.

Quote:
We will be sure to tell rape victims everywhere that RomulusXXV from CityData doesn't care about them at all. In fact, he/she cares more about how a convicted rapist and his defender are portrayed than about the victims of his.
Also noted.

Quote:
Quit with the Christian persecution crap, Rom. You are getting to be like Jeffbase. I do have a question for you though.... Have you been convicted of rape or another serious crime? I ask this in all seriousness, because I can't think of another reason you would so vehemently defend this rapist and pastor. Unless you are doing it because they are "Christians ", in which case you are a hypocrite.
Clearly, if I had been convicted of a serious offense you're about the last person I would confess to. You're also hardly the person I would ask to accept me, warts and all, and help me turn my life around. Interesting, the implication you use above is the very same used by the anti-gays whenever someone doesn't dislike gay people like they do. If one doesn't hate gays then they must also be gay.

Yes, I am a hypocrite sometimes. I sometimes say one thing but yet do another. I freely admit that I'm occasionally a 'sinner'. I think the wrong thoughts and I say the wrong things at times. At the end of the day, however, I think that I'm a pretty decent guy and also a forgiving kind of person. There are a number of people in my past life as well as the present who can vouch for this. To you I'm just words on a screen and vice verse. That said, I am who I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 02:07 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
No, callous would not be the word I would use for all your comments on these three threads.
That you're expecting me to actually 'feel empathy' for someone who only just came to my attention through some tabloid media stunt is somewhat weird, badlander. How long will it be before you manage to get a grip on yourself and are able to move on?

That said, I really don't give a damn what word you would use to describe me and my comments. You're no more than a stranger to me and I'm no more than a stranger to you. We're words on a screen ...same as the subject matter that you believe I'm supposed to take on board personally.

Like I said ...weird.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:32 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So people CAN NOT change in your world? Do you even have a shred of evidence that this guy is currently a rapist? After all, that's what you are saying he is CURRENTLY. No one is defending the guy's sinful act. It's despicable, but unless you have prove that the guy is still doing the acts, you are cold and unforgiving. I've seen harden criminals get out of prison and become loving faithful Christians.People can change through Christ.
...I cannot believe that you are defending a sexual predator.

You're damned right I'm cold and unforgiving. Nobody -- nobody -- deserves 'forgiveness' for sexually abusing a child. Even if he becomes Christian, what the he did doesn't magically 'unhappen'.

I'm disappointed in you, Jeff. I literally don't have the words to say just how sad your attitude makes me.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:28 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Clearly, if I had been convicted of a serious offense you're about the last person I would confess to. You're also hardly the person I would ask to accept me, warts and all, and help me turn my life around. Interesting, the implication you use above is the very same used by the anti-gays whenever someone doesn't dislike gay people like they do. If one doesn't hate gays then they must also be gay.

Yes, I am a hypocrite sometimes. I sometimes say one thing but yet do another. I freely admit that I'm occasionally a 'sinner'. I think the wrong thoughts and I say the wrong things at times. At the end of the day, however, I think that I'm a pretty decent guy and also a forgiving kind of person. There are a number of people in my past life as well as the present who can vouch for this. To you I'm just words on a screen and vice verse. That said, I am who I am.
Sounds like you likely have been convicted of something. Otherwise, why take up for this rapist and pastor, yet show no empathy towards the girls he raped. You obviously care more for your Christian pastor and convicted predator than you do their victims.

You have shown us all your true colors. No empathy for rape victims, yet vehemently defend the predator and pastor while screaming about the mean media persecuting good Christians like this predator and pastor.

That being said, I have plenty of people in my life who have been arrested for various things. I treat them no differently. Then again, they didn't rape a child with a razor to her throat, and then get arrested multiple times afterwards for the same offense.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:34 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post

You're damned right I'm cold and unforgiving. Nobody -- nobody -- deserves 'forgiveness' for sexually abusing a child. Even if he becomes Christian, what the he did doesn't magically 'unhappen'.

I'm disappointed in you, Jeff. I literally don't have the words to say just how sad your attitude makes me.
They MAY get a bit of forgiveness, but they sure as hell will NEVER get a position where they interact with those who can be manipulated and coerced whether they be ADULT women or children.

The whole point of disgust is the LOCATION in which this convicted pedophile is working, the LACK and TOTAL disregard to inform the public and the callousness of this so-called pastor who sounds more like a tool.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:57 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post

How sad to know that your level of forgiveness is condition based. Thankfully I serve a God who offers us a new chance no matter how far we fall off the radar of morality. What is so horrible about judging people by what they currently do versus actions in the past? I also don't judge people without knowing all the facts. You read a sensationalist news piece and act like you already know the guy enough to condemn him. For all you know, the guy might have been doped out of his mind 20 years ago when he did this act. Not saying that excuses the act, but it certainly would lead away from the notion that he is just pure evil beyond hope.

This thread was nothing more than a trap. If you don't join in Christian bashing, suddenly you are painted as a defender of sexual predator. I don't defend sexual predators. I don't defend rapists or child molestors because you know, they have to be ACTIVELY DOING it to be one. You have no proof that this guy did not change. If he is harming people presently, I'm all for locking him up and throwing away the key.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:05 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
How sad to know that your level of forgiveness is condition based. Thankfully I serve a God who offers us a new chance no matter how far we fall off the radar of morality. What is so horrible about judging people by what they currently do versus actions in the past? I also don't judge people without knowing all the facts. You read a sensationalist news piece and act like you already know the guy enough to condemn him. For all you know, the guy might have been doped out of his mind 20 years ago when he did this act. Not saying that excuses the act, but it certainly would lead away from the notion that he is just pure evil beyond hope.

This thread was nothing more than a trap. If you don't join in Christian bashing, suddenly you are painted as a defender of sexual predator. I don't defend sexual predators. I don't defend rapists or child molestors because you know, they have to be ACTIVELY DOING it to be one. You have no proof that this guy did not change. If he is harming people presently, I'm all for locking him up and throwing away the key.
Just look at the bold for a moment, Jeff. This was not the only rape he committed. He has committed MULTIPLE rapes/assaults, spanning 2 different decades. You act as if he was only convicted of 1. There could even be others that we don't know about, that he didn't get caught for.

The point is, this guy has shown he is incapable of stopping, at least up to this point. Until he can prove otherwise, he shouldn't be given trust.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:14 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
I think it's not unreasonable that Christians are reacting so negatively to these threads. It ends up coming off as a critique of all religious people, regardless of that being the intention, and a Christian who of course thinks the sexual abuse of a 13 year old is wrong is going to be a bit put off when someone tries to imply that Christianity is ok with something like that. Or that offering forgiveness to former sex abusers is an endorsement of sexual violence.

On the other hand, the down playing of sexual abuse is disturbingly common among more conservative/fundamentalist religious groups and particularly church leadership. It's a problem that should be addressed. I understand why they do it. Having a prominent member of the church do something like that will certainly tarnish the church a bit, so they make it about him finding Jesus and everyone being a sinner. And these are both fine, but maybe adding in holding the abuser accountable would be a good idea to make it seem like you are taking the abuse seriously and not just trying to improve church PR. You can forgive someone and still hold them accountable for any wrong doings, after all. You can give people a second chance and still recognize what they did.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:47 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
That you're expecting me to actually 'feel empathy' for someone who only just came to my attention through some tabloid media stunt is somewhat weird, badlander. How long will it be before you manage to get a grip on yourself and are able to move on?

That said, I really don't give a damn what word you would use to describe me and my comments. You're no more than a stranger to me and I'm no more than a stranger to you. We're words on a screen ...same as the subject matter that you believe I'm supposed to take on board personally.

Like I said ...weird.
Maybe if you made the effort to read what others post the word dishonest would not cross my mind when I read your posts. I never once stated that it was wrong for the church to hire him for example. I guess my big error is I thought that a forum was where someone starts a thread and if you find the topic interesting you read it and if you feel like you would like to contribute you do so. You have posted ,any times on these threads, why are you so special and can state what you want and the rest of us should be quiet? No you just want to show that you are somehow superior to the rest of us but you are not, I never asked for you to show empathy to anyone and not sure who you 3ven think I feel your empathy should be directed to. If you reason for posting on threads is to rile others I don't think you succeeded. I wonder if my moving on you mean to let you have the last word. I had a good night's sleep, now going to have breakfast and then get on with my day, which might include being back onto this thread or it might not. Where I have not a grip on myself is only in your imagination or perhaps in your narration to make yourself appear superior.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I feel like if he had been upfront about his past crimes from the get-go (ie. take personal accountability, at risk of being judged and shunned), that speaks more of being a changed man than simply serving the time he was ordered to serve. For a crime as serious as rape, I don't believe in the old "He payed his debt to society" for two reasons:

1. One can serve his sentence and not regret the crime one bit
2. For the victim, rape is never truly in the past. The rapist can serve time and expect to be treated like it's something they did in the past... but the victim does not have that luxury.

Of course, having been on the receiving end of rape, I'm unapologetically biased. I don't care if my rapist ever "gets right with the lord" and "is a changed man"; to me he will always be a rapist and screw anyone who tries to downplay it as part of his past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality