Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:24 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
The child can still be baptized if they want to enter the Church later. I feel you should point that out. It would be a happy medium. Just because your wife wants it doesn't mean your feelings should be thrown under the bus.
She may not be devout, but she does still hold her beliefs. I want to respect those, which is why I'm going along with it.

Quite frankly it's more important to her that the kid gets baptized than it is to me that the kid doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 03:01 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
You should ask your mother in law and the grandmother to pray for your child , as they sound like the only ones who know God ..... See baptism or dedication to Jesus give God spiritual authority to protect the child , and a must for Heaven bound people

Old 04-21-2016, 03:02 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Or jesus could tell him?

Old 04-22-2016, 05:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I appears that few here have a problem with outright and making promises/taking vows/ lying as long as it makes things easier.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:17 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm sure the church or priest makes a few bucks on this ritual. Money is always at the root. My god parents have been dead for eons, and I'm a godmother to a couple and we've all lost total contact. People move on and move with their lives.
Do they? In churches which only baptize believers, those as well as dedication of babies is just rolled into a Sunday service. The movie scenes where it is only a Catholic priest and the invited family around may be a little different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Have you considered just letting the child choose to baptized later if s/he feels so inclined? That's what I did with all my children, and I was a full-fledged Bible-believing Christian back then.
You don't understand. It is not about the child, it is about the extended family who believes the theology that the child may be in peril if something happens before the child is able to accept or reject the family's faith

Old 04-22-2016, 02:52 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Do they? In churches which only baptize believers, those as well as dedication of babies is just rolled into a Sunday service. The movie scenes where it is only a Catholic priest and the invited family around may be a little different.

You don't understand. It is not about the child, it is about the extended family who believes the theology that the child may be in peril if something happens before the child is able to accept or reject the family's faith
OH! Ok, you're right, I did not understand that was the reason for it. Wow, so some people believe that a little baby, or child, who dies without having been baptized, is "in peril"??? And by that, I assume you mean will go to hell? To me, that is such an outrageous belief that I could have nothing to do with it or to perpetuate such nonsense.

I think OP needs to stand up for truth. And I think it's pretty safe to say that the TRUTH does not mean unbaptized babies will go to hell. Of course, this is coming from someone who doesn't believe in hell. But how could anyone believe that a god exists who would send babies to hell?!?

Old 04-22-2016, 11:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What harm can some water and a blessing do.
"You were baptized as a child" shows to the child the commitment and desires of the parents. Probably not too much harm at all, but that depends on later circumstances.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:12 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Have you decided on the religious ritual of circumcision?

This would be more of an impact on your future son then baptism, imho.
So if its a boy, are ya going with circumcision?

Last edited by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15; 04-23-2016 at 05:00 AM..

Old 04-23-2016, 07:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
So here's my question: how can I participate while still being respectful of the church and the pastor? Just because I don't share their beliefs doesn't mean I want to make a mockery of the process.
Why not! Why celebrate wilful ignorance and superstition??

Quote:
I'm really trying to be respectful of everyone's beliefs.
Again...why? What makes you think people's 'beliefs' should warrant 'respect'?

Old 04-23-2016, 07:58 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
OH! Ok, you're right, I did not understand that was the reason for it. Wow, so some people believe that a little baby, or child, who dies without having been baptized, is "in peril"??? And by that, I assume you mean will go to hell? To me, that is such an outrageous belief that I could have nothing to do with it or to perpetuate such nonsense.

I think OP needs to stand up for truth. And I think it's pretty safe to say that the TRUTH does not mean unbaptized babies will go to hell. Of course, this is coming from someone who doesn't believe in hell. But how could anyone believe that a god exists who would send babies to hell?!?
Well in the case of the most fundamental grandparents it would be the case. They may even go as far as to baptize the baby themselves when sitting if they can't find a priest willing to go behind the parents back. So you have the official position to baptize even when the priest or bishop knows a child won't be raised in the faith as with unmarried parents or same sex couples but play I see nothing and pretend there is a chance that they will while giving the opposite example at home.

For others of the extended family it is like a wedding ceremony, as opposed to just signing a certificate for the state, the preliminary event to the party given to celebrate the birth. And if that party doesn't happen then the greater community knows they, the grandparents, failed in keeping their children in the faith
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality