Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 04:49 PM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Of course when I die I die , why is that wrong? You may need to believe in life after death but it is not a fact just because you believe in it. You do not know that there is a God or that there is life after death, you believe it but you do not know it. I have lost my father, both my in-laws and a brother in law. I do not need you to tell me how it feels to loose those you love. But you do not know how it affects those who are not of your faith as you simply have no clue about us based on your assumptions and proclamations. I also know how it felt when my cats and dogs died. If your knowledge of there being a god is as good as your knowledge of what an atheists thinks or feels or what is science then you don't have a clue if there is a god or not. You would sound more reasonable if you stopped claiming you know what our lives are like or about but if you wish to continue making silly remarks and they make you feel better do not stop but don't expect us to take you serious.

Yes one can make claims about anything. I could claim that putting on your right shoe first causes lung cancer but unless I can show any stats or studies to show that it is just a nonsense claim. You made a claim that as the USA becomes less religious the suicide rate increases and that non religious nations have higher suicide rates however neither of those hold up when one looks at the numbers. It is a possibility same as almost anything is a possibility however the facts show that there is no correlation one does not then claim that it is not only possible but actually happened. The stats I provided showed that when prayer was removed from schools the suicide rate decreased until the mid or late 90s and then the rapid increase you claim only have the rates up to what they were when prayers were still in the school. Is there as possibly that religion or the lack of religion are not responsible for the suicide rates. I don't actually expect you to answer because in the past you always claim we should accept the possibility that you are right but you never will accept that you might be wrong.

As far as Barton goes I was actually listening to clips of him on a podcast today, plus I have heard his talks before. I would not accept from him that tomorrow comes after today without an independent source backing him up, he has no credibility for me and using his opinions is no better than using yours.

Anyways none of the stats that you provided back up your claim, the Nevada site never even mentioned religion in the reasons for suicide and their data showed an overall decrease in rate of suicide, a rate lower than when prayer was in schools but higher rate that states that are deemed less religious.

Too bad you have such a false sense of what atheists think and fell. I doubt you will ever accept the possibility that your claim that suicide and atheism are tied at the hips is unfounded or at least not backed but the evidence unless you cherry pick ones here and there and ignore most of the stats from even the same sites. A lack of correlation of non belief and suicides is not proof of cause and effect.

I could produce 1,000 documents and you would still reject it. You always have to attack the source because that's all you can do. I'm done wasting my time with you. You haven't proven me wrong. Not one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 05:05 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I could produce 1,000 documents and you would still reject it. You always have to attack the source because that's all you can do. I'm done wasting my time with you. You haven't proven me wrong. Not one bit.
Jeff, all you need to do is provide a credible source, which you did this time. However, your interpretation of what it said does not correlate with what you thought it said. Accept that.

You too often post sources that say the exact opposite of your perception, and yes, you will be corrected on that. Personally, I view it as a positive that you at least provided a credible link this time; too often your links are not credible at all.

Too recap:
  • provide credible links
  • understand what those links, references or citations actually say and mean
  • don't get upset when errors are pointed out
  • learn from the experience.

And most of all, don't have a confirmation bias.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:27 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Whatever. At least I took the time and effort to read your links

Old 04-25-2016, 05:37 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Much of 5he content of Jeff's original post can be found in Conservipedia as can the claim that we live a live of despair.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:46 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Much of 5he content of Jeff's original post can be found in Conservipedia as can the claim that we live a live of despair.
Yes, he is the master of cut and paste, with little original content other than crying 'persecution'.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yes, he is the master of cut and paste, with little original content other than crying 'persecution'.
You don't have any room to talk since you cut and paste any sensationalist story that makes Christians look bad.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
So Jeff is copying what someone else wrote and not giving credit to his source?

That's called plagiarism. It's the tool of word and idea thieves.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:06 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
No, the article states as fact a position that agrees with my OP. Then they try to backpedal as opinion and say that religion or lack of itself has nothing to do with the suicide rate.
Are you capable of reading? Or is it thought that is holding you back?

I clearly pointed out where the article disagrees with you. And I shouldn't have to do that in the first place, with the assumption that you read it before hand anyway. The article says atheism does nothing/little to prevent those with suicidal tendencies from committing suicide, while religion acts as a deterrent. It does not, at least the article provides no evidence, show that religion prevent suicidal tendencies, only attempts and successes of it.

If you sincerely believe the article sides with you, discussing this with you is a waste of everyone's time. You're incapable of reason. Your own bias demands that you deny that the article clearly states disagreement with your view (you label it as a back pedal, which any research study that backpedals is garbage and shouldn't even be used to defend any point, but it's not backpedaling, it's being honest) and continue to live in a magic land where everyone else's evidence is wrong. Which is stupid of you. There's no way around that.

You can say my bias is forcing me to disagree, but the thing is, I don't think that my atheism deters from my valuing of life. Quite the opposite actually. But the numbers are what they are and I'm sure someone with suicidal tendencies values life quite differently that someone without. But that's my view. Maybe it's too objective for you...

Old 04-25-2016, 08:17 PM

33,550 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Why do you act like that is a ridiculous belief? There is no hope in atheism. You can tell me how much you enjoy life and great things are. Guess what, all that can be snatched away in an instance. No amount of doctors, money, or friends can save you from death. And in the end, it doesn't matter how popular you are, you die alone and face an uncertain destination. Best case scenario is the hope that you simply won't exist anymore. In the world of atheism, you'll never get to see your deceased love ones again. That certainly is a gut punch when you lose someone special unexpectedly. In the atheist world, you're just another flesh bag of chemicals and cells consuming resources, returning to dust. The floor is swept and the next set of life forms takes over. Praise God none of that is true.

You could easily make this claim against anything. Prove to me that eating hot dogs causes cancer. Well see, we did all these studies and it suggests a correlation. Yeah, it suggests. Doesn't prove.

There is a striking downspiral that started right when prayer left school. You have to at least admit that is a possibility.

What Happened When The Praying Stopped?
I have a news flash for you....Your fate after death is exactly the same as mine....You can choose to be buried or cremated, but either way that will be the end of Jeff...No seeing loved ones alive or dead because there is no afterlife for any of us.... We are all just a bag of mostly water...I have no idea why anyone would fear death, as it is simply the state of non existence, the same state we were in before we were conceived.

I'm reaching the end of my life and am in the process of winding up my affairs, deciding what I'll leave my kids, grandkids and great grandkids, and what I'll donate to my favorite charities....I have decided on a green burial, the most natural way... Green Burial at Royal Oak Burial Park | Royal Oak Burial Park

Old 04-25-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So Jeff is copying what someone else wrote and not giving credit to his source?

That's called plagiarism. It's the tool of word and idea thieves.
I always post the links to my sources. Have you sunk to just posting blatant lies about me now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality