Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 12:32 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,151,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
That wasn't the question. There was no proviso about the dominant religion.

Perhaps you could explain why a very religious country like the US has a suicide rate of 12.38% whilst a country that is not very religious...like the UK has a rate of only 6.28%
SUICIDE DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY
That is a great, and useful link Rafius....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 05:27 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,717,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Jeff, pointing to an increase in suicide in the US (it is going up worldwide) and blaming it on atheism ("suicide and atheism are joined at the hip").
I get that. I was just enjoying the irony of him complaining about other people "ranting" in a post in a thread he created specifically to rant.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If I lived in a community that was dominantly Muslim or Buddhist I wouldn't raise a fuss about it.
But why wouldn't minorities have the same religious rights everyone else does?

Hmm, come to think of it, during Jeff's golden age of suicides, schools were segregated. I'm starting to see the big picture here.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yeah, that is really a strange way of looking at this issue.

It's pretty much "might makes right."
At least it explains why he's so worried about the increasing number of non-believers in this country. He doesn't understand that not everyone is out to persecute minorities. Some people have a hard time understanding that other people aren't exactly the same as they are - you can tell what they really think by the imaginary clones of them that they're fighting against.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:55 AM

10,089 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Do you know what a question mark is? Or did your brain not comprehend I asked a question?

It's not looking good for you Jeffy. I suggest looking into remedial English classes as well as a civic class.
Your question mark was clearly intended as an accusation. Keep your suggestions to yourself. I'll take advice from people who ya know, don't insult me and come off condescending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

p.s. Your instructors will not be impressed if you use Conservapedia as a source. They'll be able to steer you to something more scholarly and less biased. Nor should you use The Daily Mail, the National Enquirer or something your pastor told you during a sermon about the moral decay of America.

Right, I should only use atheist secular sources huh? No bias there, right?? I will use a variety of sources including my own logic and reasoning. My reasoning shows me the hopelessness of atheism and when you promote that, no wonder the suicide rate keeps going up and up.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:56 AM

605 posts, read 491,621 times
Read through the first ten pages of comments. While Jeff may be overstating/misrepresenting the conclusions of the study he presented, I think most of the commenters are also being overly dismissive of the claim that atheism may have a deleterious effect on mental health.

'In another review of 93 studies on religion and health, Dr. Harold G. Koenig, director of the Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health at Duke University Medical Center, found that more religious people had fewer depressive symptoms. "People who are more involved in religious practices and who are more religiously committed seem to cope better with stress," Koenig said. "One of the reasons is because [religion] gives people a sense of purpose and meaning in life, and that helps them to make sense of negative things that happen to them," Koenig said. A person's religious community can also provide support and encouragement through hard times, he said.'

God Help Us? How Religion is Good (And Bad) For Mental Health

PS: I'm an atheist

Old 04-26-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Not really, Jeff. I cite them, and link to them, with commentary. There is a difference between cutting and pasting and claiming it as your own. It's called plagiarism, and also infringes on most copyrights. I may cut and paste short excerpts, but ALWAYS link and accredit the original source.
Again, your gas tank must be really empty if you are going to resort to making up lies about me. I will quote text from an article, but I ALWAYS make an effort to post the link to the article and never attribute it as my words.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What you have here is purely wishful fantasy that was born when people had no concept of how the universe worked...There is no proof of what you believe either, because everything you think you know is based on ancient hearsay....Tell me Jeff how are the testimonials of people encountering spirits any different that those who claim to have been anally probed by extraterrestrials?

A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is a superstition.
José Bergamín
You can call our beliefs fairy and fantasy all you want. Shout it to the heavens until you strain your vocal chords. It won't change the REALITY that God exists. Everything I believe is based on God's Word which is amazingly relevant even today and personal experiences. The evidence is out there, and it's frustrating that people like you defiantly remain so blind to it.

In your nutty fantasy world, you have to accept things like the placebo effect which in essence is the acknowledgement that our mental thoughts have the power to create real physical changes and healing. If I was an atheist, I would call that magic.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:12 AM

605 posts, read 491,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You can call our beliefs fairy and fantasy all you want. Shout it to the heavens until you strain your vocal chords. It won't change the REALITY that God exists. Everything I believe is based on God's Word which is amazingly relevant even today and personal experiences. The evidence is out there, and it's frustrating that people like you defiantly remain so blind to it.

In your nutty fantasy world, you have to accept things like the placebo effect which in essence is the acknowledgement that our mental thoughts have the power to create real physical changes and healing. If I was an atheist, I would call that magic.
'...PiPS—a 2012 study showing that genetic variations may explain why only certain people respond to placebo effects—has caught the attention of the Food and Drug Administration.
That study, published [in October 2012] in PLOS ONE, showed that patients with a certain variation of a gene linked to the release of dopamine were more likely to respond to sham acupuncture than patients with a different variation—findings that could change the way pharmaceutical companies conduct drug trials, says Gunther Winkler, principal of ASPB Consulting, LLC, which advises biotech and pharmaceutical firms.'

Ted Kaptchuk of Harvard Medical School studies placebos | Harvard Magazine

It's not magic. It's just not yet well understood.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
Read through the first ten pages of comments. While Jeff may be overstating/misrepresenting the conclusions of the study he presented, I think most of the commenters are also being overly dismissive of the claim that atheism may have a deleterious effect on mental health.

'In another review of 93 studies on religion and health, Dr. Harold G. Koenig, director of the Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health at Duke University Medical Center, found that more religious people had fewer depressive symptoms. "People who are more involved in religious practices and who are more religiously committed seem to cope better with stress," Koenig said. "One of the reasons is because [religion] gives people a sense of purpose and meaning in life, and that helps them to make sense of negative things that happen to them," Koenig said. A person's religious community can also provide support and encouragement through hard times, he said.'

God Help Us? How Religion is Good (And Bad) For Mental Health

PS: I'm an atheist
Yes. I am afraid that we we get temped into being over dismissive because the data is so often overly aimed at atheism. The whole point of quoting the data on suicides (which did not indicate a cause) was to link with a perceived increase in atheism. We of course leap in to query not the data but he way it is being applied.

We are aware off the therapeutic used of religion. The response is twofold - even if it can help people cope, that usefulness does not outweigh the need to shed myth and superstition. The other point is that we can understand and use the placebo -effect of religion without needing to be saddled with the claptrap and myth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality