Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
We have a free will, and so do others. You can try to be clever and spin in however you want to. Neither you nor I can figure this stuff out. We can either accept that God is in charge and trust Him, or we can be confused and try aimlessly to figure the world out.
Yeah, this is the siren song of ignorance. Just accept God, bury yourself in some ancient religion and pretend that all of the answers are there.

Forget about trying to figure out how the world works, don't ask questions, and for heaven's sake, do not - I repeat - do not question authority.

It's time to shut down those 200 billion or so neurons in your brain and leave on just a handful that will allow you to perform the basic functions like going to work, cooking dinner, running to the store because you're out of toilet paper, and feeding the dog.

Gotta crush those critical thinking skills, that skepticism, that curiosity ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:44 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If you love God, why are you supporting the God is Evil crowd?
And who are you to call them evil. I suspect some of them have never told a homosexual to stay out of church until they pray the gay away. I suspect some of them work at homeless shelters, food banks, do volunteer work at retirement homes, cook meals to feed hungry people, work with boy or girl scout organizations, drive a disabled person to the store, cut someone's lawn, visit those in prison, or sit beside someone in a hospital room, and a myriad of other things that Jesus made certain in the Sermon on the Mount that we understand is paramount to being His "follower."

But you have the hubris to lump people not thinking like you do into an "evil" crowd.

That is EXACTLY what the Pharisees did. Those who didn't speak, act, believe, or pray in the way they did were considered "evil" or the "other." You are a 21st century Pharisee, looking at the outside, never at the heart. And that is because you have polished your exterior to be shiny while on the inside that judgmental soul is but a pile of bones with no heart for the real afflicted in the world.

Even if they were your avoid, pronounced, and ardent enemies how did Jesus instruct us to treat our enemies? By calling them names?

Where is your biblical understanding of who are the real enemies of Jesus. What other group of "sinners" in the NT are there that received more "Woe unto you" statements than those who were the most religious?
There are no "Woe unto you, adulterers," or Woe unto you, homosexuals," or Woe unto you," cross dressers," or "Woe unto you anything" EXCEPT those who were the most biblically literate of Jesus' day--the Pharisees.

Those "sacred" tomes are faith myths by people explaining their understanding of God. And no, I do not use myth in the SECOND way of understanding it--I use it in the PRIMARY understanding of myth as a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.

I have no problem with those myths until some idjut comes along trying to make them "facts." The FACT is that people without your understanding of God CAN do the works of God. Why should you then roll all of them up into an "evil" crowd. I see them as being messengers from God to make us THINK about what we believe and to make sure our ACTIONS live up to the flap of our lips.

Don't come to "spiritual" conclusions with your data unless you are also willing to reach the same spiritual conclusion of "bankruptcy" with regard to the data showing people fleeing American christianity in droves.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:19 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Yeah, this is the siren song of ignorance. Just accept God, bury yourself in some ancient religion and pretend that all of the answers are there.

Forget about trying to figure out how the world works, don't ask questions, and for heaven's sake, do not - I repeat - do not question authority.

It's time to shut down those 200 billion or so neurons in your brain and leave on just a handful that will allow you to perform the basic functions like going to work, cooking dinner, running to the store because you're out of toilet paper, and feeding the dog.

Gotta crush those critical thinking skills, that skepticism, that curiosity ...

Oh I see, so the millions of people who are not atheists are just stupid and not using their brains, huh? The irony is since you have shut your brain off even to the remote possibility that there is more to this life than live, breathe and die, you choose a path of spiritual ignorance.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:27 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Oh I see, so the millions of people who are not atheists are just stupid and not using their brains, huh? The irony is since you have shut your brain off even to the remote possibility that there is more to this life than live, breathe and die, you choose a path of spiritual ignorance.
I'm not aware of many atheists who will consider that there is a god of some sort, but as the saying goes, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

There is no verifiable proof of any sort that a god exits. Your bible doesn't count as proof, just like the Harry Potter books don't provide proof of Hogswarts.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:43 PM

20,010 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
We can either accept that God is in charge and trust Him, or we can be confused and try aimlessly to figure the world out.
Totally false choice.

There are other options, such as to systematically figure the world out while controlling for out demonstrable tendency to confirmation bias. It is not a choice of accepting dogma by faith or wandering around in some sort of daze.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:50 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't atheists know there is more to this life than live, breathe and die?

The atheists I know have extremely full lives. Maybe more so BECAUSE they can't just write this one off as inconsequential as compared to "the afterlife." They have to live to the fullest and make an impact and a difference for themselves and for the future, right now, here on earth. They can't just white-knuckle it through their lives waiting for their "reward" and write off life on earth as a temporary stop to grit one's teeth to on the way to Paradise.

Your "more to life" comment simply doesn't fit.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:02 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
They most likely died from starvation because man is sinful and won't follow God's word. Just think how our society would change if millions of Americans donated just one day and one dollar a month to the needy and hungry? It would be an instant revolution.

God's not going to force people to do good things. He won't violate free will. And that makes Him a good God.
Oh? Drowning the entire world's human population - 8 did not violate anyone's free will? What choices were people able to make for themselves after they were drowned?

Old 04-27-2016, 02:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Oh? Drowning the entire world's human population - 8 did not violate anyone's free will? What choices were people able to make for themselves after they were drowned?
I know.

"God would NEVER keep an infant from crawling out into 70mph traffic! That would totally violate his free will which would be so UNLOVING!

...he'd drown the entire freakin' earth, though."

Old 04-27-2016, 02:06 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Why do you give the creator of all, including creating sinfull men who will keep food from children so that 20000 CHILDREN die each and every day, a free pass Jeff?

Why doesn't jesus do something to correct this godly atrocity Jeff?

You do think 20000 children dying of starvation each and everyday is an atrocity, don't you Jeff?
Why would he? His God doesn't.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:38 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I'm not aware of many atheists who will consider that there is a god of some sort, but as the saying goes, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

There is no verifiable proof of any sort that a god exits. Your bible doesn't count as proof, just like the Harry Potter books don't provide proof of Hogswarts.
You won't even define what is required to be considered valid proof. Probably because you would be too scared to have to finally admit that God is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality