Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 09:30 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times

Advertisements

Hah I only just found this right now entirely by mistake because I was looking for another post with my username in it that I could not find and this showed up in the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I can tell you I'm not Troutdude or Nozz. I've argued with Nozz before, actually, LOL. We for sure don't agree. I don't like him very much (sorry, Nozz)
No problem! You do not actually know ME, just the forum persona I have on this website. So it is impossible to take you liking me, or not liking me, personally on ANY level.... because the person you like or do not like bears very little resemblance to the real me in real life. Especially in the ways that actually matter to me in real life. It is like when you enjoy going out with the people you work with, but you hate them in work. Because the person they have to be, and the way they conduct themselves, in work.... is often in many ways not the person they are outside work. On this forum I shut down a lot of emotion and similar things and just engage in a cold intellectual way. To be honest.... I probably would not like that me either were I to meet me

Actually I genuinely do not remember ever talking directly to you before, or what the subject might have been about. At all. So I will have to take your word for it, or give me a clue what the topic was and it might spark something. I am genuinely curious now.

Did you change your username at some point? Perhaps that is why I have not registered our conversation? I have read a few of yours posts, I just do not recall any of them being with me.

Quote:
Troutdude is not an atheist, LOL. Nozz is, though.
Quote:
The ONLY person in the "three exactly alike atheists" example Jeff gave who actually is an atheist is Nozzferatoo, LOL.
I have written on this forum quite a lot on how I do not actually identify with the terms atheist OR agnostic that much at all. I certainly never call myself either of them, except on the very rare occasion where not doing so would require me to double the length of my post and the label is otherwise entirely incidental to the point I am making. But I would be surprised in all my posts if that was more than 5 or 6 times.

So Jeff is pretty much wrong with all three of his examples then, not just one. But he is consistently wrong on most things he says about atheists in general, so I would not single out this one error and make too much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 09:48 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Hah I only just found this right now entirely by mistake because I was looking for another post with my username in it that I could not find and this showed up in the results

No problem! You do not actually know ME, just the forum persona I have on this website. So it is impossible to take you liking me, or not liking me, personally on ANY level.... because the person you like or do not like bears very little resemblance to the real me in real life. Especially in the ways that actually matter to me in real life. It is like when you enjoy going out with the people you work with, but you hate them in work. Because the person they have to be, and the way they conduct themselves, in work.... is often in many ways not the person they are outside work. On this forum I shut down a lot of emotion and similar things and just engage in a cold intellectual way. To be honest.... I probably would not like that me either were I to meet me

Actually I genuinely do not remember ever talking directly to you before, or what the subject might have been about. At all. So I will have to take your word for it, or give me a clue what the topic was and it might spark something. I am genuinely curious now.

Did you change your username at some point? Perhaps that is why I have not registered our conversation? I have read a few of yours posts, I just do not recall any of them being with me.

I have written on this forum quite a lot on how I do not actually identify with the terms atheist OR agnostic that much at all. I certainly never call myself either of them, except on the very rare occasion where not doing so would require me to double the length of my post and the label is otherwise entirely incidental to the point I am making. But I would be surprised in all my posts if that was more than 5 or 6 times.

So Jeff is pretty much wrong with all three of his examples then, not just one. But he is consistently wrong on most things he says about atheists in general, so I would not single out this one error and make too much of it.
Oh, I'm sorry, so you're right, that's zero for three! This just goes to show what assumptions can do.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:51 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Jeff has no interest in anyone but himself.

He's created a persecution complex which interprets any disagreement as attacks from enemies - on himself and his god.

Therefore, in jeffland, practically every poster here is an atheist.
That's kind of what I was thinking as well.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:19 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, so you're right, that's zero for three! This just goes to show what assumptions can do.
Sort of. Yes and no. Nozz does not like the atheist label because he regards his lack of belief in deities as an outgrowth of the fact that he does not believe unsubstantiated nonsense -- that is what he regards as his core identity. Atheism itself, he rightly opines, is far too narrow a basis for it to reflect much of anything on its own.

So although he disavows the label, for very clear reasons, he is still an atheist in the technical, definitional sense that he does not believe in any deities whatsoever. It's just that he sees that as a consequence of his evidential standards rather than as a thing-in-itself.

I have to say, that in meatspace I do not label myself atheist either, because it generates heat rather than light. I have only been asked exactly twice in my entire life if I was an atheist and in both cases after making sure the questioner understood what "atheist" means, I accepted the label. But I do not find myself identifying as atheist in any significant way because of the simple fact I prefer to be known as a thoughtful, intelligent person with well-considered opinions. And when, once in a blue moon, someone wants to know my opinion of God generally or Christianity specifically and I think their interest is genuine I will inform the of it, and based on the inherent definition of what an atheist is, I would have to admit to being one. But like Nozz i would prefer to be known as a person with a good BS filter and decent evidential standards who, as a result of that, happens to be, among other things, an atheist.

In truth, that drives many believers to far greater heights of distraction anyway, because if I am just someone they can superimpose their stereotype of godless / hateful / bitter / angry / rude / unhappy / Nihilistic / suicidal / subversive / whatever Atheist, it is far more comfortable for them than to realize that I simply see zero reason to believe their asserted dogma of choice or to give it any credence. That is far harder for them to take. And also, it's harder for them to realize that rather than hating their deity -- which is just a form of disappointed love and carries with it the seed of hope that I might be reconciled somehow -- I am INDIFFERENT to their imaginary friend. That is the true opposite of love: indifference. Much harder to dismiss :-)

Old 04-28-2016, 10:45 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
... based on the inherent definition of what an atheist is, I would have to admit to being one. But like Nozz, I would prefer to be known as a person with a good BS filter and decent evidential standards who, as a result of that, happens to be, among other things, an atheist.
I don't like the atheist label either. To me it signifies that theism is the default position and that I am somehow ... well you know ... an atheist! Like 'unbeliever', 'godless' or whatever. But I do fit the definition of atheist.

I too, like to think I have a functional BS filter.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
God made everything, including the ability to choose. God made a swamp full of alligators, but you have enough sense to choose not to go swimming don't you? Your choice. Life or death -- but don't blame God for your decision.
Literally that would be illegal in our civil society. You can't go around making swamps full of alligators and expecting others to fend for themselves and not blame you.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Your hatred toward God is evident, and that means you really hate humanity because sin equals death. It's a law of nature, like gravity.

Also, religion has nothing to do with God, but a contrite and obedient heart do. So, you speak without knowledge, thus making your statements ridiculous and without any merit.
Hatred towards God? I love the Allah, Yahweh, and Jesus of my good Muslim, Jew, and Christian friends. The evil God imagined and beloved in the heads of evil/ignorant people [in that regard] is the god I hate.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-29-2016 at 12:10 AM..

Old 04-28-2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
How can one hate an imaginary entity, critter, being, person, or whatever one envisions that one doesn't even have any belief in?

I bet you don't hate Zeus, Ra, Vishnu, Mazda, Quetzalcoatl, or a plethora of other imaginary gods, do you?
He might, might be one of those who worships an insecure, jealous god [Self-Ego] after all.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-29-2016 at 12:56 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
false hope brings real strenght.
real ignorance can also bring real strength.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I know. What an obsession these people have toward a fantasy... Fact is, they have hatred toward God and thus hate themselves and their children -- and all of humanity too.
You seem obsessed with them more than they seem to care about you or vague God. It used to be that the ignorant Christians would proclaim that they thought with divine certainty that atheists were narcissistic self-worshipers, not that they hated themselves. I guess the self-righteous flip-flopped on that idea for today.

Jesus says "hate your children and all of humanity too, I came to separate families and burn humanity down in order to test the Gold [rightless property] from the weeds by fire on both of them"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality