Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:02 AM

378 posts, read 246,236 times

Advertisements

i remember when i watched the movie A Christmas Without Snow at one point during the performance of Handel's Messiah, when Daisietta Kim was singing her solo, the church was quiet when listening to her. Now i have watched Jimmy Swaggart's church as well a few other churches where the crowd would be excited, shouting during choruses(those are the songs that Pencostals are known for singing) and also during Brother Swaggart's sermon but maybe that's because they are Pentecostal churches whereas the church that was in the movie was either Catholic or Lutheran and the rules for those churches were different. Also in the movie there is just a organ whereas in Swaggart's church(and in many other Pentecostal churches) there is a full band and also sometimes people would be dancing during songs is there are reason why some churches are quiet while other are really enthusiastic during service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 07:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400 View Post
i remember when i watched the movie A Christmas Without Snow at one point during the performance of Handel's Messiah, when Daisietta Kim was singing her solo, the church was quiet when listening to her. Now i have watched Jimmy Swaggart's church as well a few other churches where the crowd would be excited, shouting during choruses(those are the songs that Pencostals are known for singing) and also during Brother Swaggart's sermon but maybe that's because they are Pentecostal churches whereas the church that was in the movie was either Catholic or Lutheran and the rules for those churches were different. Also in the movie there is just a organ whereas in Swaggart's church(and in many other Pentecostal churches) there is a full band and also sometimes people would be dancing during songs is there are reason why some churches are quiet while other are really enthusiastic during service?
The same reason people are quiet during a prom (apart from obbligato coughing, dropping beer -bottles and mobile phones going off) and screaming and yelling during a rock concert. It is a difference ambience expected and obtained.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:20 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The same reason people are quiet during a prom (apart from obbligato coughing, dropping beer -bottles and mobile phones going off) and screaming and yelling during a rock concert. It is a difference ambience expected and obtained.
Not a bad summation.

It's a doctrinal thing, as well. Some churches teach that the Holy Spirit is moving and shaking and causing people to act like that. I grew up Catholic, and we were never taught anything like that. Now, in my Evangelical Church, I still haven't seen any doctrinal reason why the Spirit would move in a church setting like that, and I believe that Paul wrote in 1 Cor 13 that we ought to be under control.

Other churches just tend to be more lively. The first time I got an "AMEN!" when I was preaching I was just kind of shocked. I hadn't expected it, and didn't preach to try to elicit that response. Some pastors do--depending on the congregation. That's ok--that's just the tradition they're in.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:20 PM

378 posts, read 246,236 times
I'm not being mean i just saying that when i saw this movie(it was made in 1980) it was in a church where the people were quiet. also the audience is not shouting things like "Amen!" or "Come on!" at the soprano soloist, Daisietta Kim where as in a church like Swaggart's or even Oral Roberts, the crowd would shout those things at Jimmy or Oral(i remember one time, the crowd in Oral's church got really excited at what he was talking about that i thought they had gone crazy. My mom told me it was the style of churches like Oral's or even Jimmy Swaggart's back in the day)

Old 04-26-2016, 06:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
It's a "frenzy" type of thing.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:58 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The first time I got an "AMEN!" when I was preaching I was just kind of shocked. I hadn't expected it, and didn't preach to try to elicit that response.
That made me laugh. If someone shouted "Amen!" in an LDS worship service (in response to something that was said in a "sermon"), I can just see the faces of the entire congregation:

We all say a more or less reverent, "Amen" at the end of a prayer, but that's about as rowdy as we get.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:14 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That made me laugh. If someone shouted "Amen!" in an LDS worship service (in response to something that was said in a "sermon"), I can just see the faces of the entire congregation:

We all say a more or less reverent, "Amen" at the end of a prayer, but that's about as rowdy as we get.
Yes, I grew up in the Reformed Church, where you sat still and were quiet for a long, boring sermon that followed a long, boring prayer. For some reason we all went to a Pentecostal Service where someone was speaking in an auditorium, and the people yelling "Praise the Lord!" and whatnot throughout the speech were at first shocking, then my siblings and I got the giggles waiting for the next outburst. We'd never seen or heard that behavior before.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:52 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,911,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Yes, that's what I've found in my recent Sunday visits to a Mormon Church. Apparently the sanctuary is a place of total reverence ...although a few mild quips might be made from the pulpit to elicit modest laughter from the congregation. They don't appear to be 'stuffy' ....just reverent. None of their hymn singing encourages any tapping of the feet ...I'm a musician, I've tried, can't do it. Afterwards, however, when socializing I find these very same people for the most part warm and friendly and some of them quite fun. While I doubt that I will ever accept Joseph Smith or the general doctrines of the LDS Church (or those of any Church) I think I'll continue to visit the church on a semi-regular basis for the fellowship alone.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:17 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That's ok--that's just the tradition they're in.
Precisely. Reference the song,
Tradition!
from Fiddler on the Roof.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Precisely. Reference the song,
Tradition!
from Fiddler on the Roof.
Which is back on Broadway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality