Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 04:44 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Could you make your post a little longer?
Trying...

Somehow just listing 10-15 failures seemed so inadequate..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 04:47 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
I'm sure he could have. That can't be an exhaustive list of religious whack jobs with special knowledge of when the world will end.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:01 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:

I know. Thinking makes my head hurt, too. But, I find the more I do it the better it feels.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:39 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Has God turned away from the Amish? Did God turn away from Egyptians, Chinese, Jews, etc during their ancient great times? Did God turn away from Christian martyrs, did God turn away during the bubonic plague?

What is it with this religious stuff? What are these naive ideas supposed to accomplish, what is their produce?

Old 04-28-2016, 03:05 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Has God turned away from the Amish? Did God turn away from Egyptians, Chinese, Jews, etc during their ancient great times? Did God turn away from Christian martyrs, did God turn away during the bubonic plague?

What is it with this religious stuff? What are these naive ideas supposed to accomplish, what is their produce?
They are accomplishing CONTROL and COMPLIANCE from the believing masses.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:41 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
I agree- as a whole, America has told God to "get out". He's doing so, and will leave our nation to it's own devices because of that. Once we turn on Israel, that will be the final straw. I'm not worried however, as Jesus said "these things must come to pass.
What I meant is that the whole bible revolves around the ME....I think even the RC's went on pilgrimage to Jerusalem, which no one seems to do these days...

Old 04-28-2016, 10:12 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
homosexuality has existed as long as people have existed, its in some points in history where men took to young boys and many many other things where men have been with men. women being with women has not ceased nor will it cease in the human spectrum.
It's likely we all have someone within the family spectrum who is homosexual, that's just what exist in life.

My comment as to homosexuality was very clear:

I don't see where its necessary for people who fill the entertainment sections to get in the media and blast out that they are homosexual. It's their business, I don't see why the whole public has to be saturated with the declaration over and over and over. What is with this need to have a megaphone mentality to blast that information to the public?
I don't care who is sleeping with whom. I also am not thrilled to be bombarded with these incessant media disclosures the minute a person gets some fame or notoriety in the media and entertainment arena, regardless of what is their profession- their sexual activity does not need to be spread about as if they deserve some special praise or something for it. If their field is film, music, sports or whatever, that is the profession that should be addressed, not whom they sleep with. I think many people feel the same way. They don't care who a person is sleeping with, but they are not interested to have it blasted at them over and over and over. Or to be attacked and negatively impacted if they don't applaud and hail it as some great achievement. In many cases, people simply don't care what another does in their sexual lives as long as they are not molesting children or raping others and abusing another in some sexual manner. Other than that, adults do what they want as individuals.

We work with people, have family members and none of us truly know what our friends and associates do in their private lives, nor do we need to know. I've not seen anyone treat people within the family circle any less as to care of them as a person because of their bed mate choice, I've worked with people whom it was well known and they are dealt with as anyone else is, they are either a good worker, a good person and individual. That's what the realism comes down to, not whom they sleep with.

The Bible speaks of homosexuality and it does not favor it. Now one can make what they will of that point and fact. Many homosexuals go to church and many have a variety of roles within churches, those churches understand that God is the judge of man, not man being the judge of man in the final of spiritual judgment under the Biblical premise of God, Religion and Mankind. There will likely never be a time when all society will be cheerful acceptors of homosexual activity, but there should be no one mistreating another because of the choice another has made in regards to being homosexual.

I don't see where there is any aim, point or matter of trying to measure homosexuality against slavery. Slavery was a horrible thing and anywhere it exist it is horrible. Those who enslave others is as much "a beast of a being and lower than those they engage to enslave". No amount of money, public hoopla or parading them in pageantry of any sort is going to elevate their integrity beyond being what is an abusive and dehumanizing enslaver of others.
The point is that those who wail and cry that America has reached it's absolute sinful zenith, and therefore the end is near (isn't it ALWAYS!), have no real historical understanding of just how bad things were in the past.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The point is that those who wail and cry that America has reached it's absolute sinful zenith, and therefore the end is near, have no real historical understanding of just how bad things were in the past.
That's it in a nutshell. There are no "good old days". Only "bad old days".

It is certainly tempting for me to look at the abysmal dynamic in the American presidential race and suppose that we have reached a new Zenith of uncharitable selfishness. But all you have to do is calm down and look at, say, Trump's recently picking up on the slogan "America First" and harken back to the last time that slogan was used, back when we were trying to stay out of WW2, and the ugly anti-Semetic, jingoistic, fascistic overtones of that movement, which fortunately was killed off by Pearl Harbor. "The British and Jewish races, for un-American reasons, are trying to draw us into this war" -- or words to that effect -- by their poster child, Charles Lindbergh, come to mind. And Charlie wanted the Jews out of "our" movies, "our" commerce, "our" public discourse, and wanted to negotiate with Hitler.

So no ... these are the bad old days, just like before. Trump is our very own Mussolini, and has an excellent chance of both being nominated and of being elected if the Dems don't come to their senses and put Sanders rather than Clinton up against him.

And you know it is tempting to just move abroad and let this dips__t country stew in its own juices, until you realize that despite being ahead of us in many ways, other progressive democracies are teetering on various brinks of their own, each one of them seemingly devising ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. And in any case, for good or ill, as goes America, so goes much of the rest of the civilized world.

I think what it all boils down to is that most people just don't realize (or want to realize) the depth of the hole of ignorance and superstition that humanity is clawing its way out of. It's always going to be three rungs up, two rungs down the ladder. And the ladder could always collapse and carry us all back into the hole. But the overall trend of the past few hundred years is distinctly upward. THAT is what gives me hope -- not the false conceit of each successive generation, that it has finally ARRIVED and must PRESERVE the pinnacle of knowledge and understanding that it has FINALLY achieved, unlike every generation before it. Not so. My generation has only added incrementally to the imperfect stew that the prior generation handed it. The next will do its small part, and so on. Enough of this "good old days" illusory BS already.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:48 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The point is that those who wail and cry that America has reached it's absolute sinful zenith, and therefore the end is near (isn't it ALWAYS!), have no real historical understanding of just how bad things were in the past.
This. You want to know REAL bad living, fear, repression, disease, horrific crime (sometimes socially accepted/sanctioned), pain for which there is no physical remedy, random early death and so on? Try NOT looking at the 21st century in a first world nation and complaining from your temperature and humidity-controlled protected environment, typing on an instrument that allows you to communicate with the globe at the touch of a button, while snacking on an overabundance of food and TiVoing your favorite show without being interrupted by your healthy children, who even now are receiving their entirely free education and eating a snack at 10 and a nice big lunch at 12:15.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:56 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
The good ole days ... - (when and for whom did they exist?)

Maybe to some they were when being a kid, "one had no real self support driven responsibilities", and very limited awareness of just what exist in the expanse beyond their close circle or realism.

The internet today, makes all of what was once not so visible or so publicized available for any and all, 27/7-365 - it has such a point of saturation, its easy to see how many assume this is the end time of something.

But-- even with the Presidential Race, its nothing new, these fights have been fought before. they were fought on a far different level in the political arena of the competing ideologies that clashed into what was the Civil War, and they have been clashing within the single system democracy every since. in some respects, we simply have Republican who have taken on some of the Confederate Ideology and the Democrats who hold to the Union Ideology and the clashes continue.
That's only one aspect of things.
We had the issue of the wealthy dominating things before Teddy Roosevelt busted it up in that era, and we had the wealthy crashing stuff as in the 1929 Crash until afterwards Theodore Roosevelt put some constraints on the wild banking and stock madness of that era.

We've had every kind of zealotry one can imagine to come in cycles and waves and morph to other changes and some still spin pushing ignorance ans superstitions even still today. Imagine too a society caught in the insane ignorance of Slavery for hundreds of years, and actually believed in it and engaged to do anything even imaginatively inhumane to black people.
Here we are now a nation, not even 100 yrs into Civil Rights of Equality, when we stayed within the system of post Slavery for 100 yrs. Now, where will we be and how much will we have changed as a society by the time we make the next 50 yrs of being post Civil Rights Act of 1964. Even now, we expect in only 50 yrs to have achieved anything that can wipe away 100 yrs of segregation and 100's of years of slavery. Well- realism is we have a lot of work to do, many changes to go through and this is for all, black and white to evolve as an American people. We are still caught in the craziness of the past era's madness of inequity. To the madness that we can't become a society who understand when all do well, then all will do well. But we can't seem to grasp that simplicity.

It almost takes absurdity to stare back at us in the costumes of absurdity; as if we are gazing in a mirror before we can acknowledge how absurd things are, before we make changes.

Quote:
I think what it all boils down to is that most people just don't realize (or want to realize) the depth of the hole of ignorance and superstition that humanity is clawing its way out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality