Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:38 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Abraham believed God.

It is certainly a temptation to trust in riches rather than God, but obviously not impossible.
Of course he believed in god. god told him to slit his sons throat on April fools day.

Did Abraham believe in jesus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 03:18 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
How often have we heard on CD that without churches, there would be little charitable work done? Mind you, it's virtually impossible to dig into church finances to discover the truth, simply because they don't have to disclose their information.

This blog posts highlights two studies done by Christian organizations which at least pierce the veil a bit. Shockingly to some and probably no surprise to others, very little actually goes to real charitable work.

There is no question churches spend a lot of money on themselves and their religious activities, but that really doesn't help anyone but their own, and not anyone outside of that group.

https://religousnotright.wordpress.c...ly-charitable/
Religions need their privacy and special privileges, they need to hide their corruption and ultimate self-interest.
After all, strict religion is among other things specifically about tribalism, cronyism, loyalism, propaganda, and self-interest.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Exactly. You're admitting their books are closed and nobody knows while at the same time insisting they don't do much charity. Come on now, you can do better than this. I despise organized religion, but your faulty logic and false paradigm isn't deceiving anybody.
I feel like you missed the two studies included in the O.P.
The mafia's books might be closed too, would you be insulted if their commitment to real charity was questioned?
Who is trying to deceive anyone here?

Old 04-28-2016, 03:26 AM

Quote:
LOL! We answer to God, not man.
You deserve special exemptions from the Civil Law because you are monotheists?

Terrorists and other self-deceivers can think they answer to God too.

Give onto Caesar what doesn't need to be hidden, please! We beg you!

But do continue to hide your corruptions in order to save face, if that is your necessity. There is no way that opening your books to the light of public witnessing would ever glorify your God. And we all know why.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So you don't want separation of church and state anymore? You realize that it works BOTH ways? Keep your nose out of our business too.
I think he simply wants to end special privileges. But perhaps you are right, those special corruptions stop the religious from mingling in governme.... oh wait, they don't.

It's not "separation" if it's "provision and protection."

Old 04-28-2016, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Many charitable acts by churches, or should I say members are not on the books. A church I used to attend would announce what they were collecting the following week. Once it was $5 fast food gift cards for the homeless. Sometimes diapers, can goods, new infant clothing, and others. Things like that would not be on the books.

I know of Catholic Churches that have separate envelopes in the box/packet/ or however they do it, that are for certain charities. That money is always accounted for.

Churches that I am aware of always list cash contributions to organizations on the financial report.
Good for them. So why would Rotary be required to have their books fully open, but religions not?

Old 04-28-2016, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Before I donate to a charity, I always check out guidestar.org. That way I can decide to give only to charities that give back 85%+ of the money they take in. Many, if not most, of the big named, well known charities have huge staff and CEO costs which take up most of the money and give back less than 50% of the money they take in.

When I was younger and went to church, our church would release the budget to be voted on. It was a small church so $70,000 went to preacher salary, another $33,000 to the office lady, and the rest pretty much on the building expenses. Of course the pastor would preach every week on how broke we were and how we need to give more. When pastors stop collecting paychecks and giving their money away, I may begin to have a sliver of respect for them. Until then, the majority seem to be caught up in furthering their "career" and making money, writing books and having cool websites. They want to "further the kingdom of god" but of course only if they are being financially compensated. Churches throw a measly chunk of change towards "missonaries" (who aren't really helping, only trying to convert and serve their own egos) to save face and the rest gets spent on themselves.

Only giving away 1/3 of the money you take in would make for a horrendously rated charity, but if churches give away 1/3 of the money they take in, they are supposed to be legit and praised for it? No thank you.

Also, I'm sure your church gives back 100% of the money and you're preacher is a great guy who never has taken a paycheck. I'm talking as a general rule here.
Yes, I am so sadly aware of these issues too. They think a "non-profit" should pay a CEO large salaries because otherwise they wouldn't do the charity well... it's not much of a charity then, it's more like a money-collecting business that donates some of it's collections to charity.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:38 AM

Quote:
The mission of the church is more than just charity.
Exactly, so why should they be treated like they are just benevolent charity providers that must be trusted blindly and wholeheartedly?

Old 04-28-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
How do you think churches pay the bills?
By collecting money from people who pay them whatever they see fit for their service of telling them things. Like magazines and other corporations that are forced by law to keep their books open YET not be involved in politics directly as an attempted corporatocracy.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:45 AM

Quote:
We pay our own way, asking nothing of you. As long as we're not breaking the law, how we spend our money is none of your business. The same goes for mosques, until they blow up buildings and kill people.

Churches are good for the community. They promote good citizenship and charity.
So does the Toyota company. Yet the government is all on top of their business.
Toyota also promotes citizenship and charity, just ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality