Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 03:20 PM

28,094 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
And that is the way it should be for ANY group that the general taxpayer has to subsidize because the group is not paying taxes.
Now don't go jumping to any conclusions, cupper, because I'm not. I'm just asking if you believe the general taxpayer in any way subsidizes the LDS Church. And if you believe it does, please explain how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 03:51 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Now don't go jumping to any conclusions, cupper, because I'm not. I'm just asking if you believe the general taxpayer in any way subsidizes the LDS Church. And if you believe it does, please explain how.

Yes I do, and massively.

None of the land that LDS sits on is taxed, unless it is clearly a commercial entity, such as a shopping center. Yet, along with all other churches, the LDS church utilizes the infrastructure paid for by the general taxpayer, without any contribution to it. Sewer, water, other utilities that a municipality may run, roads and sidewalks are all used by everyone, but only those not exempt from taxation pay for it.

The bigger footprint a religious organization has, the larger that exempt infrastructure is. I'm not even sure if the Deseret Ranches pay taxes (I believe the one in Florida might), and having helped with the branding next door to one, I know how huge they are.

Do you not see it is an issue that churches generally use the infrastructure everyone pays for, yet don't contribute back to that infrastructure?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:12 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
You bet. And that is the way it should be for ANY group that the general taxpayer has to subsidize because the group is not paying taxes.

There is no reason churches should be exempt. It does not harm them. In Canada, they must report the same as any other charity, why not in the US?
Again, because the church is not just a charitable organization.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Again, because the church is not just a charitable organization.
What makes churches special?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:54 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
What makes churches special?
Their specific inclusion in the First Amendment to theConstitution.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nothing in the First Amendment or SCOTUS decisions deal with taxation. In fact, they didn't get an exemption from taxation BY POLICY until 1894. Nothing to do with the Constitution.

So, once again, what makes churches so special?

Old 04-28-2016, 09:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
You are being obtuse. Toyota is for-profit, period. Churches are not. As far as your marijuana cult, that's not good for society.
You were the one originally being obtuse, which is why I gave the examples of a change in motto, etc. Religion and Marijuana are not good for society. Non-profits are not for-profit, period. ...So why is Rotary club treated differently than the Mennonite Church that does even less charity work?

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-28-2016 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Other charitable organizations are tax-free.
"Secular missions," not just charitable organizations.
A secular mission might include "selling trucks that better the world and humanity."

Old 04-28-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because historically, our society has valued churches. You ask a good question. Perhaps society is different today, but in the past when a church opened in town, it promoted a different type of person moving in. Instead of single men settling an area, women and children lived in the town. They tended to not just provide charitable works, but they gave stability to the area because families tended to live near a church.
I think you are completely right, historically, but...
A social breeding organization doesn't have to have religious motivations, although I understand that religions are often front and center on the issues of social coupling and breeding.
Stable and sober meeting places for mingling with the like-minded have a lot of societal value.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
1st amendment includes freedom of speech, no? So then no taxes for communication corporations such as news agencies, tabloids, marketing firms, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality