Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:10 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You are being disingenuous.

If you believed children were safe from adults in your Church you would not have made those rules.
You know, in your little church, adults cannot be trusted alone with children.
As in the rest of society. I don't believe children should be trusted to just any adult in school, little league, etc. It's why when I became a TeamMates mentor I had a background check done on me. I meet with a high school kid every week at the school -- but I was checked out beforehand.
Quote:
You know every member of your church, and you know some of them cannot be trusted with children.
I know them, yes. But please don't tell me what else I know or don't know. That's rude and obnoxious.
Quote:
You made rules for the society in which you reside You reside in a small rural town. You do not trust that children are safe when alone with adults in your Church. I am very glad you recognized this, and protect children. I wish more Pastors would do the same.
As I said, I trust no adult to be left alone with a small child other than their own.
Quote:
The number of pedophiles in Christianity is pretty high. The dark side of Christianity cannot be denied. Hiding from the truth of it does not change it.
I'm asking for some statistics to back up your assertions. Can you give me ANYTHING to demonstrate the rate of pedophilia is higher inside of religion than in society as a whole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 09:10 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Nonetheless, what Hastert did or says does not represent me. Sorry, but that is just the way the cookie crumbles.

If an Atheist went out and murdered someone, would you say that Atheist represents all Atheists just because they are all Atheists?
I can pretty well guarantee you that if that Atheist was the Speaker of the House, no former Speaker who also was an Atheist would right a letter proclaiming what a great non-faithful person he was. Since when is faith, something Mark Twain described as "believing in something you know ain't so", a virtue? And why?

Old 04-29-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
As in the rest of society. I don't believe children should be trusted to just any adult in school, little league, etc. It's why when I became a TeamMates mentor I had a background check done on me. I meet with a high school kid every week at the school -- but I was checked out beforehand.
Good for you. That sounds like a great program.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Good for you. That sounds like a great program.
It is. I encourage anyone to get involved. I've appreciated getting to know the young man. My 15 year old daughter also has a mentor that she meets with weekly, and she has benefited.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

I know them, yes. But please don't tell me what else I know or don't know. That's rude and obnoxious.

As I said, I trust no adult to be left alone with a small child other than their own.

I'm asking for some statistics to back up your assertions. Can you give me ANYTHING to demonstrate the rate of pedophilia is higher inside of religion than in society as a whole?
Again. You are being disingenuous. You do not want to own the fact that some adults in your church cannot be trusted with children.

I think the stats from the Catholic Church pedophiles are representative of Christianity. I will look for more later in the day. I am off to learn how to make cheese.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Again. You are being disingenuous. You do not want to own the fact that some adults in your church cannot be trusted with children.
Can YOU be trusted with children? You seem to be implying that I know there are people in my church that can't be. I've said I don't, but you seem to be harping on the notion. I'm curious about YOU.
Quote:
I think the stats from the Catholic Church pedophiles are representative of Christianity. I will look for more later in the day. I am off to learn how to make cheese.
Now demonstrate that the RCC has a higher rate of pedophilia than the rest of the United States general population. Demonstrate that Christianity as a whole does, please.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:31 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
So He was not immoral or petty.
I don't think in any era, be it our day or thousands of years in the past would His morality or non-pettiness be wrong.

That being the case, since Christ is the express image of God, we therefore know God is not petty or immoral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Wrong on two counts

1 today Jesus' teachings can be and are open to criticism. They can be bettered.

2. It is a faith -based claim that Jesus is the image of God, whether express or stopping at every station (Nanu, Nanu eh?). And -aside from whether a god even exists - Jesus' morality:-

(a) as reflecting God's makes makes Him look a less moral being than the best that humanist morality can devise (which we have known for a long time) and;

(b) if Jesus is supposed to be an advance of morality over the OT, then that makes the unchanging OT God with this suppose Absolute morality a real dogs' dinner, and the OT. along with it. Which is why I cannot understand this constant harping on the OT God and his nasty book. I understand that it damn' near didn't get into the Bible at all, but Constantine and his committee decided to keep it.
Hmm, let's see, the sinner is not judging the Sinless One. Typical.

Since Christ showed love and forgiveness and long suffering, peace, patience, self-control and all the other fruits of the spirit, God is just like that since Christ reflected Who God is.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:34 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I can pretty well guarantee you that if that Atheist was the Speaker of the House, no former Speaker who also was an Atheist would right a letter proclaiming what a great non-faithful person he was. Since when is faith, something Mark Twain described as "believing in something you know ain't so", a virtue? And why?
Since when does Mark Twain get to define what faith is? He is not the final authority on spiritual or Bible matters. And what he said faith is is wrong. I have faith that Christ did die for our sins because I know it is so.

Faith is what God gives us so we can believe that what He said is true. It is not a virtue that is earned.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Hmm, let's see, the sinner is not judging the Sinless One. Typical.

Since Christ showed love and forgiveness and long suffering, peace, patience, self-control and all the other fruits of the spirit, God is just like that since Christ reflected Who God is.
Sorry to step in, but this doesn't really address the point: that, being "eternal" and inspired directly by God, it should have been impossible for the Bible to be "a sign of the times" in which it was written even when story examples were given. It should have been exactly what it claims to be: eternal. God couldn't see into the future and couldn't figure out how to write (or inspire) words that wouldn't wind up inaccurate, dated, specific only to one exact culture at one exact time and eventually be considered morally reprehensible? I thought God could do anything.

Showing love and forgiveness, peace, and self-control are all parts of an absolutely gigantic number of other religions. Those themselves are timeless, yes, but no revelation simply because, according to the Bible, Jesus displayed them.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Since when does Mark Twain get to define what faith is? He is not the final authority on spiritual or Bible matters. And what he said faith is is wrong. I have faith that Christ did die for our sins because I know it is so.

Faith is what God gives us so we can believe that what He said is true. It is not a virtue that is earned.
You didn't answer the question of why faith should be considered a virtue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality