Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:23 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
And again we have the inevitable, "I knew him as a man of strong faith" statements from letters of support and character witnesses to the Judge in the Dennis Hastert trial.

You can see them all here:
PDF: Letters in support of Dennis Hastert - Chicago Tribune

Hastert was a serial abuser of boys, yet why once again do we get these phony and sanctimonious christians who talk about how the man is of faith, of god, what a wonderful human being he is etc. etc.

We don't ever see empathy for the victims from these christians, do we? Tom Delay's was one of the worst letters. We get this bovine scat word salad from him:
"...he started a biblestudy every Wednesday at lunch. It was just me and him and Charlie Wright (a pastor). It was a verypersonal time for the three of us. We held each other accountable and we studied God's word and
applied it to where we were at that moment. Nothing could have been more Intimate between us. So I
know his heart and have seen it up close and personal. We all have our flaws, but Dennis Hastert has
very few. He is a good man that loves the lord. He gets his integrity and values from Him. He doesn't
deserve what he is going through. I ask that you consider the man that is before you and give him
leniency where you can. Thank you."
He's a good man that loves the lord. Stuff it, you lying, convicted felon. How flippin' christian of you. But again, there will be those who think Delay is right.
IMO, Dennis Hastert and his supporters are Atheists who have no respect, love and/or fear of God.
Such people, deep inside their hearts and minds, do not believe in the existence of God which makes them Atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 02:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
IMO, Dennis Hastert and his supporters are Atheists who have no respect, love and/or fear of God.
Such people, deep inside their hearts and minds, do not believe in the existence of God which makes them Atheists.
Words have definitions and meaning.

It's quite unhelpful to invoke your own personal definition of atheist to mean "people who do bad things".

It is of course a fallacy to say that one who does wrong can't be a true believer....as evidenced by Lucifer who certainly did believe in the god of Abraham.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:12 PM

19,997 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
It's quite unhelpful to invoke your own personal definition of atheist to mean "people who do bad things".
Not to mention intellectually dishonest in the extreme.

Hastert believes in god ... there is no reason to suggest that he does not. Everything about his life suggests that he did / does. The thing Cardinal can't abide is that simply being a theist doesn't magically shields you from moral turpitude. But here again, that's not a definition of "theist". A theist believes in one or more gods, an atheist believes in zero gods. End of story. Full stop.

Anyone with a modicum of intellectual honesty knows that atheists can lead virtuous lives and that theists can lead unvirtuous lives. Indeed, both the Bible and the Quran affirm this by warning believers against sinning. If it were impossible to sin as a believer, there would be no such warnings.

I don't know about the Quran, but the Bible also warns against "wolves in sheep's clothing", that is, false believers who are faking it, a warning which would not exist if unbelievers are incapable of leading good lives.

So there is less than zero basis to dismiss Hastert as an "atheist". Dismiss him as an apostate or a poser, if you must, although I can demolish that argument too -- but an atheist? That does violence to the clear meaning of the English language, and is an insult to atheists, most of whom live virtuous lives.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:26 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Not to mention intellectually dishonest in the extreme.

Hastert believes in god ... there is no reason to suggest that he does not. Everything about his life suggests that he did / does. The thing Cardinal can't abide is that simply being a theist doesn't magically shields you from moral turpitude. But here again, that's not a definition of "theist". A theist believes in one or more gods, an atheist believes in zero gods. End of story. Full stop.

Anyone with a modicum of intellectual honesty knows that atheists can lead virtuous lives and that theists can lead unvirtuous lives. Indeed, both the Bible and the Quran affirm this by warning believers against sinning. If it were impossible to sin as a believer, there would be no such warnings.

I don't know about the Quran, but the Bible also warns against "wolves in sheep's clothing", that is, false believers who are faking it, a warning which would not exist if unbelievers are incapable of leading good lives.

So there is less than zero basis to dismiss Hastert as an "atheist". Dismiss him as an apostate or a poser, if you must, although I can demolish that argument too -- but an atheist? That does violence to the clear meaning of the English language, and is an insult to atheists, most of whom live virtuous lives.
That is an excellent post mordant!

I would just add to your excellent thoughts that believing in God does not a Christian make. It may make them a Theist.

Oh, I wonder if any of the Atheists are going to go after you like they do me when I say "Atheists believe in zero gods."

Other than that, your post hit the nail on the head.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

I would just add to your excellent thoughts that believing in God does not a Christian make. It may make them a Theist.

Oh, I wonder if any of the Atheists are going to go after you like they do me when I say "Atheists believe in zero gods."

I don't know why an atheist would "go after me" (or you) for correctly defining the term "atheist".

It is true that believing in some random god does not make you a Christian. That would involve believing in Christ in some way, which would make you at least culturally a Christian. From a typical evangelical perspective you would further have to believe correctly, not simply believe, and from the correct motivations and doctrinal positions, etc. From THAT perspective you can then claim that Hastert or anyone whose claimed membership in your club brings you embarrassment, is Not Really One of Us. Personally, I'm not buying that argument, though. Back in the day, even I did not make such claims.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:39 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:

I made a comment along those lines in response to the "no atheists in foxholes" or the "you hate God". I can't fathom a human being so arrogant to believe they speak for God. So how about it E. Do you know you will never be called to answer for what you are doing?

Old 05-01-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I made a comment along those lines in response to the "no atheists in foxholes" or the "you hate God". I can't fathom a human being so arrogant to believe they speak for God. So how about it E. Do you know you will never be called to answer for what you are doing?
What am I doing that I will be called to answer for?

Old 05-01-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't know why an atheist would "go after me" (or you) for correctly defining the term "atheist".

It is true that believing in some random god does not make you a Christian. That would involve believing in Christ in some way, which would make you at least culturally a Christian. From a typical evangelical perspective you would further have to believe correctly, not simply believe, and from the correct motivations and doctrinal positions, etc. From THAT perspective you can then claim that Hastert or anyone whose claimed membership in your club brings you embarrassment, is Not Really One of Us. Personally, I'm not buying that argument, though. Back in the day, even I did not make such claims.
My point is that some time ago I said "Atheists **believe** there is no God/god." I got all kinds of posts from the Atheist crowd telling me "believe" should not be used.

I don't know if Hastert has faith that Christ died for his sins, was entombed and roused the third day. That is between him and God. All I am saying is that Hastert does not represent my Christianity.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
My point is that some time ago I said "Atheists **believe** there is no God/god." I got all kinds of posts from the Atheist crowd telling me "believe" should not be used.
It is a belief position, sure -- the withholding of belief, seeing no justification to believe. Perhaps you were suggesting that atheists are making a positive knowledge claim or in some other way muddying the waters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
I don't know if Hastert has faith that Christ died for his sins, was entombed and roused the third day. That is between him and God. All I am saying is that Hastert does not represent my Christianity.
Fair enough.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:59 AM

392 posts, read 248,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3
He's a good man that loves the lord. Stuff it, you lying, convicted felon. How flippin' christian of you. But again, there will be those who think Delay is right.
An act done for a materialistic purpose (materialistic practice) is not Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality