Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:09 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Please explain what the difference is and how you make this determination.

Have you sinned since becoming a Christian? If yes, how can you consider yourself to still be a Christian, but not a person like Hastert? What are the specific differences in your mind?
Of course I've sinned. The remorse I feel in my heart and hatred for my sin proves the fact that I am a Christian. I don't see that same remorse in a guy that could repeatedly commit the crime he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 10:17 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes. A few letters were written calling him a good guy. Do you think those letters represent all of Christianity?
Did you read what I've written several times saying I do not believe this issue represents all of Christianity?

You seem fixated on "protecting the mother ship" here rather than protecting children. To the point, I guess, that you're not even able to actually read the posts you're responding to, you're seeing just that much red.

Although I am sure you're a good person who wouldn't hurt a child, I am equally sure that individuals such as Hastert are very, very, very grateful for individuals such as yourself who help to provide that very cloak they need and who deflect brilliantly away from their misdeeds.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Did you read what I've written several times saying I do not believe this issue represents all of Christianity?

You seem fixated on "protecting the mother ship" here rather than protecting children. To the point, I guess, that you're not even able to actually read the posts you're responding to, you're seeing just that much red.
You've said that twice now. Yet, you then continue to bash Christianity. So I DO believe you think it represents all of Christianity.
Quote:
Although I am sure you're a good person who wouldn't hurt a child, I am equally sure that individuals such as Hastert are very, very, very grateful for individuals such as yourself who help to provide that very cloak they need and who deflect brilliantly away from their misdeeds.
I've never defended him, and state that he is not a Christian. I also have stated numerous times on these boards that a guy like him would never be allowed to be alone with a kid in my church (no adult is).

Old 04-28-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
There's a difference between falling into sin and making a habit of diving into heinous sin habitually.
And where exactly is that difference?

Where's the cutoff line?

How many times?

And how sorry for one's sin, each time?

Who makes those determinations? You? God is going to be very surprised to hear that!

Quote:
I don't see that same remorse in a guy that could repeatedly commit the crime he did.
You have a window into people's hearts? And magically, when you're remorseful it's for real, but when the next person is remorseful, it's not? Based on what you'd do or not do if you were remorseful?

You have a lot of God-ly talents, Vizio. You can determine who's "a real Christian" and who isn't and indeed, who "never was," you can see directly into people's souls and judge how valid their remorsefulness is. Tell us the truth...ARE you God? Because if so, maybe I'd be smart to stop arguing with you. I don't want a lightning bolt.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
And where exactly is that difference?

Where's the cutoff line?

How many times?

And how sorry for one's sin, each time?

Who makes those determinations? You? God is going to be very surprised to hear that!

You have a window into people's hearts? And magically, when you're remorseful it's for real, but when the next person is remorseful, it's not? Based on what you'd do or not do if you were remorseful?

You have a lot of God-ly talents, Vizio. You can determine who's "a real Christian" and who isn't, you can see directly into people's souls and judge how valid their remorsefulness is. Tell us the truth...ARE you God? Because if so, maybe I'd be smart to stop arguing with you. I don't want a lightning bolt.
I've told you -- it is based on the remorse a person has.

Having said that, you and others have used this to trash Christianity. The problem I have with you doing that is that Christianity does not teach us to do this. Nowhere. So the fact is, this guy was showing that he was not following the teachings of the religion.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I've told you -- it is based on the remorse a person has.
According to God?

And again. Who's determining how much remorse a person actually has (not how much s/he is showing in various specific ways that resonate with any one specific individual, such as yourself)? You? You have a window into people's souls and are qualified to judge?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:38 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
If you detect glee that's on you. I think you may be projecting. Something to think about.

I don't think every Christian is like this man or that pedophilia is what Christianity teaches, so don't be silly. I mean really.

YOU should perhaps make.it less personal and all about "the important thing here is to protect Christianity (basically)" - because no, the important thing is to stop allowing religion to be a cloak that protects child rapists. It's not all about you, Viz.
Nailed it.

THIS is the crux of the whole issue. We get such a plethora of these cases, and yet people like Vizio, and he is by far not the worst, look at it as an attack on their religion. No, it's an attack on the cloak you describe, and it is disgusting.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Nailed it.

THIS is the crux of the whole issue. We get such a plethora of these cases, and yet people like Vizio, and he is by far not the worst, look at it as an attack on their religion. No, it's an attack on the cloak you describe, and it is disgusting.
I look at YOU gleefully making post after post, day after day, as the attack -- not this nitwit and the sheeple that naively support him. I do fault the people for supporting him, but I will again point out that you cannot condemn the religion for the actions of people that are not actually following what the religion teaches. You apparently seem unable or unwilling to grasp that point.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:47 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Sure it does. I've seen it in my own life, and the life of others. But you and the others are complaining that every yahoo that claims the name of Jesus isn't a perfect angel. Great. I get that. God never promised we would be. But in time, behavior does follow if a person's faith is real.
Just because some people do turn out quite good with their Christian faith does not mean it's evidence that the way Christianity is taught is an efficient way of promoting good behavior.

What I was saying is that Christianity tends to place more moral weight on faith and intention than actual action. While the abstract threat of Hell doesn't really make an appearance until the NT, the way to become a pious person seems to just be about faith. People can do terrible things, but as long as they repent, there is no real problem.

How does this promote good behavior?

Old 04-28-2016, 01:19 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
It's obvious he has no real point other than to try to sling mud.
I have found that often in life the one slinging the mud is usually the very one guilty of doing the very thing they accuse others of doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality