Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:22 PM

684 posts, read 515,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I have found that often in life the one slinging the mud is usually the very one guilty of doing the very thing they accuse others of doing.

Yea I agree and in this case Hastert was packing mud rather than slinging it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 01:23 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I look at YOU gleefully making post after post, day after day, as the attack -- not this nitwit and the sheeple that naively support him. I do fault the people for supporting him, but I will again point out that you cannot condemn the religion for the actions of people that are not actually following what the religion teaches. You apparently seem unable or unwilling to grasp that point.
Yea, I too see that Vizio. I'm sure though that cupper3 is as perfect as perfect can be. He has never ever done anything wrong in his life and so he spends his time pointing the finger at everyone other than himself.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
Yea I agree and in this case Hastert was packing mud rather than slinging it
Hastert is a sick individual and does not represent Christianity any more than all the child mollesting Catholic priests, who preyed and still prey on young children, represent Christianity.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:47 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
And again we have the inevitable, "I knew him as a man of strong faith" statements from letters of support and character witnesses to the Judge in the Dennis Hastert trial.

You can see them all here:
PDF: Letters in support of Dennis Hastert - Chicago Tribune

Hastert was a serial abuser of boys, yet why once again do we get these phony and sanctimonious christians who talk about how the man is of faith, of god, what a wonderful human being he is etc. etc.

We don't ever see empathy for the victims from these christians, do we? Tom Delay's was one of the worst letters. We get this bovine scat word salad from him:
"...he started a biblestudy every Wednesday at lunch. It was just me and him and Charlie Wright (a pastor). It was a verypersonal time for the three of us. We held each other accountable and we studied God's word and
applied it to where we were at that moment. Nothing could have been more Intimate between us. So I
know his heart and have seen it up close and personal. We all have our flaws, but Dennis Hastert has
very few. He is a good man that loves the lord. He gets his integrity and values from Him. He doesn't
deserve what he is going through. I ask that you consider the man that is before you and give him
leniency where you can. Thank you."
He's a good man that loves the lord. Stuff it, you lying, convicted felon. How flippin' christian of you. But again, there will be those who think Delay is right.
This is why I never trust the "holier than thou" types. Ted Cruz.... bet there are skeletons in THAT closet lol!

Old 04-28-2016, 01:54 PM

20,020 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Just because some people do turn out quite good with their Christian faith does not mean it's evidence that the way Christianity is taught is an efficient way of promoting good behavior.

What I was saying is that Christianity tends to place more moral weight on faith and intention than actual action. While the abstract threat of Hell doesn't really make an appearance until the NT, the way to become a pious person seems to just be about faith. People can do terrible things, but as long as they repent, there is no real problem.

How does this promote good behavior?
In fairness, I think there is a good deal of variability in various Christian denominations in how these things are handled.

I think it's a fair criticism that fundamentalist Christian ideology is far more about correct belief than about correct action, however, my guess is that Viz himself would expect to see demonstrated virtue as evidence OF correct belief.

The problem is, where you draw that line is pretty subjective. In the case of Hastert you have a lot of people who admire his public / political career and have trouble reconciling what they perceive to be self-sacrificing and benevolent devotion to his career as an educator, with the sexual predator behaviors that have apparently been demonstrated to have occurred. Many of these people are willing to see the his predatory acts as aberrations to be explained away or excused. Not coincidentally, these are family members, longtime friends and admirers who have a lot of ego invested in their image of Dennis Hastert, Man of Virtue(tm). They do not want to "be wrong" about that lifetime image they have held of him.

Viz is not willing to see this as an aberration, to the point that he doesn't claim Hastert is a fallen Christian who needs to repent; he claims he isn't a Christian in the first place. Others will make different calls.

Personally back in the day I probably would have said that Hastert was a Christian who made some fatal and (in practical terms) irredeemable mistakes that forever deprive him of any form of public or private trust. He has disgraced himself, and some forms of disgrace can't be expunged. And shouldn't be.

To me this is far more credible than the circular reasoning that a Christian who exhibits sufficiently bad judgment just isn't or never was a True Christian. That is no better than the nonsense that a Christian who stops believing was never an actual Christian, but some sort of counterfeit. It is self-ratifying baloney to make such assertions. In my view they are dishonest machinations designed to preserve claims of moral superiority by throwing under the bus any Christian who crosses the line into really giving the lie to those moral claims. Viz has always said that outside of his concept of Christian morality, no morality has actual authority to legitimize it. Well -- understandably he does not want a pederast on board making his moral authority look pretty unimpressive. So Hastert was Never One Of Us. End of story.

Well, not so fast. No one, including Hastert, me back in the day, or Viz, takes a moral quiz to claim to be transformed by the love of god and the work of the Holy Spirit. All are accepted on their word to have done so. Before Hastert's perfidy with respect to sexual conduct with minors was known, Viz would have had every reason to regard him favorably as a champion for god and country. He doesn't get to rescind that now just because Hastert has done something, shall we say, morally inconvenient. Hastert is a problem for Viz whether he wants to accept it or not.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:56 PM

684 posts, read 515,117 times
Quote:
Hastert is a sick individual and does not represent Christianity any more than all the child mollesting Catholic priests, who preyed and still prey on young children, represent Christianity.
Yes his acts were against the Christian doctrine but does that mean he is not a Christian or cannot repent and still be a Christian? I'm not defending him personally or his actions but rather arguing the religious doctrine side of it.

If he committed these "sins" decades ago or weeks ago and repented and asked god for forgiveness are other Christians not suppose to forgive him? Isn't that part of the doctrine of Christianity regardless of the sin or crime a person commits? If you are a Christian and believe in it's teachings then you are instructed to forgive? as well as the fact God said all sin in his eyes are the same or something of that nature?

Old 04-28-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
Yes his acts were against the Christian doctrine but does that mean he is not a Christian or cannot repent and still be a Christian? I'm not defending him personally or his actions but rather arguing the religious doctrine side of it.
King David had Bathsheba's husband killed. Yes, he didn't get off scott free. But he will be in the kingdom when he is resurrected. If Hastert is truly saved, he should not be allowed in any church until he repents. Not that this is a license to do bad but . . . a true believer can not do anything to undo his ultimate salvation since it is not earned and cannot be lost by anything we do or do not do.

Quote:
If he committed these "sins" decades ago or weeks ago and repented and asked god for forgiveness are other Christians not suppose to forgive him? Isn't that part of the doctrine of Christianity regardless of the sin or crime a person commits? If you are a Christian and believe in it's teachings then you are instructed to forgive? as well as the fact God said all sin in his eyes are the same or something of that nature?
Absolutely you are correct.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:07 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Quote:
I have found that often in life the one slinging the mud is usually the very one guilty of doing the very thing they accuse others of doing.
Jeff disagrees with you.

He often posts about LGBTQ and homosexual sex. All in the name of religion. Westboro does the same. What do they have in common? Christianity.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Jeff disagrees with you.

He often posts about LGBTQ and homosexual sex. All in the name of religion. Westboro does the same. What do they have in common? Christianity.
I don't know Jeff. But I do know that Westboro does not represent Christianity.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:32 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Quote:
I don't know Jeff. But I do know that Westboro does not represent Christianity.
Jeffbase posts here. Jeff believes he is Christian. Westboro does not post here. They also believe they are Christian. What do they have in common? Christianity.

Whether we like it or not, they both represent Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality