Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 05:54 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If morality is subjective, then what is your basis for judging anyone as moral or immoral?
A subjective one, obviously.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
With that stance then you are saying you think it's perfectly fine and good for the government to force someone to perform an action against their moral or religious beliefs.
Yep. For example, Christians can no longer burn people at the stake even if they have a legitimate religious belief that they must. Being religious doesn't allow one to break the law.

Quote:
When the shoe was on the other foot, you had absolutely NO problem with a gay baker refusing to make a cake for a Christian customer.
When was a customer turned away due to their religion?

Old 05-12-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
The gay baker makes cake. It's a cake! Exact same product.
Just like a Christian baker makes a wedding cake. It's a cake! Exact same product. So they should sell it to people regardless of their gender.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
If the cake was a celebration of such activities or used in an immoral ceremony, I doubt they would want to sell it.
Asking yet again - can you find any actual examples of these "Christian" business owners using this excuse for anything other than discriminating against gay people. I haven't heard of them, but maybe you've found cases where it happens. I doubt it does, since as anyone can see this is just a transparent attempt to stick it to a minority group that these business owners find icky.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Asking yet again - can you find any actual examples of these "Christian" business owners using this excuse for anything other than discriminating against gay people. I haven't heard of them, but maybe you've found cases where it happens. I doubt it does, since as anyone can see this is just a transparent attempt to stick it to a minority group that these business owners find icky.
Is that really the only card you have to play? I have to go around the country quizzing bakers to see if they refused service for other groups? Oh and the "icky" card. Which is basically saying you are silly for opposing gay marriage.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Just like a Christian baker makes a wedding cake. It's a cake! Exact same product. So they should sell it to people regardless of their gender.
I hope you don't expect Jeff to acknowledge his hypocrisy on this...

A cake is a cake, unless a Christian is baking it, then it is a holy product that can only be sold to people that they think are morally superior....

The fact that he is incapable, or unwilling to admit, of seeing the difference between A) A baker makes wedding cakes, so therefore has to make wedding cakes for anyone who wants one, and B) A baker makes cakes WITHOUT any writing on them, therefore they can refuse to make cakes with writing on them, whether they are offensive or not, shows just how his mind works. For Jeff, a Christian is a special flower, and therefore should not have to follow any laws they don't want to.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
I hope you don't expect Jeff to acknowledge his hypocrisy on this...

A cake is a cake, unless a Christian is baking it, then it is a holy product that can only be sold to people that they think are morally superior....

The fact that he is incapable, or unwilling to admit, of seeing the difference between A) A baker makes wedding cakes, so therefore has to make wedding cakes for anyone who wants one, and B) A baker makes cakes WITHOUT any writing on them, therefore they can refuse to make cakes with writing on them, whether they are offensive or not, shows just how his mind works. For Jeff, a Christian is a special flower, and therefore should not have to follow any laws they don't want to.
For you, gays are special flowers in which ALL the laws should only favor their group and to hell with anyone else and their religious freedom. OH and it's perfectly fine for gays to refuse service to anyone they don't like.

Or would you say the Christian baker can refuse to make the cake if it says congrats Bob and Bob?

Old 05-12-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
For you, gays are special flowers in which ALL the laws should only favor their group and to hell with anyone else and their religious freedom. OH and it's perfectly fine for gays to refuse service to anyone they don't like.

Or would you say the Christian baker can refuse to make the cake if it says congrats Bob and Bob?
Are you incapable of reading what people say to you?

No one thinks gays are "special flowers", they think they should be treated equally..... How is that being treated special? No one is saying "to hell with your religious freedom", but I hate to break it to you Jeff, but your religious freedom ends when it breaks the law, or infringes on other people. That is the way it is. I suggest you man up and get used to it.

And no, gay bakers can not refuse service to anyone they don't like. They can however, just as a Christian baker could, refuse to make a cake they do not currently make. There is a difference, and please Jeff, try to read and actually understand this very simple point, between making a wedding cake for a gay couple (which the baker currently makes for straight couples), and making a cake with a slogan written on it, which the baker makes for no one.

Bring me an example of a gay baker refusing to do service with someone for being a Christian, and we will talk. Until then, you are simply blowing smoke and acting like a child who didn't get their way.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Are you incapable of reading what people say to you?

No one thinks gays are "special flowers", they think they should be treated equally..... How is that being treated special? No one is saying "to hell with your religious freedom", but I hate to break it to you Jeff, but your religious freedom ends when it breaks the law, or infringes on other people. That is the way it is. I suggest you man up and get used to it.
It's not the law in Texas. Where's your argument there? Religious freedom IS the law. It is #1 in the Constitution actually.

Quote:

And no, gay bakers can not refuse service to anyone they don't like. They can however, just as a Christian baker could, refuse to make a cake they do not currently make. There is a difference, and please Jeff, try to read and actually understand this very simple point, between making a wedding cake for a gay couple (which the baker currently makes for straight couples), and making a cake with a slogan written on it, which the baker makes for no one.

Bring me an example of a gay baker refusing to do service with someone for being a Christian, and we will talk. Until then, you are simply blowing smoke and acting like a child who didn't get their way.
And Christians business owners don't currently service gay weddings. There is no difference. You are just forcing one so you can discriminate against Christians and ONLY Christians. If the gay baker makes cakes then I should be able to get one regardless of what it says. The funny thing is I side with the gay baker. I don't think ANY baker should be forced to do something they are not comfortable with.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
It's not the law in Texas. Where's your argument there? Religious freedom IS the law. It is #1 in the Constitution actually.

Quite irrelevant when talking about Colorado, but the point remains the same. In Texas, it is not against the law. Maybe the CO bakers should move to Texas so they can hate gays freely? Religious freedom is the law, yes. Does this also go for the Muslims who would like to use Sharia law? Fact is, whether you can understand it or not, is that religious freedom does not allow you to discriminate or hurt others. You may think it does, but it doesn't. In the case of Texas, it is a bassackwards state that any thinking person should stay away from. Don't think their discrimination laws won't be challenged either.

We all know you don't give a rat's butt about freedom of religion, Jeff, you care about freedom for YOUR religion.

Quote:
And Christians business owners don't currently service gay weddings. There is no difference. You are just forcing one so you can discriminate against Christians and ONLY Christians. If the gay baker makes cakes then I should be able to get one regardless of what it says. The funny thing is I side with the gay baker. I don't think ANY baker should be forced to do something they are not comfortable with.
See, this is what you seem to be unable to wrap you mind around Jeff, so I will try to explain it to you for the umpteenth time.

Wedding cakes, whether for a straight wedding or gay wedding, are the EXACT SAME CAKES. If there were two cakes sitting in front of you, and I said, "Pick out the gay wedding cake", you couldn't do it. The only difference is in the bakers very small, ignorant mind.

Now take the other example that you seem incapable of understanding....Cakes are the same, regardless of who buys them, on this we agree. Where we don't, and where you seem unable or unwilling to understand, is that there is a difference between a regular ole cake, and a cake with a slogan written on it. Some bakeries do not put writing on their cakes, period. Doesn't matter if a gay person asks for it, or a Christian.

Now, where are the examples of Christians being turned away for being Christian? Can't find any to support your cause?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.