Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 02:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
This SCOTUS decision was about government denigrating religious freedom of an individual, and that "art" is a form of speech. Actually, the gay stuff is incidental to this ruling, could have concerned any "protected group".
Yes, any protected group, and the national ruling (legal, rather than political) is that religious belief is not an excuse in law. When you think of cases involving children denied medical help because of religious beliefs, it couldn't be anything else.

And I have to agree with them that "Art" is a form of speech in that it can communicate ideas. There is a difference between a ruling that is legally sound and a ruling that one happens to not like.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-05-2018 at 02:25 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 04:36 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes, any protected group, and the national ruling (legal, rather than political) is that religious belief is not an excuse in law. When you think of cases involving children denied medical help because of religious beliefs, it couldn't be anything else.

And I have to agree with them that "Art" is a form of speech in that it can communicate ideas. There is a difference between a ruling that is legally sound and a ruling that one happens to not like.
A child being denied medical help because of religious beliefs is totally different from a baker not wanting to support a gay wedding by not baking a cake for it...No one’s life is in danger...It is the Jewish belief that all life is sacred and it is commanded to put life above the law, for example, if someone needs medical attention on Shabbat it is acceptable to drive on the Sabbath and take that person to the hospital, no Halacha has been broken...IOW, preserving life takes precedence...

Old 06-05-2018, 04:39 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
An incredibly wrong-headed opinion, in my own opinion. And one that should be, and will be, challenged. The discriminated-against couple said it best and I paraphrase: No one should have to endure the shame and embarrassment of hearing the words, "We don't serve your kind here."
It could have been said a different way...

Old 06-05-2018, 07:09 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
An incredibly wrong-headed opinion, in my own opinion. And one that should be, and will be, challenged. The discriminated-against couple said it best and I paraphrase: No one should have to endure the shame and embarrassment of hearing the words, "We don't serve your kind here."
An excellent decision IMO affirming the right to ones religious beliefs in a manner not overruled by SJWs.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:25 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
An excellent decision IMO affirming the right to ones religious beliefs in a manner not overruled by SJWs.
And what exactly is wrong with social justice? I would say that Jesus and Buddha were both social justice warriors.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And what exactly is wrong with social justice? I would say that Jesus and Buddha were both social justice warriors.

SJ does not respect differences of opinion, such as was the case when it tried, and failed, to trample on the rights of the religious baker.

It then becomes Social Injustice.

SCOTUS corrected the overreach, Thank God.

PS: Don't recall Jesus baking wedding cakes for same sex marriages.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
SJ does not respect differences of opinion, such as was the case when it tried, and failed, to trample on the rights of the religious baker.

It then becomes Social Injustice.

SCOTUS corrected the overreach, Thank God.

PS: Don't recall Jesus baking wedding cakes for same sex marriages.
I think you need to go back and read your bible. For his times, Jesus was unquestionably a social justice warrior. (That's assuming he existed, for the sake of the discussion).

Old 06-05-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you need to go back and read your bible. For his times, Jesus was unquestionably a social justice warrior. (That's assuming he existed, for the sake of the discussion).
Not in the manner of the 2018 version of SJ.

Jesus focused on SJ issues of sustenance, not lifestyle choices.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Not in the manner of the 2018 version of SJ.

Jesus focused on SJ issues of sustenance, not lifestyle choices.
Well, a couple of years have transpired in between.

But when it comes to "lifestyle choices", may I tell you that you don't have a right to be a Christian...because that's a lifestyle choice? May I tell you that you don't have a right to be a Republican...because that's a lifestyle choice? May I tell you that you don't have a right to support the orange one...because that's a lifestyle choice?

Old 06-06-2018, 03:13 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It could have been said a different way...
A person of that attitude couldn't have said it differently because the intent was to bring hostility. That will always be what is communicated no matter what words are used. I know this because I experience lack of service in some places and I am not gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.