Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 09:59 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times

Advertisements

Slavery is actually legal under the 13th amendment. Except we now call it "prison."

And I don't think slavery was ever permitted in the OT. Indentured servitude was...under very specific terms. God commanded the Israelites to release their indentured servants after a period. And based on other things in the Bible, I don't think God allowed the Israelites to abuse their servants. This is something I think people with ill intent "misinterpreted". For one, America didn't always have slavery for life. That's how there were free black people back then. They did their term and were released. I'm willing to bet the Bible was altered around the King James Version. It's not a coincidence that that version was released shortly before slavery really got going in the US.

Hey now! I just gave you all some "historical evidence" of the Bible's validity without even trying!

Old 06-09-2018, 10:10 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Slavery is actually legal under the 13th amendment. Except we now call it "prison."
No we do not. Nice try though.

Quote:
And I don't think slavery was ever permitted in the OT.
Leviticus 25 makes it very clear who can be a servant, and who a slave. The OT supports both slavery and indentured servitude.

Quote:
Hey now! I just gave you all some "historical evidence" of the Bible's validity without even trying!
Historical evidence uses source material, not ignore it.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:14 AM

Have you read the 13th amendment?

I know what Leviticus says. I also know the Bible was corrupted. I don't believe God would sanction abuse. It goes against everything else he stands for. I think human beings did some creative writing to justify what they wanted to implement in America. This is what I've gathered in my discernment. You can believe differently.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:58 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Is slavery legal in the US? If not, the US does not follow the OT laws.
Another example of that muddy thinking I mentioned. There is nothing in OT law that requires slavery to be sanctioned, it just sanctions what was in place.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:04 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Another example of that muddy thinking I mentioned. There is nothing in OT law that requires slavery to be sanctioned, it just sanctions what was in place.
Oh gee...well that makes it okay!

Old 06-09-2018, 11:07 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh gee...well that makes it okay!
And here we go again. Nothing I said indicates that slavery or sanctioning slavery is ok. Please try to actually THINK about what is being said.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And here we go again. Nothing I said indicates that slavery or sanctioning slavery is ok. Please try to actually THINK about what is being said.
Oh, I thought about it very clearly.

The OT is a big book. If it is the word of god (LOL) then god could have put one little sentence in there saying that slavery is evil. He didn't. What a missed opportunity. He spent pages and pages on violence, but not one sentence on the EVIL of slavery.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh, I thought about it very clearly.

The OT is a big book. If it is the word of god (LOL) then god could have put one little sentence in there saying that slavery is evil. He didn't. What a missed opportunity. He spent pages and pages on violence, but not one sentence on the EVIL of slavery.
Leviticus 25:39-43 does speak against slavery. Now I will admit that Leviticus 25:44-46 contradicts that by saying you can take people from other nations as slaves, but personally, I feel this is one of those altered parts of the texts. I can't recall the Bible verse where God said the Israelites could take indentured servants for 6 years and release them on the 7th..but I will post it when I find it. This "6th year; release on 7th" coincides with other things in the Bible like the Sabbath. God worked on creation for 6 days and rested on the 7th. Likewise, God would allow you to "work" your hired help for 6 years, then you release them (give them rest) in the 7th year. To me, this is how you gauge whether the information in the Bible is true or not. Is it consistent with other themes in the Bible? Is it consistent with God's commands? If the answer is "no", one should question whether that part of the Bible came from God or man.

Taking people as slaves indefinitely and abusing them isn't in line with how God told the Israelites to treat their hired help.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:53 AM

Exodus 21:2 is the other reference, but like the Levitical scriptures, the chapter contains contradictions.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Leviticus 25:39-43 does speak against slavery. Now I will admit that Leviticus 25:44-46 contradicts that by saying you can take people from other nations as slaves, but personally, I feel this is one of those altered parts of the texts. I can't recall the Bible verse where God said the Israelites could take indentured servants for 6 years and release them on the 7th..but I will post it when I find it. This "6th year; release on 7th" coincides with other things in the Bible like the Sabbath. God worked on creation for 6 days and rested on the 7th. Likewise, God would allow you to "work" your hired help for 6 years, then you release them (give them rest) in the 7th year. To me, this is how you gauge whether the information in the Bible is true or not. Is it consistent with other themes in the Bible? Is it consistent with God's commands? If the answer is "no", one should question whether that part of the Bible came from God or man.

Taking people as slaves indefinitely and abusing them isn't in line with how God told the Israelites to treat their hired help.
How convenient that if you don't like something you read in the bible, you can just say, "Oh, that's an altered part".

Oh, it's okay if slavery only lasts 6 years. That's just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.