Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Has the era of the mega church hit its maximum attendance and draw? Maybe, although from an anti-theists point of view, this again is a good thing, that the first steps towards reason maybe occurring. We are well aware that just because someone is not going to church doesn't mean they not believers, but it is that road that signals more and more don't see regular church attendance as importan

"This year, only 45 percent of Houston-area residents polled in the Kinder Houston Area Survey said they attended a religious service (other than a wedding or a funeral) in the last month.

That marked a major milestone for the region: for the first time in the survey’s 35 year history, the majority of Houstonians aren’t attending religious services regularly."

Houston, home to 37 mega churches, shows declining church attendance, now less than 50%-screenshot-2016-04-28-11.13.33-pm.png

Source:

Database of Megachurches in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 07:46 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Maybe its the 'Create a Church- Get Rich Mentality" that has dominated so many of the mega churches, which turn into 'status based magnets, and move away from the claim of its origin for existing.
It becomes about a bigger building, more elaborate things, higher pay, and more monetary focus on increasing the value of the organizations simply for the sake of stature, more than the actual goodwill the organization uses its resources for.

Look at any Mega City with a Mega Church and ask why does crime, killing,and all such things continue to escalate not even in some cases 10 blocks from the facility, or the facility is so removed from communities, until it has no responsibility to any community.

Questions abound, is their more paganism than actual spiritual teaching taking place? Is there another format of send me $20 and I'll send you a prayer cloth", and people get a 10 cent handkerchief made by slave wage labor from some foreign locality.

There's a great deal of many people going to big name organizations, for the sake to say "they go there".

It may be that those who go for spiritual learning get it, who knows what the individual gets from their involvement and participation.

We've seen many many Mega organizations rise up and fall down, many names popularized and crash down to disgrace, there are many things when "power gets its grip" it does what power does and that is focus on power.

When that circle of power pursuits and power chase and power captivation becomes the elements within the circle, the circle may simply expand and burst or collapse in on itself.

It's unlikely the circle of gravitation from one to the next and one rises up and another falls down, the cycle has been going on for centuries.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Has the era of the mega church hit its maximum attendance and draw? Maybe, although from an anti-theists point of view, this again is a good thing, that the first steps towards reason maybe occurring. We are well aware that just because someone is not going to church doesn't mean they not believers, but it is that road that signals more and more don't see regular church attendance as importan

"This year, only 45 percent of Houston-area residents polled in the Kinder Houston Area Survey said they attended a religious service (other than a wedding or a funeral) in the last month.

That marked a major milestone for the region: for the first time in the survey’s 35 year history, the majority of Houstonians aren’t attending religious services regularly."

Attachment 169013

Source:

Database of Megachurches in the US
Sadly, I blame Osteen and other churches like him for the damage they've done to Christianity.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:50 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Sadly, I blame Osteen and other churches like him for the damage they've done to Christianity.
In your opinion he damages Christianity. He is Christian. Sometimes Christian do things that bring disrepute to Christianity. Hastert and Dear come to mind.

I think the cost of such a large place is prohibitive in the long run.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
In your opinion he damages Christianity. He is Christian. Sometimes Christian do things that bring disrepute to Christianity. Hastert and Dear come to mind.

I think the cost of such a large place is prohibitive in the long run.
We will have to disagree about whether or not he's a Christian pastor, as he does teach a message contrary to the Gospel.

Having said that, his "church" has sucked huge amounts of money out of Christianity in America. Just imagine the things that real Christian churches could have done with that money! Hospitals, food pantries, actual evangelistic outreaches....

Old 04-29-2016, 09:10 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
That could be part of it but honestly, I feel it's advances in knowledge overriding people's need for superstition. We used to not understand much and we feared everything, now we have scientific knowledge and understanding (which is always growing) and "cures" for many of our invisible terrors (such as medicine, housing for our safety and so on) so we no longer have to feel at the mercy of invisible forces, frightened of them, and therefore make a show of worshiping whatever their, or its, whims might confusingly and inscrutibly be.

I think a decline in "religion" as an organized, showy "I'm doing everything in the right order - see, it's Sunday and I'm at church" situation is a natural result of increasing knowledge and giving people control of their lives, health and so on rather than begging spirits to take care of those things.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:11 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
We will have to disagree about whether or not he's a Christian pastor, as he does teach a message contrary to the Gospel.

Having said that, his "church" has sucked huge amounts of money out of Christianity in America. Just imagine the things that real Christian churches could have done with that money! Hospitals, food pantries, actual evangelistic outreaches....
You were doing pretty good 'til you blew a tire at the end there....

Old 04-29-2016, 09:14 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:

I take Joel Olsteen at his word he is a Christian. Just as I take you at yours.

I have never been to a mega church. I do not think it would be a spiritual experience.

I think you make a good argument for taxing churches. That money can be used for the community.
I know you live in a rural area. There are thousands of churches in my county. We would be able to end poverty and homelessness here.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:

I have never been to a mega church. I do not think it would be a spiritual experience.
I actually read an article I saw on his organization. It was written by an atheist that went to it and rather enjoyed the service. I find that sad.

To be honest, I don't want my church to be "enjoyable" for atheists. I'm not suggesting it be offensive, but I don't want an atheist to think it was entertaining, or enjoyable. We talk about Jesus here. I read the Bible and share what it says and what it means. If you don't believe the Bible, my church would be boring to you.
Quote:
I think you make a good argument for taxing churches. That money can be used for the community.
I know you live in a rural area. There are thousands of churches in my county. We would be able to end poverty and homelessness here.
If those rural churches are anything like mine, they are struggling month to month to pay the light bill, much less solving the issue of poverty. I can tell you though, that there is one church I know of with about 6 people attending each week but they have $400k in the bank. The reason the do is because they had large blocks of land donated to them when farmers died. I wouldn't be completely opposed to taxing things like that. But I do believe that taxing all churches across the board will harm good churches that are making an impact in their communities.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:36 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Quote:

Quote:
There are thousands of churches in my county. We would be able to end poverty and homelessness here.

It's many things of such which churches could do, but in many cases a great many chruches fail to do what they teach. (and that is work together).
Far too often they are in a manner "competition factions"... What are they competing for if they claim to be saving souls for God.
Then why are they not practicing as an organization, what they claim to teach and preach, which is "unity" with other organizations for the aims of saving souls under ONE GOD".

If they have such as a full circle programming, it would likely not be so difficult for them to work for a unified cause within city and community to uplift the people within and through-out city and community.

There are many pastors within poor communities but the pastors seem to live well and at a level often above the stature of the people within some congregations within the communities of the poor. It's interesting to say the least.

Some Churches run good programs and do very good community works, unfortunately some don't in a variety of ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality