Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:35 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
A local Christian pastor fixed a neighbor's computer. I'm told all it needed was some virus removal and he had to remove the old version of Norton's in order to install a new antivirus, but he did it for free. No strings attached, no money exchanged. He spent a couple hours of his time in their home on short notice and didn't ask for anything in return.

So, what is this intended to prove? That people can be nice to each other and not get bent out of shape over religion? Congrats, you've just pointed out something that almost everyone on this board has been trying to tell you for the past several months.

Or maybe there's an 'untold story' here; maybe the neighbor was being snarky and the Christian did the good deed anyway. Well, here's another revelation (pardon the pun): good manners do not depend on one's religion.

I'm honestly perplexed about why you posted this. Nobody here has ever protested about Christianity having a place in society. We're just tired of the pushy, arrogant, in-your-face attitude that smears mud all over the beliefs of those who try to make a real go at living a Christ-like life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 01:39 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Does the broadcasting of good deeds only count for clergy?
Apparently yes...despite their god telling them NOT to broadcast good deeds.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:49 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
It is called being a good neighbor. Most computer guys are glad to help out neighbors, friends, and family with computer issues. That is my experience. No religion needed. Imagine that.

Because with people like Vizio ONLY a Christian can help someone else out of the kindness of their hearts.
It just can't be one human being helping another one. Guessing that after hearing this story we should all fall down & worship Vizio's God. I guess for people like him God is needed & without it he can't help his neighbor.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:52 AM

261 posts, read 156,826 times
Quote:
A local Christian pastor fixed a neighbor's computer. I'm told all it needed was some virus removal and he had to remove the old version of Norton's in order to install a new antivirus, but he did it for free. No strings attached, no money exchanged. He spent a couple hours of his time in their home on short notice and didn't ask for anything in return.
So what?

Old 05-03-2016, 11:16 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
So what?
As I've said before, I've argued that a church in town benefits the town. Despite what certain posters seem to imply here by their 2-3 posts daily talking about bad people claiming to be Christians, Christians can and do serve their communities and make them better. I'm just posting interesting anecdotes to show that.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:26 AM

10,089 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
So, what is this intended to prove? That people can be nice to each other and not get bent out of shape over religion? Congrats, you've just pointed out something that almost everyone on this board has been trying to tell you for the past several months.

Or maybe there's an 'untold story' here; maybe the neighbor was being snarky and the Christian did the good deed anyway. Well, here's another revelation (pardon the pun): good manners do not depend on one's religion.

I'm honestly perplexed about why you posted this. Nobody here has ever protested about Christianity having a place in society. We're just tired of the pushy, arrogant, in-your-face attitude that smears mud all over the beliefs of those who try to make a real go at living a Christ-like life.
The point is to serve as a counter weight to all the threads about one BAD pastor who does bad things and the false conclusion that Christians are really just rotten hypocrite people.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:29 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
As I've said before, I've argued that a church in town benefits the town. Despite what certain posters seem to imply here by their 2-3 posts daily talking about bad people claiming to be Christians, Christians can and do serve their communities and make them better. I'm just posting interesting anecdotes to show that.
Yes, a church can bring benefits to its community, but is there something irreplaceably special about that? What about the Rotary or Lions club, or the Loyal Order of Moose? What about a consortium of church and secular organizations running food kitchens and pantries and winter clothing giveaways, as exists in my community? What about a community of artists putting on a benefit concert or sale for a worthy cause? What about the peaceful protest movement that worked for policy change after the local police brought about the needless death of a mentally ill man in his own home by using a battering ram to demolish the house around him?

I am glad that most churches attempt to benefit their communities in practical ways, but I am not under the illusion that churches are the only possible configuration in which such things could ever happen -- or that they are necessarily the best way.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:31 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes, a church can bring benefits to its community, but is there something irreplaceably special about that? What about the Rotary or Lions club, or the Loyal Order of Moose? What about a consortium of church and secular organizations running food kitchens and pantries and winter clothing giveaways, as exists in my community? What about a community of artists putting on a benefit concert or sale for a worthy cause? What about the peaceful protest movement that worked for policy change after the local police brought about the needless death of a mentally ill man in his own home by using a battering ram to demolish the house around him?

I am glad that most churches attempt to benefit their communities in practical ways, but I am not under the illusion that churches are the only possible configuration in which such things could ever happen -- or that they are necessarily the best way.
Historically, churches tend to bring about a life change in people that a Rotary Club, Lions Club, etc don't. I know that's true for my own personal life, and I've seen it in others.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:40 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Historically, churches tend to bring about a life change in people that a Rotary Club, Lions Club, etc don't. I know that's true for my own personal life, and I've seen it in others.
I know people who have found becoming other-focused to be transformative in its own right, or who attribute it to secular organizations that they are involved in. I once knew a guy who credited the Red Cross with turning his life around.

The only difference is that these activities and organizations are seen as facilitating and supporting the work people are doing on themselves, not as having some special magic property of its own that is supposed to produce better outcomes than the alternatives -- or to take partial or total credit for the successful efforts people make to improve themselves. Or to justify its existence as worthy of special privilege and deference.

The point here is that people change for the better and do good deeds all the time, in and out of churches. I don't deny or minimize the good that churches do ... hopefully you don't deny or minimize the good that other organizations and ad hoc groups of people do, too.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:58 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Any chance of these repeat-subject header threads being merged? I don't want to actually report it as you can only report as a negative (AFAIK) but am wondering about this. Thanks to any mod reading the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality