Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:01 PM

20,010 posts, read 13,491,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Any chance of these repeat-subject header threads being merged? I don't want to actually report it as you can only report as a negative (AFAIK) but am wondering about this. Thanks to any mod reading the thread.
I don't think Viz's threads need consolidation any more than cupper's do. I think if you merged them at this point you would mess up the continuity.

Just my $0.02 plus inflation for what it is worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 12:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't think Viz's threads need consolidation any more than cupper's do. I think if you merged them at this point you would mess up the continuity.

Just my $0.02 plus inflation for what it is worth.
Oh, you know, FWIW I think I suggested the same thing on one of Cupper's threads but I was denied there too, LOL.

That's okay then, I understand.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:12 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
A local Christian pastor fixed a neighbor's computer. I'm told all it needed was some virus removal and he had to remove the old version of Norton's in order to install a new antivirus, but he did it for free. No strings attached, no money exchanged. He spent a couple hours of his time in their home on short notice and didn't ask for anything in return.
Why didn't the pastor didn't simply lay his hands on the computer and declare it to be whole and virus free in the name of Jesus Christ?

Old 05-03-2016, 12:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Pastor, how do you ever find the time for all these good deeds in between sitting behind your computer bragging openly about your good deeds?

You have one heck of a busy life.

By the way, not for nothing but...Matthew 6:4.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:51 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The point is to serve as a counter weight to all the threads about one BAD pastor who does bad things and the false conclusion that Christians are really just rotten hypocrite people.
We already know that some Christians are good people, Jeff. We're hardly trying to blame every single Christian for the acts of a few (though some here are certainly vehement enough to do so).

I'll relate an anecdote:

When I was working in customer service, one of he things I said to every new hire is that we're the 'face' of the company. When a customer is mistreated, they're going to associate that agent with the company as a whole, not with an individual face.

Likewise, the 'rotten hypocrite' Christians, by virtue of simply being the most visible, become the 'face' of your religion. We know that there are good, kind Christians out there. It's just that they get horribly overshadowed by the jerks.

Yes, there are some very wonderful people who follow the example of Christ. But one good Christian deed doesn't really make up for all of the bigots that think that division, fear and hate are what Christ wants from his followers.

That said, I'm glad you're trying to remind us to be charitable. The word is f'ed up enough without all of us adding our hostility and intolerance to the mix.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:19 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The point is to serve as a counter weight to all the threads about one BAD pastor who does bad things and the false conclusion that Christians are really just rotten hypocrite people.
Maybe , but statistically the majority of pastors I have met and known personally in life have been bad ones. So truthfully ,based on evidence, most pastors are "rotten hypocrits".
Amen!

Old 05-04-2016, 06:56 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
As I've said before, I've argued that a church in town benefits the town. Despite what certain posters seem to imply here by their 2-3 posts daily talking about bad people claiming to be Christians, Christians can and do serve their communities and make them better. I'm just posting interesting anecdotes to show that.
And? My wife has fixed peoples computers too, does that mean that we should not pay taxes since we are benefiting town? Heck we have even been working with habitat for humanity lately so we have been doubly helpful, maybe we should be paid to live here.

There was a big storm a few weeks ago and the local family farm was going to lose their strawberry harvest, about 20 neighbors showed up to help them pick their crop so that they didn't lose them. Why? Because we care about our neighbors and don't want them hurt. It's called being a good neighbor, and most people are in fact good neighbors without tooting their horns everywhere and expecting to pay no taxes since they are a benefit to the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality