Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

A local Christian pastor fixed a neighbor's computer. I'm told all it needed was some virus removal and he had to remove the old version of Norton's in order to install a new antivirus, but he did it for free. No strings attached, no money exchanged. He spent a couple hours of his time in their home on short notice and didn't ask for anything in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 08:44 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Link?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:02 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
A local Christian pastor fixed a neighbor's computer. I'm told all it needed was some virus removal and he had to remove the old version of Norton's in order to install a new antivirus, but he did it for free. No strings attached, no money exchanged. He spent a couple hours of his time in their home on short notice and didn't ask for anything in return.
It is called being a good neighbor. Most computer guys are glad to help out neighbors, friends, and family with computer issues. That is my experience. No religion needed. Imagine that.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:02 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
Viz, I get why you're doing this but it's having the opposite effect.

From Matthew: Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you"

Old 05-02-2016, 09:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
I've done the same and I'm atheist. Fancy that!

Old 05-02-2016, 09:06 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
It is called being a good neighbor. Most computer guys are glad to help out neighbors, friends, and family with computer issues. That is my experience. No religion needed. Imagine that.
In this case there was no one else to do it. It's a small town in a rural area where there just aren't a lot of computer-savvy people.

But...are you suggesting that Christian pastors can be good neighbors? Because all I hear around here is that Christians are a drain on society.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:11 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I've done the same and I'm atheist. Fancy that!
Yea but I bet the pastor didn't mock and insult people.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:15 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Didn't you already make a threat just like this? It got a bit long, so maybe you missed my post (and admittedly, I haven't returned to it in a bit, so maybe I missed your response), but I asked about what your thoughts were on corruption in the church more or less. I also pointed out that I feel "your side" would actually benefit a lot about bringing up the contradictions and ethical violations of organized religion, as you could frame it in a way that isn't anti-religion.

Just for context, I was raised a methodist, and do think I was better for it (to this day, my pastor growing up is among the most influential people in my life), though I'm no longer particularly religious. I tend to stick with agnostic as a label, and that honestly creates enemies on both sides but also tends to be disarming as well. Point being I have no vested interest in helping your cause or attempting to sabotage it. I'm merely asking a question to create discussion.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:20 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
In this case there was no one else to do it. It's a small town in a rural area where there just aren't a lot of computer-savvy people.

But...are you suggesting that Christian pastors can be good neighbors? Because all I hear around here is that Christians are a drain on society.
My experience with computer guys is the following; They fix computer problems when asked regardless of location. I think most people are good neighbors. That has always been my experience.

Not once, have I complained about Christians being a drain on society. You like to make these suggestions without one bit of support. Is that a Christian Pastor trait?

Old 05-02-2016, 09:21 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Yea but I bet the pastor didn't mock and insult people.
How do you know if she did not mock or insult others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality