Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:24 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
You post is the one "dripping with irony and hypocrisy". The only reason you would do anything nice for someone is because you think you will get a reward when you die..... In other words...

Atheists do something nice expecting nothing in return

Christians do something nice because they expect a reward when they die.

Which is doing so selfishly?
You must not know much about Christians. We don't do things to win brownie points in heaven. Our lives are transformed. We have a new sensitivity towards sin, and a desire to do righteous things because we WANT to.

It's funny how atheists here have posted thread after thread for years running down Christians and our beliefs, but if we dare bring up one point of criticism against atheists, your side goes ballistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 11:28 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
,..... Back to my house, grabbed a latch I happened to have in the garage, a driver and some screws. Back to the neighbor's house, fixed the fence, topped off the water bowl, .......
I especially liked this part. Good job.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:42 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You must not know much about Christians. We don't do things to win brownie points in heaven. Our lives are transformed. We have a new sensitivity towards sin, and a desire to do righteous things because we WANT to.

So you are saying that you would do those things, even without heaven? You know what that means Jeff? If you and other Christians can do things without expecting something in return, then so can anyone else, including atheists. You are simply showing your ignorance towards atheists here, Jeffy.

Quote:
It's funny how atheists here have posted thread after thread for years running down Christians and our beliefs, but if we dare bring up one point of criticism against atheists, your side goes ballistic.
It wasn't a VALID criticism. That is the problem. You said atheists are incapable of doing anything without it being a selfish act. That isn't a criticism, that is ignorance and unwillingness to learn about people with differing beliefs.

Note: My posts to Jeff were not meant to be taken seriously. I do not actually think all Christians do good things simply because of the rewards or promise of Heaven. I think they, like anyone else, do things because they are good people. Some may do things for the rewards, but certainly not most or all. The posts were meant to get Jeff to do exactly what he did, which was admit that people can do things without expecting anything, thus making my point for me.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:14 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
OK? And your point?

Do you realize no one is posting 2-3 posts a day to suggest that atheists are incapable of doing good things?

But Cupper is not posting that Christians are not capable of doing good things, just that they are capable of dong bad things just like everyone else. And then you posted about yourself doing good things. I do not think that anyone questions that you do good things just because it is the right thing to do. Fishbrain's post I would guess is a reaction to your reactions to Cupper's posts. Then Jeff comes along and states that an atheists does good things for selfish reasons whereas a Christian does good things because they are good people or they are doing God's work.

A person does good deeds because they are a good person. Race religion or nationality are not the deciding factor on if you are a good person. Some people of any race, religion or nationality do bad things as well.

Not one of the times we have caught a loose dog and taken it to its owner have we concerned ourselves if the owner was nice or not, or what was in it for us. We did it because it is the right thing to do. Jeff is simply wrong again about what atheists are like.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:

No it is running down certain beliefs and attitudes that some Christians have. You run down atheists and any Christian who does not have your belief. And who went ballistic? You have been corrected. You do show that you have a predetermined opinion about every and all atheists and that we are really not able to love others, ourselves and to do good deeds. That is why I used the bigot label. If you substitute Black, Muslim or Jew wherever you mention atheists it would be obvious even to you. We are not all the same the same that all Christians are not like you.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
No it is running down certain beliefs and attitudes that some Christians have. You run down atheists and any Christian who does not have your belief. And who went ballistic? You have been corrected. You do show that you have a predetermined opinion about every and all atheists and that we are really not able to love others, ourselves and to do good deeds. That is why I used the bigot label. If you substitute Black, Muslim or Jew wherever you mention atheists it would be obvious even to you. We are not all the same the same that all Christians are not like you.
I only speak the truth as I see it, and the truth is that every single atheist I've encountered as the same snarky "I know it all" condescending attitude towards Christians. Now if I started meeting really nice friendly atheists, I'm sure that impression would change.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
I only speak the truth as I see it, and the truth is that every single atheist I've encountered as the same snarky "I know it all" condescending attitude towards Christians. Now if I started meeting really nice friendly atheists, I'm sure that impression would change.
No. This is automatically untrue as supported by the fact that even very recently, you demonstrated that NOT all the people who disagree with you are atheists but that you were assuming we were.

So no, not "every single atheist" but rather, "every single person who doesn't agree with your own view and/or how you're presenting your view" - which FTR, I am sorry to say, invites return snarkiness. I mean what's the common denominator here in all your MANY run-ins with others on the subject of religion? It's not atheism, as proven. Rather, the common denominator is you. I wonder why you don't wonder why that is.

I'm not saying you're a bad person nor judging you, I'm saying: you continue to say over and over and over again that ALL atheists that you've met/spoken to are snarky, yet that's on the assumption that those who are being snarky to you are ALL atheists. We're not. Ergo: atheism isn't the common factor here. Ergo: you are the common factor here.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that you would do those things, even without heaven? You know what that means Jeff? If you and other Christians can do things without expecting something in return, then so can anyone else, including atheists. You are simply showing your ignorance towards atheists here, Jeffy.

Umm no because you are still a slave to the flesh and the sin natured flesh is very self centered. Most of your actions are emotion respond based. A born again Christian's actions are attuned to the will and pull of the Holy Spirit.

Quote:

It wasn't a VALID criticism. That is the problem. You said atheists are incapable of doing anything without it being a selfish act. That isn't a criticism, that is ignorance and unwillingness to learn about people with differing beliefs.
Another example of the limitations of the human mind. It always has to be all or nothing with your understanding huh? I never said it was impossible for an atheist to act outside of self centeredness. I'm sure it happens sometimes, but the nature of sinful man means that most of the time, you are not. Your actions are emotion based.

Let's take a negative emotion for example. Fear. Fear is such a powerful emotion that it can literally paralyze someone. So now let's say the neighbor is someone that people fear. Let's say maybe this guy got in a horrible burn accident, and his face was melted and he looks like a monster. People stare at him in horror the few times he goes out. Others make fun of him. People go out of their way to avoid him, not help him. That's being self centered. A fear of looking at him. A fear of the unknown. Much easier to mind your business and let him stay a recluse. Or you really telling me that most atheists would gladly be a helpful neighbor? But God would call us to walk right through that fear and show love and kindness.

A lot of truth in this video that goes along perfectly with my illustration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LypjOTTH6E

Old 05-03-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Maybe if you don't assume that everyone who is mean spirited is an atheists or that all atheists are terrible people you would not be finding confirmation for your bias. At least on this forum you portray atheists as always wrong on all subjects and every time we disagree with you we are accused of hating ALL Christians and attacking you personally as well as hating your God. And like everyone else your truth is not necessarily the truth. You have made may claims about how insulting and mocking we are and yet often there were none of that in our posts (of course some times there were) and your posts often have many insults in them.

Maybe if you did not try arguing on subjects you have limited knowledge in you would get less of this know it all attitude towards you. I am not saying attitude towards Christians as it is really you not all Christians. You do not speak for the vast majority of Christians I know, most of them of them would disagree with you on so many topics. You might be a Christian but you do not represent Christianity.

But your comment on this thread was an insulting one and if that is how you come across to atheists you meet expect them not to be dragged down by you. The OP did a good deed and that fact that you had to find some way to bash him and the rest of us speaks of your distain for all of us. If you distain everyone of a certain group because they are part of that group do not expect them all to jump over the fence trying to please you. As far as my dealings with you on this forum have been you have been a person who is disrespectful and have that snarky " I know it all" attitude and even though you are always demanding us to admit that there is a possibility that we might be wrong, and we do that for you, not once have I read where you admit that you are wrong about anything.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Umm no because you are still a slave to the flesh and the sin natured flesh is very self centered. Most of your actions are emotion respond based. A born again Christian's actions are attuned to the will and pull of the Holy Spirit.

Another example of the limitations of the human mind. It always has to be all or nothing with your understanding huh? I never said it was impossible for an atheist to act outside of self centeredness. I'm sure it happens sometimes, but the nature of sinful man means that most of the time, you are not. Your actions are emotion based.

Let's take a negative emotion for example. Fear. Fear is such a powerful emotion that it can literally paralyze someone. So now let's say the neighbor is someone that people fear. Let's say maybe this guy got in a horrible burn accident, and his face was melted and he looks like a monster. People stare at him in horror the few times he goes out. Others make fun of him. People go out of their way to avoid him, not help him. That's being self centered. A fear of looking at him. A fear of the unknown. Much easier to mind your business and let him stay a recluse. Or you really telling me that most atheists would gladly be a helpful neighbor? But God would call us to walk right through that fear and show love and kindness.

A lot of truth in this video that goes along perfectly with my illustration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LypjOTTH6E
Do you have any peer reviewed documentation that atheists act almost always on emotion and out of selfishness and that Christians act out of unselfishness? Or else it is simply your claim that you are purer and better than we are.
You make a lot of claims all the time about what we think, how we think and how mean we are. Do you have close friends that are atheists? I do not think you know what you are talking about when you describe what drives us and how we think. And if you do not think that you come out as self righteous and superior to the rest of us with your comments then maybe you should read what you write.

Only you can find fault with an atheists protecting a dog from harm and claim that he did not do it for the same pure reasons that you would have but he must of done it through selfishness as he does not believe in Jesus or God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality