Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 01:39 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Oh I see, so this was another one of your trap questions. Gotcha.
It wasn't a trap question Jeff. All you would have had to say, was, "Sure I could be wrong." Instead, you say, "Sure I could be wrong. Maybe it's all an elaborate ruse created by a superior alien race. But Probable? Not likely."

You turn into this ridiculous thing to make it sound like you are right, and know so. In fact, you have the same chance of being right as anyone else in this world. Sorry, but that is how it works.

See atheists and non believers (most anyways) do not say that they KNOW there are no gods. Normally, we say, "We don't know, but we see no evidence for one". In other words, we could be wrong. We know that. It seems you do not think it is remotely possible you could be. Which shows exactly why having conversations with you is pointless.

You have turned your brain off. You are helpful for the lurkers though... Helpful for us that is.

Quote:
Nope, I only compared situations. I never said gays are exactly as bad as incest, child molestors etc......
You forced that comparison because you stubbornly refusal to look at the moral situation with business owners.
Jeff, when you continuously bring up those things when talking about homosexuals, you are clearly, whether consciously or not, saying they are just as bad. What would you think if we constantly compared Christians to ISIS, and then said, "I'm not saying they are EXACTLY as bad, I am just comparing the two!"???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 02:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I was driving home two weeks ago and a black lab was running loose.

I was gonna be late to meet the garage guy, but I drove around till I could stop and get him.

I called the number on his collar and put his stinky, wet, muddy butt in my suv so he wouldn't bolt.

I had no idea whose dog he was.

When they came to get him, they didn't thank me. Did not say, "Thanks" or anything. Just called the dog and rode off.

Whatever. When someone else found and saved my dog, I made them a huge Godiva gift basket and wrote a thank you card.

How is it possible I'm not a Christian? *gasp*

Old 05-04-2016, 02:23 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I was gonna be late to meet the garage guy, but I drove around till I could stop and get him.

I called the number on his collar and put his stinky, wet, muddy butt in my suv so he wouldn't bolt.

When they came to get him, they didn't thank me. Did not say, "Thanks" or anything. Just called the dog and rode off.

Whatever. When someone else found and saved my dog, I made them a huge Godiva gift basket and wrote a thank you card.

The bottom line is that the dog was okay. <3 Anything could have happened to him. He could easily have been hit by a car. He could have been bitten by another animal, perhaps a wild animal and gotten very sick. Or someone pretty nasty and abusive could have snatched him up. You did the right thing and a good thing.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:44 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
The bottom line is that the dog was okay. <3 Anything could have happened to him. He could easily have been hit by a car. He could have been bitten by another animal, perhaps a wild animal and gotten very sick. Or someone pretty nasty and abusive could have snatched him up. You did the right thing and a good thing.
Yup.

And I'd do it again.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:51 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Yup.

And I'd do it again.
<jeffbase>

Remember, you are only doing it for your own selfish, debased sinful reasons. If you were a Christian, you would do exactly the same thing, but better, because God told you to.

</jeffbase>

Old 05-04-2016, 03:22 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:

Still self centeredness. Dogs invoke a pleasure emotional response so we naturally want to help a pooch rather than just coldly let them fend for themselves.

The patting yourself on the back is only more proof of this position.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Still self centeredness. Dogs invoke a pleasure emotional response so we naturally want to help a pooch rather than just coldly let them fend for themselves.
Absolutely! And quite biological and part of the reptilian brained "pleasure seeking, pain avoidance" cycle.

JUST like the pleasurable emotional response one self-creates by believing s/he is doing what God wants and hence, is doing the right thing. A rush of "reward" chemicals, if you will, flood the body in response to this "correct actions" self-determination.

It is identical. And it's great, either way, because it encourages us to help one another.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
It wasn't a trap question Jeff. All you would have had to say, was, "Sure I could be wrong." Instead, you say, "Sure I could be wrong. Maybe it's all an elaborate ruse created by a superior alien race. But Probable? Not likely."
Yes it is a trap. If I responded the way you wanted then you would say, wow you are not even sure of your own faith, why should I be? Probability factors, that's why.

Quote:

See atheists and non believers (most anyways) do not say that they KNOW there are no gods. Normally, we say, "We don't know, but we see no evidence for one". In other words, we could be wrong. We know that. It seems you do not think it is remotely possible you could be. Which shows exactly why having conversations with you is pointless.

They sure don't act like way. They boldly proclaim that God is dead or a lie as it is proven fact.

Quote:

Jeff, when you continuously bring up those things when talking about homosexuals, you are clearly, whether consciously or not, saying they are just as bad. What would you think if we constantly compared Christians to ISIS, and then said, "I'm not saying they are EXACTLY as bad, I am just comparing the two!"???

If you were comparing two situations, I wouldn't automatically say, wow you just said Christians are as bad as ISIS. Bottom line is I never said that about gays.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Absolutely! And quite biological and part of the reptilian brained "pleasure seeking, pain avoidance" cycle.

JUST like the pleasurable emotional response one self-creates by believing s/he is doing what God wants and hence, is doing the right thing.

It is identical. And it's great, either way, because it encourages us to help one another.

So morality is noting more than chemical reactions in the brain to you. A Christian does the right thing even if it is not pleasurable. That goes against human nature. It's divine spiritual nature.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
So morality is noting more than chemical reactions in the brain to you. A Christian does the right thing even if it is not pleasurable. That goes against human nature. It's divine spiritual nature.
Yes. Correct.

Non-Christians do the right thing even when they're not pleasurable, too, by the way. Are you saying non-Christians experience divine spiritual nature? So we don't need Jesus for that? Interesting.

Doing the right thing even if it's not pleasurable is by no means against human nature, BTW. It's against mammalian desire (avoid pain, seek pleasure) but if rewards are present, we choose the less comfortable option. For example, any random female animal across the globe that raises its young will go without sleep and food in order to feed its young. The reward comes from continuing the species and from the response of the young (loving/needing) even though hunger and being tired are very unpleasant.

A zealous religious person might experience the same thing in the form of self-denial. There is a rush of pleasure hormones in response to self-denial which is interpreted as a good, even holy thing, hence the brain rewards the "sufferer" for his experience. So too when he believes he is "communing" with his god, i.e. doing everything "right" and achieving the end goal.

I mean haven't you ever wondered why a fundamentalist swaying back and forth with his hands up in the air and his eyes closed in ecstasy looks exactly like a druggy at Haight-Ashbury in 1967?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality