Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 03:45 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Yeah Viz, there are a lot of good people out there who are into the ministry. They fly under the radar becaue they practice humility (as in they do not say "Look at me Look at me")

I took my neighbor to the doctor on more than a few occasions when he could not get a ride (he could not frive)

So what ?
We do what we need to do to help out those in the world around us.
You're right. We are normal people that love and care for our neighbors and help them. The point of all this is that we are normal -- we just do everyday things for our neighbors. We serve our communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 06:39 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You're right. We are normal people that love and care for our neighbors and help them. The point of all this is that we are normal -- we just do everyday things for our neighbors. We serve our communities.
Yep, and there is no need for God to do that or to make it have meaning. No need for any teleological purpose either. The common denominator is not religiosity, God, Christian, etc., but human. We do these things because of biological, social, and psychological reasons. All that other stuff is useless overlay that gets confused with these underlying things.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:

I think almost everyone recognizes that and appreciates what religious and non religious people do for others.

It is also noted that too many people wish to ignore or downplay the wrongs done by their religious leaders and those leaders should be held accountable for their actions just like everyone else. I think you understand that, based on what you stated in the rapists hired by a church thread.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:42 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
This is great. It shows a lot of love. Whenever someone does this, it should be commended, not because the person is looking for commendation, but because helping other people is a great thing.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:46 AM

43 posts, read 38,790 times
The fact that he's a Christian pastor has nothing to do with anything. Just like when Christian pastors who do horrible things we don't blame the fact that they were a pastor.

Ridiculous post.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:58 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Recently, a Christian pastor took his neighbor to the doctor. The neighbor had to have a knee replacement, so he took him in for surgery, saw him through surgery, and picked him up the next day. He then took him back to the hospital (30 miles each way) twice weekly for the next 6 weeks for physical therapy.

And no, the neighbor does not attend his church. Nor did he get paid for it.
Oh ye of little faith.

Why did you not pray for him instead?

Old 05-05-2016, 11:02 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Oh ye of little faith.

Why did you not pray for him instead?
This is actually a good point. Why not pray and leave it to God's will, not man's carnal, incorrect and inherently sinful of-the-flesh will?

And further, wasn't transporting the man to the doctor an impingement of the man's free will?

If the man wanted to get to the doctor shouldn't he have utilized his free will to get there himself...or choose, again of his free will, to just not go? And don't give me that "he had no options to get there himself" bit, if it weren't for man's underlying sinful nature and his ability to CHOOSE these negatives wouldn't happen and there would be no opportunities for learning, so I'm laying that blame squarely on the dude's own shoulders.

I say: this pastor interrupted the man's free will which I have to assume is a sin...certainly God doesn't impinge in this way when, say, a child is starving to death. So what's one bum knee??

Sure it could be argued that it WAS this man's free will that he get his knee fixed but OTOH, it's a sexually abused child's free will that the rape stop but we don't see THAT automatically happening, now do we? "Wanting" something of the flesh and God KNOWING what's ACTUALLY good for us are two different things...correct? We can't make those decisions ourselves, as if we ourselves are God.

Boo to this pastor.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:12 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATT View Post
The fact that he's a Christian pastor has nothing to do with anything. Just like when Christian pastors who do horrible things we don't blame the fact that they were a pastor.

Ridiculous post.
You're new here.

I'm going to defend Vizio, who I have had differences with, as to why this thread was started.

If people can come on the Christianity forum and make thread after thread with the only point being to demonstrate how this Christian or that Christian--and yes, some of them pastors--do horrible things--why can't Vizio make a thread about Christians who do good things? Yes, it's boring. There's no real story in niceness. But there are millions of people who do small kindness every day because they are mindful that Christ asked them to love others and they practice that as a,way of life.

Yes, we all know non-Christian people who also do good things for others. Kindness and love for one's neighbors are not confined to Christianity. Neither is hypocrisy.

Back to our regularly-scheduled arguing.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You're new here.

I'm going to defend Vizio, who I have had differences with, as to why this thread was started.

If people can come on the Christianity forum and make thread after thread with the only point being to demonstrate how this Christian or that Christian--and yes, some of them pastors--do horrible things--why can't Vizio make a thread about Christians who do good things? Yes, it's boring. There's no real story in niceness. But there are millions of people who do small kindness every day because they are mindful that Christ asked them to love others and they practice that as a,way of life.

Yes, we all know non-Christian people who also do good things for others. Kindness and love for one's neighbors are not confined to Christianity. Neither is hypocrisy.

Back to our regularly-scheduled arguing.
Good one. Too soon, etc.

(Although, next time Viz is being a knob, I'm still gonna call him on it.)

Old 05-06-2016, 12:50 AM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
I say good on Visio. Good on letting us know he is a normal compassionate human being (a bit eccentric in his beliefs about creation maybe ). Go Visio!

I'd rep him but I'm out of reps for him. Will you accept a instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality