Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
of course we should. Unfortunately, though....most churches or denominations that ordain said pastors don't do their homework on evaluating said pastoral candidate and they just let anyone do it.

Some Christian pastors are posers who are in it merely because they like the "work", or they are comfortable doing it.
Uh-huh.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:04 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
No big surprise here

First, when we were kids, the pastors daughter at our church ran away from home. She was about 15. Later she came back, but they told her to move back where she came from. About a year later, she reappeared, and our pastor suddenly and abruptly announced his resignation, saying "I have been called to be a missionary!" He promptly left town and I have never seen or found him since. Good riddence...I truly hated that man.

Anyway, my friend had an older sister who was friends with this young lady. She said afterwards that he had been molesting her, which I believe, as he was a scum anyway.

But it is more common than we think.

The ex wife cat had to run a group counseling session as part of her masters in psychology. Her focus group was for incest survivors. Of the girls in the group, 77 % had been molested by someone in the clergy...a father, uncle, grandfather.
23 % by a non clergy relative...cousin brother sister aunt etc

More common than we think.
And another good reason to just say NO to religion!

Old 05-03-2016, 04:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Uh-huh.
Well, you know how it goes....it's always someone else who has the problem.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:00 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So if you had your way NO ONE would be in prison, pedophiles would run free and Ted Bundy would be your daughter's first and last date?
So if you had your way, chickens would never cross the road and no one would ask "why did the chicken cross the road?"

Old 05-03-2016, 06:03 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
No big surprise here

First, when we were kids, the pastors daughter at our church ran away from home. She was about 15. Later she came back, but they told her to move back where she came from. About a year later, she reappeared, and our pastor suddenly and abruptly announced his resignation, saying "I have been called to be a missionary!" He promptly left town and I have never seen or found him since. Good riddence...I truly hated that man.

Anyway, my friend had an older sister who was friends with this young lady. She said afterwards that he had been molesting her, which I believe, as he was a scum anyway.

The ex wife cat had to run a group counseling session as part of her masters in psychology. Her focus group was for incest survivors. Of the girls in the group, 77 % had been molested by someone in the clergy...a father, uncle, grandfather.

Don't you think that is an improper way to end your post? It was okay up to the last remark.

That is like saying: If you don't like pollution, just don't breathe.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You never know. Some of the ministers who were the most outspoken against homosexuality were discovered to be closet homosexuals themselves. Ted Haggard comes to mind.

Personally, I hate pointing the finger at others for their mistakes made in life because I know I am a sinner, am not perfect and could fall into some horrible sin myself.
No, you were referring to the type of person who makes threads like these. It's unlikely such people are Christian, much less Christian leaders. We all know you're talking about, for example, Cupper. Cupper is not a Christian.

Ergo, whatever the motives, I'm not seeing the hypocrisy.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
No big surprise here

Well, the thing is, certain professions just lend themselves to such people being able to molest, because of power in the community, authority, easy access to children and the victim realizing or feeling nobody will believe him or her.

This is just one of those positions, of course. There are others. But it's more horrifying because of the degree of trust, I feel. And so it stands out.

It's sad and awful.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Is this any more newsworthy than a gas station attendant or any random person doing the same?
It sure is. No more punishable - the law is the law - but the far flung possibilities, for example the total amount of children such a person would regularly have access to, plus the absolute betrayal of trust of a formerly trusted person, in fact leader and guider, are definitely noteworthy and not in a good way.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:39 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Is this any more newsworthy than a gas station attendant or any random person doing the same?
Or say a pastor buying gas, fixing a computer or other wise doing any frivolous act?

Old 05-04-2016, 12:02 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, you were referring to the type of person who makes threads like these. It's unlikely such people are Christian, much less Christian leaders. We all know you're talking about, for example, Cupper. Cupper is not a Christian.

Ergo, whatever the motives, I'm not seeing the hypocrisy.
Methinks Eusie feels that if everything else fails, lets grasp at straws, or, hey, why not go the Trump route and throw innuendo around like confetti at a wedding.

I know some very good Christians. Not many of them show themselves on these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.