Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:11 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Actually, their sin gave birth to the Moabites and Ammonite nations. They were not God's chosen people, and they were outside of his covenants.
The punch line is that the Moabites and the Ammonites are descended from a couple of inbred bastards.

That's what the whole story leads up to, with lots of drama along the way. Lot and his family have to become isolated; in this case, the only survivors of a huge catastrophe. His wife has to be crisply done away with, and she is. And Lot ends up in the mountains with his two daughters. That's how it happened that the Moabites and the Ammonites came into existence.

The tale was surely helped along by the presence of some impressive ruins and those weird salt formations found along the Dead Sea.

http://www.funcage.com/blog/wp-conte...ad-Sea-012.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 11:12 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Do you believe that Judaism or Christianity teaches such a thing? Or that the message of Genesis was that a Jew or Christian should do the same?
It worked for Lot's daughters?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
obviously.

But do you believe that it correctly reflects Christian or Jewish teaching? Is this something that either religion teaches?
One would think MURDER does not reflect christian teaching, but humans do it all the time in the name of god...

Old 05-04-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The only point I drew from the story is the bible god is an insane psycho.

That was when I was about 10. I didn't have an agenda 'til much later.
You really need to learn not to take everything so literally, TD. Darn nonfiction writers.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The punch line is that the Moabites and the Ammonites are descended from a couple of inbred bastards.

That's what the whole story leads up to, with lots of drama along the way. Lot and his family have to become isolated; in this case, the only survivors of a huge catastrophe. His wife has to be crisply done away with, and she is. And Lot ends up in the mountains with his two daughters. That's how it happened that the Moabites and the Ammonites came into existence.

The tale was surely helped along by the presence of some impressive ruins and those weird salt formations found along the Dead Sea.

Well. that makes everything alright!

Old 05-04-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Hell no, it doesn't. It makes it a story. And an example of how long a group of people has been making up nasty stories about another group of people.

Oh yeah, and Lot was a Hebrew himself, but you see, it's not really HIS fault. He was drunk and didn't know what he was doing. It was the women again, those rotten evil women who make good men do bad things.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hell no, it doesn't. It makes it a story. And an example of how long a group of people has been making up nasty stories about another group of people.

Oh yeah, and Lot was a Hebrew himself, but you see, it's not really HIS fault. He was drunk and didn't know what he was doing. It was the women again, those rotten evil women who make good men do bad things.
LOL....C-D needs a RHETORICAL emoticon.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
LOL....C-D needs a RHETORICAL emoticon.
I was just chiming in on your lead!

Old 05-04-2016, 01:26 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:

I feel as if some of these stories (not just the Bible specifically, lots of ancient "tradition" stories from various cultures) arose from creeper fantasies.

"So suppose your wife was frozen into a block and your young daughters thought you were the LAST people on earth and you were all stuck somewhere together...for a loooooooong time..."

30-second creeper fantasy alert!

I mean I'm sure there must be an allegory in there somewhere. LOL. Still...I just...I don't know...cold-water enema shivers from that story.

Quote:
Well, yeah. I mean if women didn't have breasts and eyes and stuff, men would NEVER have to do terrible things to them. It's a good idea to cement the "women are at fault for...being women" terror with "here's a story where women did TRULY EVIL THINGS!" B.S. very very very very very unlikely stories. That way, when you're forced to legally rape 11-year-olds (that used to be called marriage, though), send your daughters off to strangers to be raped as a courtesy, send a barren one away to live a life of begging and starving on the streets so you can buy a fresh one from her dad and try again or randomly stone them to death, nobody has to feel very bad about it.

Moving along...

Old 05-04-2016, 02:50 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I feel as if some of these stories (not just the Bible specifically, lots of ancient "tradition" stories from various cultures) arose from creeper fantasies.

"So suppose your wife was frozen into a block and your young daughters thought you were the LAST people on earth and you were all stuck somewhere together...for a loooooooong time..."

30-second creeper fantasy alert!

I mean I'm sure there must be an allegory in there somewhere. LOL. Still...I just...I don't know...cold-water enema shivers from that story.

Well, yeah. I mean if women didn't have breasts and eyes and stuff, men would NEVER have to do terrible things to them. It's a good idea to cement the "women are at fault for...being women" terror with "here's a story where women did TRULY EVIL THINGS!" B.S. very very very very very unlikely stories. That way, when you're forced to legally rape 11-year-olds (that used to be called marriage, though), send your daughters off to strangers to be raped as a courtesy, send a barren one away to live a life of begging and starving on the streets so you can buy a fresh one from her dad and try again or randomly stone them to death, nobody has to feel very bad about it.

Moving along...

The Lot story definitely has a strong creeper vibe to it. It reads like some kind of erotic fantasy written by a man really into the idea of a threesome with his young, hot daughters but knew his wife would object. Fortunately for Mr. Creepy, God comes along and gets rid of the pesky wife allowing Lot an opportunity to get busy with his offspring. The really creepy part of the story for me is the ludicrous claim that Lot was so wasted that he didn't even know he was having sex with his daughters, but his equipment was still fully functional. That is some top shelf Bravo Sierra right there, and more than a little date rapey to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality