Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 07:35 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I need an internet meme:

Call you stupid, a bigot, person of hate, stupid, a poor excuse for humanity, spends every day ripping apart people's faith with zero ounce of respect or friendliness

< INSERT PICTURE OF ATHEIST >

Wants you to believe they are really good caring people.
Did I call you stupid?

Did I ever say that Christians cannot be good people!

Did I call you a poor excuse for humanity?

Have I ever said that you are wrong for believing in your God or Jesus?

I think the answer to all of those is NO

Did you say that an atheist cannot do good things unless it is for selfish reasons?

Did you claim that all atheist are mean spirited?

Have you ever claimed that atheists can not be moral or know morals?

Did you claim that it is fine with government officials discriminating against gays and lesbians?

I think the answer for those are yes.

I keep telling you that I oppose bad ideas, discrimination, bigotry, attacks on science and art, destroying the environment or misrepresention of other people, animals, nature etc. You bring up bad ideas or poor arguments supporting bad ideas I will opose them. If you bring up ones like you playing music for therapy or some good deed your church has done without attacking those who are not of your faith I will either agree or not respond depending on the wording and if I have anything to add. But you make statements like the second response to this thread stating that an atheist is selfish in doing a good deed then 8 will disagree.

You are not a stupid person. Unfortunately it is either a hatred or fear of atheists that does not allow you to see that much of what you perceive as an attack on your god is simply a disagreement with your own words. And it gets worse the longer time goes on. I do not know how often I have explained to you that it is the words and ideas that you promote and not your religion per say that I have problems with.

If you cannot accept that an atheist can be a caring person, even after they do a good deed then create that meme. I think you actually believe that. If you lived in Fort McMurray and I lived south of it and you were needing a place to stay you would be welcomed in my house. I would just need to find a way to refrain from discussing religion if you brought it up but you would be able to stay with us if you needed a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 09:00 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I keep telling you that I oppose bad ideas, discrimination, bigotry, attacks on science and art, destroying the environment or misrepresention of other people, animals, nature etc. ......
So why the hell are you liberal and me conservative when we have the same perspectives on all of the above. Maybe because I kind of subscribe to Lee Morrison's definition of a redneck, and you don't? Although, some how I think you're on board with his perspectives also. Especially since Speedy Creek is just to the east of you.

MP recites the ‘redneck’ pledge - The Western Producer

Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
OK. Im not missing anything from your take, at all, I don't think. What I'm saying ,is that there's no way of knowing what else these people who post prayer wishes are doing, other than offering prayer. I'm not one to post prayer on social media, and I get the annoyance with people who do, nevertheless, those who do so could quite possibly be far more proactive than just posting online. There's no way to tell.

I am well aware that there is not way to tell what these people are doing off of social media. You get no argument there. My point was, praying, or posting that you are praying on social media, helps no one. Maybe it makes you feel good, or makes you think you are helping, but in the end it does absolutely nothing for the people who need help.

Quote:
Calling them pious braggargs, out of hand ,is jumping the gun a bit. The OP is bashing an entire segment of society by a select few, Doesn't seem fair to me. Post a link to the Red Cross? Well, the Red Cross is a Christian funded organization, So is the Salvation Army, who gets heavily involved in disaster relief. The people who post these prayer wishes, could very well be on a plane, heading to stricken areas to get their hands dirty as well. Ain't no way to know.

You seem to be taking offense to something I didn't say, NV. Again, my point isn't that they shouldn't be praying, nor am I saying they are doing nothing else. I am simply saying, posting something on your social media account, whatever it may be, saying, "Praying for the people of _______!" does NOT help anyone but yourself. If you are doing other things, then fantastic! Still though, if you wanted to be of help to the people, you could very well have posted something to let people know where/how they could help, as opposed to "Praying for you!"

Again, in no way am I, or from what I have seen anyone else, suggesting that a whole segment of the population does this. If someone has suggested that, then they would be wrong.

Quote:
The naked bile and contempt be ajse of posted prayer wishes just doesn't make sense to me, in light of the lack of knowing the people who post them, is all I'm trying to say. It could , as easily be damning someone who has every intention of going far beyond just words.

Again, I have no contempt for people posting prayers. The point of the OP, however, wasn't to say, "You should never pray for anything, ever, for any reason, especially on social media!" No, it was to say that instead of saying you'll pray for them, which is only helping yourself feel like you are doing something, you should actually act, or at least spread the information that would help others, help out.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Again, I have no contempt for people posting prayers. The point of the OP, however, wasn't to say, "You should never pray for anything, ever, for any reason, especially on social media!" No, it was to say that instead of saying you'll pray for them, which is only helping yourself feel like you are doing something, you should actually act, or at least spread the information that would help others, help out.
Somebody who gets it! Thanks.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's part of what I call the mystery. After brush fires move through it's not uncommon to see one or two houses untouched amidst rows of house burned to the foundation. Why? Why are the homes of people who pray sometimes burned....while others are spared? Why, when people pray, do they still loose their home? Does God hear the prayers of some over the prayers of others? Does one person praying "cover" everything or is there power in number? Atheists may return to an untouched home while their Christian, praying neighbor looses everything. Why?

I've spent a lot of time asking those questions. I've asked them in prayer groups. I've asked friends who are non-believers. I can't say I've received an answer that satisfies me. Which is why I call it the mystery. (I don't believe in an angry, avenging God....which would probably make it a lot easier. "God stopped blessing us because of gay marriage!!" I don't believe that so.....)

Personally, I pray because it's as natural to me as breathing. As is donating to disaster relief services.

I hear ya.... One of life's many mysteries. To a non believer like myself, this makes it seem like nothing more than randomness, or coincidence. As I have said before on this thread, in no way am I saying people shouldn't pray, just that they should do things to help that involve actions, not words. If you do both, then that is great, but if you do one or the other, it should definitely be helping, not praying. Even if that helping is nothing more than spreading the word to people online about HOW to help.

Living in an area that gets A LOT of severe weather, including tornadoes and hurricanes and a whole lot of flooding, I try to help as much as I can, however I can. Glad to hear you do the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Years ago I wrote a manual on disaster preparation that was distributed by a Fortune 500 company to thousands of employees. It did not contain instructions to pray. It DID contain a list of disaster relief agencies (religious and non-religious) and business that sold earthquake/emergency supplies. I'm very practical.

Oh, I know about this kind of stuff.... For some reason I was tagged to be the "safety guy" at my last job, and spent a good deal of time writing safety material to hang up around the place, and distribute to employees.... Not my cup of tea. Sounds like yours probably went a little better, and probably dealt with a larger scale.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Somebody who gets it! Thanks.
I got you, cupper!

I understood fully what you meant, and was trying to reiterate with my posts. I think NV maybe just misunderstood a bit as to what was being said, which let's be honest, is quite easy to do online.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:10 AM

22,194 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
no, cupper is very clear, he flat out tells people not to pray
and he flat out has contempt for prayer and for those who pray
period

(interesting that you are backpedaling and seeking to do damage control for him)

Quote:
What really frosts my butt is to see all the "Pray for Ft. McMurray" ...
Please, don't pray.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-09-2016 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
period

(interesting that you are backpedaling and seeking to do damage control for him)
Always taking things out of context, aren't you Tzaph?

The context, if you are interested in being honest for once, is to do MORE than pray. Do not simply pray, and do nothing else. I can't understand people's aversion to ACTUALLY trying to help, instead of telling everyone "praying for you!" on Facebook.

I am not doing damage control for anyone. I am stating my beliefs on the subject, they just happen to coincide with cupper's on this thread.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
period

You are a mischevious, dishonest christian. You show why christians who are deceptive are so dispised.

You left out the important part of that post:
Please, don't pray.

Do something real. The Red Cross are the go to people on stuff like this... help them out.
Why would you purposely be so deceptive? Is it the morals your faith taught you? Disgusting. Truly disgusting to lower yourself to purposeful deception by omission.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
You are a mischevious, dishonest christian. You show why christians who are deceptive are so dispised.

You left out the important part of that post:
Please, don't pray.

Do something real. The Red Cross are the go to people on stuff like this... help them out.
Why would you purposely be so deceptive? Is it the morals your faith taught you? Disgusting. Truly disgusting to lower yourself to purposeful deception by omission.
Yea, it seems like she lives to be dishonest, and misrepresent non believers intentions. That would seem to go against her religious beliefs, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality