Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 11:09 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
How are you stuck?

Your coach showed you how, and taught you a set of skills. Your leap of faith is putting those tools to work.

Most jobs applications are on line. You have computer skills. You can spell. You have skills. You have nothing to lose by seeking employment without your coach.

A leap of faith is for everyone. It takes practice. You can do this.
Because I know that I want to follow my heart but my mind knows it's illogical and my mind can't decide how exactly to do it. I am worried about hurting someone for nothing and bothering people or being the center of attention.

That's the problem most of them are online. They have those stupid tests that she has to take for me because I have no idea what they want me to click even with an answer key. I just don't know what they want from me in general. I never know what to say or put on my resume because you have to tailor it for certain jobs.
What good is an all powerful being if he can't tell me what I can do to make myself happy? This is what's so stupid about religion. People claim god only tells you what to do in benefit for him but as to your own desires they imply that you are on your own in achieving them. Well if he does exist, he might as well not be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 11:28 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Because I know that I want to follow my heart but my mind knows it's illogical and my mind can't decide how exactly to do it. I am worried about hurting someone for nothing and bothering people or being the center of attention.

That's the problem most of them are online. They have those stupid tests that she has to take for me because I have no idea what they want me to click even with an answer key. I just don't know what they want from me in general. I never know what to say or put on my resume because you have to tailor it for certain jobs.
What good is an all powerful being if he can't tell me what I can do to make myself happy? This is what's so stupid about religion. People claim god only tells you what to do in benefit for him but as to your own desires they imply that you are on your own in achieving them. Well if he does exist, he might as well not be.
God does not tell you what to do. You have an array of services, and you are standing in your own way with negativity. Stop that.

You have skills. I see them in your post. Take the tests. The more you take, the better you get at them. Most of them are various ways to find out if you will steal, or follow directions. They ask in a hundred ways. Every three months put in another with the same company.

WallMart is an example. They pay minimum wage, and assume their employees are going to steal from them. Their computer test is very long.

Resume writing is difficult for most people. Keep it to one page, and think about how your skills match their needs. Your cover letter is the place for your pitch.

If you believe God should tell you what to do, then perhaps I have been put in your path for a reason.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:32 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
In other words, why can't religious or spiritual Americans be like me.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:00 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
I'm talking about real decisions..the ones that make or break my life. I am stuck in a relationship because of this and I never know how to apply for jobs on my own so on days that I don't have my coach I really don't know what to do. A leap of faith is for neurotypical people.
Few decisions are so consequential that they will make or break your life. To the point that I would even venture to say that NO individual decisions are like that. It is far more important that, when a decision turns out to be a bad one, you learn from it -- and are capable of cutting your losses and disengaging from whatever that gets you caught up in.

Unarguably the most consequential decision of my life was deciding to marry my first wife, which ended up being a toxic and dysfunctional relationship on multiple levels. But even that decision was at the end of a causal chain full of other decisions -- and I ignored all sorts of warning signs along the way. And even after it proved to be a bad decision I waffled for 15 years before cutting my losses and moving on. I ignored those warning signs and stewed in my own juices for so long because I had a lot of dysfunctional patterns of thinking, largely a result of my theism at the time, which provided many taboos and limited my options and my ability to act in my own rational self-interest (and that of my children).

But guess what -- I finally wised up and did what I had to do. I have made mistakes since but I am always recovering from them more quickly and learning more from them.

So quit thinking of personal decisions as a zero-sum game. You will make good and bad choices, but if you pay attention to the resulting feedback loops, the quality of your decisions will improve over time.

You are not some sort of demigod who has to be perfect. You're an imperfect human who gets to make mistakes and learn from them. It's part of the process.

Last edited by mordant; 05-07-2016 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
God does not tell you what to do. You have an array of services, and you are standing in your own way with negativity. Stop that.

You have skills. I see them in your post. Take the tests. The more you take, the better you get at them. Most of them are various ways to find out if you will steal, or follow directions. They ask in a hundred ways. Every three months put in another with the same company.

WallMart is an example. They pay minimum wage, and assume their employees are going to steal from them. Their computer test is very long.

Resume writing is difficult for most people. Keep it to one page, and think about how your skills match their needs. Your cover letter is the place for your pitch.

If you believe God should tell you what to do, then perhaps I have been put in your path for a reason.
Where are these array of services? I have one job coach and one therapist...neither of which have gotten me success yet and therapy is a joke.

The tests are part of the reason I have a coach now. I almost always answer honestly. I'm not a thief and I'm obv better at following than leading so it shouldn't be a problem that I answer that way. I don't know how to lie. The only time I passed one of those dumb tests on my own is when I didn't put much thought in it so that was a fluke.

I wrote a cover letter for an internship once and they didn't even reply. I tried to make it perfect and put down why I honestly wanted/was good for that opportunity. It was in my dream field so they should have picked up on the authenticity but no....

What good is he if he can't tell me the way to success? He would know that I don't fit in and I try really hard..even when I'm not trying I'm still trying. Tell me why if he exists would he want me to keep failing when he would know that I'm just asking for a chance? It is literally impossible now with the way my life has turned out. Plus when you think about it it would be completely stupid for a god to not help this happen right now because I would learn a lot more important things at a job. If I can't make significant money, I can't venture out into the world and be truly independent. I'm always going to be stuck here if nothing happens. I really don't see why a being that is supposed to be all powerful wouldn't show himself and say "You should apply for this job and it's okay to be yourself and be honest. They will hire you" Literally that's all I need..it should be that simple. It doesn't break the free will rule so I don't see the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Few decisions are so consequential that they will make or break your life. To the point that I would even venture to say that NO individual decisions are like that. It is far more important that, when a decision turns out to be a bad one, you learn from it -- and are capable of cutting your losses and disengaging from whatever that gets you caught up in.

Unarguably the most consequential decision of my life was deciding to marry my first wife, which ended up being a toxic and dysfunctional relationship on multiple levels. But even that decision was at the end of a causal chain full of other decisions -- and I ignored all sorts of warning signs along the way. And even after it proved to be a bad decision I waffled for 15 years before cutting my losses and moving on. I ignored those warning signs and stewed in my own juices for so long because I had a lot of dysfunctional patterns of thinking, largely a result of my theism at the time, which provided many taboos and limited my options and my ability to act in my own rational self-interest (and that of my children).

But guess what -- I finally wised up and did what I had to do. I have made mistakes since but I am always recovering from them more quickly and learning more from them.

So quit thinking of personal decisions as a zero-sum game. You will make good and bad choices, but if you pay attention to the resulting feedback loops, the quality of your decisions will improve over time.

You are not some sort of demigod who has to be perfect. You're an imperfect human who gets to make mistakes and learn from them. It's part of the process.
How do I even know what signs are real and what signs are just me overthinking? I think way too much to the point my head becomes this whirlwind. I mean this is probably part of the reason why I'm not one extreme and am an agnostic theist.
I make too many mistakes. I ruined my life with them and many times there is no way to learn from them. Even my coach says for example you can learn from every interview. Learn what? Every employer is different and even when I apparently do good and they like me they still don't want me. What is there to learn from that? That I'm just not meant for a job?
Plus I know I should have looked for a job right out of high school instead of continuing education but why do I need to continue feeling the consequences when I've known that for a long time?
As far as relationships, it gets more complicated because you can hurt yourself and others. If I was with a truly awful person it would be a lot easier. There is no reset button so the damage could easily be permanent.

Last edited by Nickchick; 05-07-2016 at 08:43 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 08:50 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
The tests are part of the reason I have a coach now. I almost always answer honestly. I'm not a thief and I'm obv better at following than leading so it shouldn't be a problem that I answer that way. I don't know how to lie. The only time I passed one of those dumb tests on my own is when I didn't put much thought in it so that was a fluke.

How do I even know what signs are real and what signs are just me overthinking? I think way too much to the point my head becomes this whirlwind.
I think if you take the two bolded remarks above together, it's clear that you need to think less. I suspect you passed the one test because you didn't give overdetermined answers. It was not just a fluke.

As to how to tamp down your overthinking (or as Mark Twain put it, "the constant gale of thoughts that blow through a man's head"), different things help different people. Secular mindfulness meditation training is inexpensive and might be helpful.

Part of your overthinking is bogged down in negative thought patterns. The tests are stupid, the therapy is a joke, life isn't fair. I'm not suggesting that tests are never stupid, that a good therapist isn't a couple of orders of magnitude better than a mediocre one, or that life isn't absurd. But always ask yourself, "to what purpose or end am I dwelling on these negatives"? How has that been working for you? Not to well, it would seem.

So allow things to be as they are and don't blame them for your problems. I have taken abysmally stupid tests, for example, even been sent to interview for entirely the wrong job one time, but eventually I find work. So will you, but if you seem to have a chip on our shoulder or a Cloud of Doom following you to interview activities, people pick up on that and avoid you like the plague. Maybe they aren't very conscious of why, even. Somehow you have to gather yourself and rise to the occasion and accept the imperfect process as it is and quit railing impotently against it.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
but if you seem to have a chip on our shoulder or a Cloud of Doom following you to interview activities, people pick up on that and avoid you like the plague. Maybe they aren't very conscious of why, even. Somehow you have to gather yourself and rise to the occasion and accept the imperfect process as it is and quit railing impotently against it.
I don't understand that because it's not like I say anything like that on an interview. I just answer their questions. If it's a vibe they read it's not anything I can help. I have been taken advantage a lot and when I keep getting rejected when I try really hard I don't know what people expect of me. Why should I be positive about the whole process when none of my efforts seem to matter? I don't like interviews because I have no interest in meeting people for the sake of it. I'm just here to earn money in a place I can feel comfortable earning at. Not to mention say when I apply for a job at the pet store I always make sure to tell them how much experience I have with animals yet they see nothing but bad? I can't fake anything about myself so if they expect me to be this perky little person who pretends my life has always been sunshine and rainbows..that there is nothing wrong with me it's not happening. To do so would require delusion. Why does it matter what's going on inside my head now? If I get hired I will be grateful.
I also have been aware of how much I am detached from the world so it's not just a self fulfilling prophecy. As a child you don't have any of those negative feelings like that and even as a child I didn't really connect with people. I had a few friends but no one really close to. I also know that even almost one whole side of my family pretty much hated me so how am I supposed to believe that an employer is going to want me before they hire me when my flesh and blood doesn't esp when a lot of people are rotten so that includes employers? I know that I am willing to learn were they to hire me. I know I'm good with animals but I also know there is competition and they want people who will fit into their culture..most likely my competition will fit in better. It also helps that I'm disabled and I know that many employers apparently want someone who wouldn't need to be trained or trained much. I mean that's why they have those laws..because employers apparently care too much about it. My coach tells me a lot of positive things to say and yet 6 interviews no offers. Even when I say something that is honest but is worded the way it's supposed to be I still don't get hired?
With a life like mine, I need circumstantial validation to be positive/confident.
I have tried thinking about being someone else..maybe try to act like a musician I admire as he would be super confident but I don't know how to do that either because I know they are hiring me so again I don't know how to fake it when I'm not auditioning to be a character in a fictional program. I had a therapist once tell me to fake confidence and after a while of faking it it would then become real. She even attempted to show me how but that doesn't work. It's just not something that registers in my type of brain. I try to overextend it by thinking pretend to be him acting as me but I don't know how to imagine any of this when this is real life.

Quote:
I think if you take the two bolded remarks above together, it's clear that you need to think less. I suspect you passed the one test because you didn't give overdetermined answers. It was not just a fluke.

As to how to tamp down your overthinking (or as Mark Twain put it, "the constant gale of thoughts that blow through a man's head"), different things help different people. Secular mindfulness meditation training is inexpensive and might be helpful.
I think it was because I doubt I can do that again. I was just taking the test for the hell of it so it was literally just guessing not even educated guessing and put whatever button first came to mind. For a job I really want I would be afraid to do that. I probly only passed because I didn't want the job. That's how it is with basically contests/raffles or similar. I get the prizes that I don't really want and that was before I would have expected that so I don't will myself to get the prizes I don't want.

Would that be a way to tap into your subconcious? I've always wanted to because I know the subconcious is powerful. Problem is I've tried hypnosis which I think is similar and it doesn't work on me. Meditation requires relaxation and I'm one of those people who seriously doesn't know how to just relax. My way of relaxing is listening to music because my mind always needs to be concentrated on something. I know this because I've had problems sleeping a lot of my life because my mind just doesn't want to shut off.

Last edited by Nickchick; 05-07-2016 at 09:52 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 10:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It was not about punishment or curiosity. Claiming that is ridiculous.

It was meant to stop a war in which hundreds of thousands were already killed.
I'm sure vengeance and testing were only minor biases in the ultimate decision (even if you claim these reasons as "ridiculous" many lower-end Americans in power over this issue did hold them in high regard). The main bias was big interests, probably the biggest being economic ones. But other major interests would have included a need for a complete and total show of force in the world and a need for a Japanese unconditional surrender so that we could level military supremacy across the world for years to come, and try to protect our world businesses with that military. The biggest bias for the decision, however, would have been that in the situation of WWII, it could be justifiable because of the arms race and growing racial/nationalist tensions.

Of course, I think overwhelming military supremacy is largely a waste of resources unless you have destructive or over-controlling plans in mind, both of which often lead to dead-end wastes of time as they usually only make things more complex.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
God allows humans to make their own decisions and mistakes. If he didn't, we would not be humans but robots.
So what do you expect you are going to be in your possible imagined after-life Heavens Fleet? Fallible? or Robotic?

Old 05-07-2016, 11:13 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
But, NO ONE would have died had God intervened and prevent the WAR initially.
It's not God's job to prevent wars. It's ours. That's why they call it free will. How is it that people do not grasp this concept?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality