Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 10:13 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You think nuking 150,000 Japanese (mostly civilians) made up for America almost eradicating an entire indigenous culture?
While I understand that this thread isn't about history, comments like this are like fingernails on a chalkboard to a trained historian (me, for instance).

The only reason why nuking 150,000 Japanese seems so utterly bad is because today we lived through 50 years of Cold War jitters thus we tend to surgically remove the 150,000 or so who were killed by the atomic bombs but care little about the several million who were killed by conventional bombing by both sides.

People seem to forget that WWII was not fought like today's wars. Today, our forces tip-toe around everything as if they're afraid to damage so much as a tea cup while fighting a war and then get lambasted and smeared in the press every time Al-Qaeda or ISIS says our drones killed civilians -- yeah, even the U.S. media seems willing to believe our enemies at face value just to add some drama and controversy to that night's infotainment. This type of warfare actually ends up leading to higher body counts on both sides with the conflict lasting as long as a decade instead of a few years or even months. And it makes the war virtually unwinnable.

WWII was fought as a total war. Civilians were seen as producers of weapons of war and therefore legitimate targets. The strategy of the time said that the war would not be won on the battlefield but in the factories -- and they were absolutely 100% right. It was America's and Russia's industrial might that won the war and the basic big picture strategy for the Allies was to destroy the Axis ability to wage war.

In those days, no one tip-toed. It was total war ... because in WWII, everyone really WAS fighting for their freedom.

People who raise all of these holy moral objections about the atomic bomb being dropped are simply timewarping their 2016 morals back to 1945 and that's poison to the ears of anyone serious about history. That's something you just don't do.

Just a friendly word of historical advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 11:54 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
So, do your children have freewill? Are they and their actions/interactions your responsibility anyway?

I've always thought that gods and men are guilty of all the good that they don't do.
I don't have kids. But kids become accountable for their decisions around the age of 8.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
But it's god's job to ensure you win, right? I mean, why else do we have these weapon blessings?

Ain't gawd great when he is on your side?
Please don't put words in my mouth.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
There are multiple verses in the Bible that proclaims God is in control. You can't have it both ways. Contradictory claims are generally difficult to grasp.
I don't have 100% knowledge of how it all works in the grand scheme of things and neither do you. But I DO know that there are decisions that I CAN control and some things that I can't. The most common behavior I see is that humans often blame other people or God or circumstances for stuff they've done to themselves.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The Old Testament tells a different story--Appears God is very much involved in STARTING wars--

Examples of God commanding people to Kill in the Old Testament:

1 Samuel 15:3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

NUMBERS 21:3 The Lord gave the Canaanites over to Israel, who "completely destroyed them and their towns."

NUMBERS 31:17-18 God commanded Moses to kill all of the male Midianite children and "kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man." The virgins were presumably raped. (NOTE: How could the soldiers know which women were virgins?)
I'm not a fundamentalist who believes everything in the Bible is 100% the word of god with no exceptions. Believe it or not, not all Christians are fundamentalists.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:42 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm not a fundamentalist who believes everything in the Bible is 100% the word of god with no exceptions. Believe it or not, not all Christians are fundamentalists.
amen sista.
Apologetics and non-literal is the only logical position.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:05 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
amen sista.
Apologetics and non-literal is the only logical position.
Yes, it makes avoiding the problems in the Bible so much easier, but no one has explained to me the criterion for deciding which parts are literal and which are not, except for the convenience of the believer.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:47 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Yes, it makes avoiding the problems in the Bible so much easier, but no one has explained to me the criterion for deciding which parts are literal and which are not, except for the convenience of the believer.
its simple. Magic out. love thy neighbor in. Self help parts in, weapon parts out.

questions? or is this too complicated? of course I don't believe in the god in the bible, but nor do I have to toss out everything just because I don't.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:00 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,972,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Everybody knows it. God stopped blessing America and left us with our own sins. I am absolutely scared. I know Heaven/Armageddon sounds very boring and scary, really...the immortal spirit world is not my idea of paradise.
We must wake people up immediately before it's too late, but how??
First of all, we do Not pray Our Father who art in paradise.
Paradise is where Adam and Eve lived on Earth ( aka Garden of Eden )
The majority of people will end up living on Earth - Matthew 5:5; Psalms 37:11,29; Proverbs 2:21-22
Mankind will see the return of the Genesis paradisical ' tree of life ' on Earth for the healing of Earth's nations.
- Revelation 22:2 - when No one will say, ' I am sick......' - Isaiah 33:24, and ' enemy death ' will be No more on Earth.
- 1st Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8

Jesus mentioned spreading the 'good news of God's kingdom government' at Matthew 24:14 to be a witness to the nations and Not a conversion. Individuals out of all of Earth's nations can become part of God's spiritual nation - 1st Peter 2:9,5

We are nearing the soon coming ' time of separation ' on earth - Matthew 25:31-33,37 - when righteous-hearted ones can remain alive on Earth, and continue living on Earth, right into the start of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth begins. Jesus will usher in global Peace on Earth among people of goodwill, and Earth will become a paradise as originally intended by God - Genesis 1:28

Old 05-08-2016, 06:04 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,972,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
its simple. Magic out. love thy neighbor in. Self help parts in, weapon parts out.
Yup, weapons part out -> Isaiah 2:4; Micah 4:3-4
However, more than love thy neighbor as self.
Jesus gave a ' New ' commandment at John 13:34-35 to have self-sacrificing love for others as he had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality