Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:30 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
LOL, if the tow truck driver had stopped and helped a disabled woman and claimed that God told him to, you would be starting a new thread boasting about this example of the great things that Christians do.

Have you ever seen me suggest that Jesus talks to Christians and tells them to help this or that person?

Quote:
Seriously, your attempt to deny that any Christian can ever act like a scumbag is beyond pathetic.
I never said Christians don't act dumb, or like scumbags. But I am saying that you guys are piling on this guy when you are clearly getting some details wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 01:44 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Have you ever seen me suggest that Jesus talks to Christians and tells them to help this or that person?

I never said Christians don't act dumb, or like scumbags. But I am saying that you guys are piling on this guy when you are clearly getting some details wrong.

What details are we getting wrong?

He never made any attempt to obtain payment from the woman and his claim is that he decided upon seeing the bumper sticker he drew a line in the sand

He claimed that he never knew she was disabled, the other side was that he was informed prior to going out to do the job. I am not sure which is correct but apparently you believe him and not the other report

He never discussed any payment problems with the woman, for all you know she could have given him a wad of cash to prepay the tow if money was an issue

He claimed to be a conservative Christian and claimed that God spoke to him to not tow this woman

You inferred that the woman had words with him before his decision however there is no evidence from either parties that this occurred

So what facts do you have that we have wrong? What facts do you have that we do not

AS far as piling on this guy, he is not on this thread and most of the traffic is between some of us and you on if what the tow truck driver did was right or not. Provide more information and I may reconsider my stance. But it is you that claims we have the details wrong.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:45 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:

Which details would that be, Vizio?

Old 05-06-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
[/b]

Which details would that be, Vizio?
1. He didn't know she was disabled -- that goes directly against your incorrect thread title

2. He did not say he'd abandon her even if he knew she was disabled

3. I don't believe God spoke to him--he is some guy that claims to be a Christian in the same way that everyone says "Praying for you" but in truth they never do. At best, based on the details in the article, he seems to be just a guy that likes to claim religion when it suits him.

4. He was within his rights as an American to refuse to do business with someone if he thought they would not pay. She apparently had no method of payment up front.

All of this aside, this is consistent with your style. You seem to have a fascination with religion -- Christianity in particular.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:56 PM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
1. He didn't know she was disabled -- that goes directly against your incorrect thread title

3. I don't believe God spoke to him--he is some guy that claims to be a Christian in the same way that everyone says "Praying for you" but in truth they never do. At best, based on the details in the article, he seems to be just a guy that likes to claim religion when it suits him.

4. He was within his rights as an American to refuse to do business with someone if he thought they would not pay. She apparently had no method of payment up front.

All of this aside, this is consistent with your style. You seem to have a fascination with religion -- Christianity in particular.
Do we know this? If true then he lying about his reasons for abandoning her.

"2. He did not say he'd abandon her even if he knew she was disabled"
Do we know this?

It's beginning to sound like he is lying about why he abandoned her and had made up an excuse to justify it because he has been pulled up over it.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Do we know this? If true then he lying about his reasons for abandoning her.
It can be inferred, since his excuse for not serving her was that he was concerned about towing her, then not getting paid. If she had provided cash up front, I can't imagine him saying that.
Quote:
"2. He did not say he'd abandon her even if he knew she was disabled"
Do we know this?
He said that he would have pulled ahead and stayed with her to ensure her safety until another truck came if he had known it.
Quote:
It's beginning to sound like he is lying about why he abandoned her and had made up an excuse to justify it because he has been pulled up over it.
Perhaps that's true.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Now you are the one playing free and easy with the facts of the case

1. He claimed that he did not know she was disabled whereas other sources claimed he was told before hand so in fact we do not know the truth on this matter

2. Yes he said he would not have abandoned her however we do not know if this is true or not based on the conflicting stories

3. I will let you judge him as I do not think religion had any thing to do with this

4. Where do you get that she had no method to pay up front. Her story is that he came up to her window and told her that he could not tow her because she had a Bernie Sanders sticker on the bumper. No where in the articles I read stated that payment was even brought up. The tow truck driver said he had problems with other Sanders supporters in the past so therefore he decided to not deal with them anymore. You are the only one that is claiming that he would not be paid or that she had no method of payment up front. Perhaps you can provide a source for that comment.
Yes he has the right to refuse service in this case but no where in the articles does it say that she could not pay or that payment was even discussed.

Regardless if he had the right to do so, abandoning a person on a road with a disabled vehicle simply because they have a different political view is wrong in my mind and you can slant it anyway to try to show that she was unable to pay all you want but you have not provided any source for your claim

Old 05-06-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Now you are the one playing free and easy with the facts of the case

1. He claimed that he did not know she was disabled whereas other sources claimed he was told before hand so in fact we do not know the truth on this matter
I'm going by the article in question. I'm pointing out that the OP clearly has an anti-Christian bias.
Quote:

2. Yes he said he would not have abandoned her however we do not know if this is true or not based on the conflicting stories
Just like many people are willing to call every scoundrel a Christian if they say they are, I find it interesting that you pick and choose what to believe.
Quote:

3. I will let you judge him as I do not think religion had any thing to do with this

4. Where do you get that she had no method to pay up front. Her story is that he came up to her window and told her that he could not tow her because she had a Bernie Sanders sticker on the bumper. No where in the articles I read stated that payment was even brought up. The tow truck driver said he had problems with other Sanders supporters in the past so therefore he decided to not deal with them anymore. You are the only one that is claiming that he would not be paid or that she had no method of payment up front. Perhaps you can provide a source for that comment.
Yes he has the right to refuse service in this case but no where in the articles does it say that she could not pay or that payment was even discussed.
The fact that he mentioned fears of not being paid as a concern leads me to believe it may have been an issue.
Quote:

Regardless if he had the right to do so, abandoning a person on a road with a disabled vehicle simply because they have a different political view is wrong in my mind and you can slant it anyway to try to show that she was unable to pay all you want but you have not provided any source for your claim
I'm not arguing that he was a great guy because of it. I am disputing the claims of the OP and others that have piled on and lifted him up as a typical Christian.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:29 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Selective reading on his part then. She had a disabled sticker, but all he saw was the Sanders one. I call B.S.

Quote:
He said he would make the same decision again.

Quote:
He said "the Lord spoke to me...". Just like Abraham, Moses and Saul. Yet you believe those stories from thousands of years ago told by hearsay at best, and overactive imaginations more likely, or mental disorders just as likely.
Quote:
He didn't ask her for payment up front, this is a red herring. How christian!

Quote:
I hate hypocrisy, I hate the negative impacts that affect real people in real time that religious beliefs promulgate, and when inventive beliefs start affecting lives negatively, you bet I point that out. It wasn't atheist beliefs that flew planes into buildings, it was religious beliefs.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I'm going by the article in question. I'm pointing out that the OP clearly has an anti-Christian bias.

Just like many people are willing to call every scoundrel a Christian if they say they are, I find it interesting that you pick and choose what to believe.

The fact that he mentioned fears of not being paid as a concern leads me to believe it may have been an issue.

I'm not arguing that he was a great guy because of it. I am disputing the claims of the OP and others that have piled on and lifted him up as a typical Christian.

He stated very clearly that as soon as he say the bumper sticker he decided he was not going to tow her. She stated that the reason he gave her for not towing was she had that bumper sticker. That is all in the article that was linked. He did use the problem with payments in his justifications when he was interviewed afterwards but he did not state anywhere in the article that he asked her for payment and that she was unable to pay or unable to pay before the tow. Those are the facts that you have made up in in attempt to make it sound more like he had some reasons to not tow her.

What have I choose not to believe? I do not know if he was informed or not as there are two conflicting stories and if he would have stayed with her if he had known that she was disabled is totally dependent on if he knew or not. I choose to not accept either side for now and you choose to accept the tow truck driver and not the others. That you are claiming that she was unable to pay based on the fact that she had a Sanders bumper sticker or previous people had disputes with paying and had the same bumper sticker.

That the OP has an anti religious bias does not change the fact that you are the one picking and choosing what you want to believe and adding points that are not in any of the articles.

I see little of other posters piling up on him because he is a Christian but because he is a jerk and it seems that you fail to see that. Most of the posting of late is that you appear to be providing him with a reason to refuse that is not in the article, lack of being able to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality