Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:28 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. It is not what Jesus would have done, nor would I have. But I'm not arguing that it is. I'm saying that he has a right as an American to do that. I do not believe that he had Jesus talk to him, nor do I believe he was acting as a Christian ought.
8 do n9t think anyone is claiming that what he did was illegal. I think most of us see it as he was using his rights to be a scumbag. Just as he had the legal right to leave her stranded we have the legal right to denounce his action and you have the legal right to defend him. That is called free speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 09:40 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Are you looking at people and deciding who is "perfectly healthy" and who isn't? How, exactly, does one gain that skill?
Indeed. It would require clairvoyance, which Viz's dogma strictly forbids.

My late wife suffered from one of the so-called "invisible illnesses" where on a good day she appeared perfectly normal (though even on a good day, doing mundane things in public was an act of courage -- she just concealed it well so as not to put it on others or be a drama queen) and on a bad day she would not be able to navigate down the hallway of our house without running into walls. Point being that whenever she was seen in public she seemed "fine" or at most a bit tired. There were times she wished that she was missing a leg or an eye or could sport Parkinsonian tremors or something so that people would believe she was ill.

As it was, though, the last church she tried to be involved in she was pretty much spurned because it was difficult for her to commit to other people's schedules due to the unpredictability and sudden onset of most of her symptoms. They saw this as disinterest and lack of commitment or passion, despite her explanations. To the extent they believed her they assumed it was some form of malingering and hypochondria. Maddening for a Type A perfectionist who was once super capable.

So yes, church folks are great at making snap judgments of others based on outward appearance (which god supposedly does not pay attention to or encourage his people to pay attention to), political bumper stickers as with the tow truck driver discussed in this post, or who knows what else.

It really speaks well of their compassion, empathy, and love. Behold how they love one another! But maybe not Outsiders. :-\\

Old 05-07-2016, 02:18 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I do n9ot think anyone is claiming that what he did was illegal. I think most of us see it as he was using his rights to be a scumbag. Just as he had the legal right to leave her stranded we have the legal right to denounce his action and you have the legal right to defend him. That is called free speech.
But is it legal what he did? He was called out to assist this person, a call he accepted only to turned away on discriminatory grounds. He was not obliged to accept the call in the first place but once committed? He denied the woman the opportunity to find someone who would help her at the start.

P.S. Can't rep you again yet, mordant.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:32 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
But is it legal what he did? He was called out to assist this person, a call he accepted only to turned away on discriminatory grounds. He was not obliged to accept the call in the first place but once committed? He denied the woman the opportunity to find someone who would help her at the start.

P.S. Can't rep you again yet, mordant.
What is legal and what is moral are two different things. In my opinion he was acting like a total jerk and left a woman stranded on the road. Few people would have done that. Few would defend what he did.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:34 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
What is legal and what is moral are two different things. In my opinion he was acting like a total jerk and left a woman stranded on the road. Few people would have done that. Few would defend what he did.
Oh yes, definitely immoral. And most definitely un-Christian like.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:56 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Wonder what he would have done instead of a Bernie sticker he saw a rainbow sticker?

Old 05-07-2016, 03:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Wonder what he would have done instead of a Bernie sticker he saw a rainbow sticker?
Bet the idiot is NRA?

Old 05-07-2016, 04:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Oh yes, definitely immoral. And most definitely un-Christian like.
And yet some who claim to be christian on this very board support his actions. Maybe it was not un-christian, but SOP for those so afflicted by their belief.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:13 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I do not believe that he had Jesus talk to him,.
Not even in his "still, small voice?????"

Old 05-07-2016, 04:15 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Bet the idiot is NRA?
Let us leave the stereotyping to the christian apologists. I've been in meetings in Washington that the NRA also attended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality