Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 01:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
As far as left being bad and right good, during the last Canadian election a friend of mine had a STOP HARPER sign on his car and it was keyed. Three times the NDP signs were ripped off our lawn and in Calgary some liberal and NDP signs were removed from display. I am sure that right wing supporters could find examples of Conservative signs vandalized as well.
The ugly part of campaigns is the sign wars.

I would have had a conundrum voting in your area, as the winning candidate, although I support his party, has very concerning ideas about land use and anti-conservation ideas I find highly objectionable. My MLA, same party, is not far behind, and since conservation is a key trigger point for me, I have concerns. My support for the Wildrose party sometimes causes conflicts with economics, my conservation ethic and my inherent libertarian perspective. I understood why Danielle Smith had issues with some of the more entrenched social conservatives in her party, although moving to the Tories was wrong and stupid. Too much of God with some of the Wildrose members, yet I know some of the sitting MLAs, and have for a long time, who are great people. And actually, the current MLA, an NDPer, from my old town, is one of the few I respect on the governing side. She at least will answer and discuss things from an unfiltered perspectives, but she also knows I will not pass on those comments, as I won't compromise MLAs discussions we have, due to the stupid party discipline system we have here in Canada. A lot of work gets done in the caucuses and behind the scenes, not in the Legislature.

Both my atheist children voted, one like me, one like you. I always taught them to think for themselves, even if I disagree with their decisions, I will support them. That would include them deciding that a church was an important part of their lives. Thankfully, there is no sign of any of them losing the gift of reason.

I just shake my head though were I went so wrong that one of my children now politically is aligned with your perspective. What did I do? What could I have done differently? Oh, the despair! The failures!

Getting back on topic. I would rather deal with a godless heathen, than those that are so blinded by faith that they lose their humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 01:42 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
I just deleted 13 posts because somebody decided to turn this into a Politics debate and everybody else decided to respond. I'm sorry if your post was orphaned as a result. Let's try to stick to the topic. Remember that? Hint: It's about a Christian truck driver.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,934,965 times
if this man was muslim this would be an example of creeping sharia

Old 05-09-2016, 08:24 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
if this man was muslim this would be an example of creeping sharia

What is creeping sharia? How would this be part of Sharia law?

Old 05-09-2016, 09:37 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
This saga of the tow truck driver is really not substantively different from Christians who want the right to refuse to bake cakes or rent facilities to SSM partners; their only ethical choice is to exit the business altogether or obey the law. This tow truck driver should either quit discriminating or quit offering his services to the public.

My guess is that the lady who was broken down by the side of the road lacks the energy or resources to sue the tow truck driver or his company, but I hope someone will take up her cause pro bono and convince her to do so, because people like this should be made an example of.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:40 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My guess is that the lady who was broken down by the side of the road lacks the energy or resources to sue the tow truck driver or his company, but I hope someone will take up her cause pro bono and convince her to do so, because people like this should be made an example of.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:07 AM

1,329 posts, read 831,588 times
I love how some folks expect every single tickle in their tummy to be the voice of divine. The spirit that came over him was bigotry, not God.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:52 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
It's his wedding cake moment.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:49 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Bad businessman, too. You turned down a towing fee because of a bumper sticker?

Old 05-11-2016, 09:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Bad businessman, too. You turned down a towing fee because of a bumper sticker?
If there's one thing fundamentalists lack (and I have a strong hunch there's many, many more) it's acumen.

In pretty much any area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality