Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So the only piece of this entire story that you accept in the story is that he had not been paid in the past by a Sanders supporter?
Why else do you believe he refused to server her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 12:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And I am saying that is complete nonsense. Did you see that?
Of all people, I would think you'd be livid over his using the name of your god to justify leaving a stranded disabled woman on the side of the road. But, instead, you continue to defend his actions That is strangely at odds with all of your recent "good deeds" posting.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Of all people, I would think you'd be livid over his using the name of your god to justify leaving a stranded disabled woman on the side of the road. But, instead, you continue to defend his actions
First of all...I did say that I flat out thought it was nonsense that he was told that by God. I've questioned if the guy is a Christian at all. Did you see that?

Second....you do realize that he said he didn't realize she was disabled, right?

Old 05-06-2016, 12:14 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
First of all...I did say that I flat out thought it was nonsense that he was told that by God. I've questioned if the guy is a Christian at all. Did you see that?

Second....you do realize that he said he didn't realize she was disabled, right?
According to accounts I read, (1) he was informed by the garage that asked him to tow the woman, that she was disabled and (2) he said that knowing this wouldn't have changed his actions anyway.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:

It does not matter if you think he is a Christian; he maintains that he is one. This "No True Scotsman" gambit is really tired.

He also stated that if he did know she was disabled, he still would have denied her service. Although, that's only a secondary issue IMO, considering that the Jesus you and he claim to follow didn't justify turning away from people in need, let alone because of some irrational fear over not getting paid.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
It does not matter if you think he is a Christian; he maintains that he is one. This "No True Scotsman" gambit is really tired.
So you believe his story about claiming to be a Christian but that's ALL you believe about his story? Weird how you pick and choose what to believe.
Quote:
He also stated that if he did know she was disabled, he still would have denied her service. Although, that's only a secondary issue IMO, considering that the Jesus you and he claim to follow didn't justify turning away from people in need, let alone because of some irrational fear over not getting paid.
He said he would have made sure she was safe. He would not have left her.

Again...the fact that he says Jesus been talking to him makes me question his Christianity. So, religiously...it's not even an issue.

But as an American he has a right to do what he did.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:20 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:

From the article

Something came over me, I think the Lord came to me, and he just said get in the truck and leave," said Ken Shupe of Shupee Max Towing in Traveler's Rest, S.C.. "And when I got in my truck, you know, I was so proud, because I felt like I finally drew a line in the sand and stood up for what I believed."

[SIZE=3]

[SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
He goes around back and comes back and says 'I can't tow you.' My first instinct was there must be something wrong with the car," McWade told News 13 on Wednesday. "And he says, 'No, you're a Bernie supporter.' And I was like wait, really? And he says, 'Yes ma'am,' and just walks away."

I'm really not interested in doing business with that clientele," he said of Sanders supporters.

He did also say that he had problems with the disputes on the bills of two Sanders supporters in the past six months. Under the what would a reasonable person due view if he was worried about not being paid for his work he would have told that to the woman and asked for an alternative means of paying other than waiting until he had finished the job.

You might believe that the woman was not going to pay and that because she was had a Sanders bumper sticker that she does not pay her way in the world. I take the man's words and actions over your speculation.

If it was me with a Trump supporter I would treat them just like every other customer, as an individual because I do not agree with discrimination. A business can be discriminating with individuals based on behavior with that person but judging entire groups based on the bad experience with a couple of people to me is wrong. That is part of my morals and when I did have a business I did not discriminate even against people I did not like as people.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:22 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,184 times
Quote:
In his words, "the Lord spoke to me..."

You missed that part?

Old 05-06-2016, 12:26 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Regarding the bold in your long winded rebuttal, no what it does is ATTEMPTS to discredit the moral claim of Christianity.

Just because a person does things in the name of the Lord does not mean that the Lord condones the action. We are all imperfect people Christians included. True Christians only know our condition and need for Christ.

There's not a lack of people in life doing things in the name of their ideology that is misguided. It doesn't mean the ideology is incorrect.
Since you are not crossing the line into claiming this guy is Not One of Us / Not A True Christian, AND you are not attempting to justify his actions, I won't disagree with you. Except that it is highly questionable in my mind that this guy is some kind of rogue Christian claiming god's approval for something that is clearly despicable. It is not an edge case after all. Christians quite frequently claim god told them to do this or that, or approved of this or that, and sometimes the things the voices are telling them to do, like refusing to serve a customer on grounds of political ideology, go quite contrary to Christian teaching.

It isn't so much whether you or other Christians or most Christians would agree this yokel is misguided or not, so much as it's a question of the kinds of mischief people commonly get up to in the name of god.

I would not dare display a Sanders sticker or anything else that isn't redneck-approved in many parts of this country, and for good reason.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
So you believe his story about claiming to be a Christian but that's ALL you believe about his story? Weird how you pick and choose what to believe.
What are you talking about? I'm taking him at his word: he admits to refusing service to her and was quite open with his reasons.

Quote:
He said he would have made sure she was safe. He would not have left her.
How noble. There is no justifiable reason to not tow her car.

Quote:
Again...the fact that he says Jesus been talking to him makes me question his Christianity. So, religiously...it's not even an issue.
Quite frankly, Viz, I question your Christianity, considering you are defending actions that are diametrically opposed to Christianity. Probably the lousiest, most hateful person I have ever met in my life also happens to own a body shop and tow truck service... and not even he would do something like this.

Quote:
But as an American he has a right to do what he did.
Yup, and he also gets to reap the consequences of his 15 minutes of fame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality