Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 10:52 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Thats right you are not liberal and that is offensive 😀

Note to Jeff: Cupper3 and I are both Albertans, both atheists but on the opposite side in politics so take that as Cupper admitting that he is wrong about something 😊😄😂
What is that famous quote attributed to Winston Churchill?

"If a man is not a liberal when he is 20, he has no heart. If he is not a conservative when he is 50, he has no brain".

I bow my head to Churchill.

A bit of topic, but I truly get a kick out of the one he told to Member of Parliament, Bessie Braddock:
"Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk."

Churchill: "Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what's more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow
I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 11:55 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Awesome!

So now, every crime, and every immoral act, every dumb move or speech, every educational failure, every drug addiction, every alcohol problem, every smoking problem, every pedophilia done by any Icelander under the age of 25 will be blamed to Atheism!

That's easy. Thank you OP
People rarely actually attribute bad things to religion though. Not the informed ones. There are situations where it's absolutely appropriate, like with ISIS for example, but most of the time, things like pedophilia aren't really seen as being because of religion. It's more how organized religion reacts.

No one thinks that the Catholic church creates or encourages pedophiles. Most like, pedophiles are drawn to becoming priests because they think a life of celibacy will keep them from acting on their desires. However, mere repression doesn't work and they won't get any sort of counseling which could keep them from acting on their desires, so many week willed pedophile priests out themselves as such by sexually abusing a child. The abuse itself can only be blamed on the person who committed the abuse. However, the church can be criticized when their only action it moving the priest to a new location instead of handing them over to the police or at the very least excommunicating them. Then there's the evidence that the church was paying victims to keep their mouths shut.

Pedophilia is not because of the church, obviously. But paying victims to keep quite and not acting like child sex abuse is a problem sure seems like a problem worth talking about. Sure, not every Catholic or Christian is to blame, but the organization they follow absolutely is.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:18 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
People rarely actually attribute bad things to religion though. Not the informed ones. There are situations where it's absolutely appropriate, like with ISIS for example, but most of the time, things like pedophilia aren't really seen as being because of religion. It's more how organized religion reacts.

No one thinks that the Catholic church creates or encourages pedophiles. Most like, pedophiles are drawn to becoming priests because they think a life of celibacy will keep them from acting on their desires. However, mere repression doesn't work and they won't get any sort of counseling which could keep them from acting on their desires, so many week willed pedophile priests out themselves as such by sexually abusing a child. The abuse itself can only be blamed on the person who committed the abuse. However, the church can be criticized when their only action is moving the priest to a new location instead of handing them over to the police or at the very least excommunicating them. Then there's the evidence that the church was paying victims to keep their mouths shut.

Pedophilia is not because of the church, obviously. But paying victims to keep quite and not acting like child sex abuse is a problem sure seems like a problem worth talking about. Sure, not every Catholic or Christian is to blame, but the organization they follow absolutely is.
Very good post, skepticratic. Well stated.

Not just the bits I've highlighted but the whole post.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:22 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
I hope that means 54.4% of Icelanders don't still believe in Fairies and Elves now too. Though, they are more fun and whimsical to think about.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:25 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,915 times
How late was Christianity to Iceland?

I assume the native spiritual beliefs were not monotheistic, but I am not familiar with Icelandic culture to any profound extent.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post

I assume the native spiritual beliefs were not monotheistic, but I am not familiar with Icelandic culture to any profound extent.
I usually really know my history but Iceland...not so sure...I could Google but let me just humiliate myself instead...I'm going to guess ongoing between maybe the very late 10th century and 12th century or thereabouts like with Scandinavia?

Of course these would not have been "natives" to Iceland per se but rather, Scandinavians who settled in Iceland but you get the point.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:34 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post

The late 900s I think maybe 980. It was before the year 1000 anyway as Eric the Red's wife brought it to Greenland or was converted right afterwards. Unlike older European countries Icelanders were not forced to convert by a king. They even had their own parliament for laws.

The Norse Gods still remained strong in Iceland and it was until the 1300s that their sagas were set to writing.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:49 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
They are just a bit ahead of the curve, but the trend as we all know, is also happening in the US. Canada and Europe are closer to the goal, and quickly getting there also.

0.0% of Icelanders 25 years or younger believe God created the world, new poll reveals | Icelandmag

However, there is a lot of work left to do, as 46.6% of Icelanders say they are religious. From the article:

And look at that. Atheists and Christians among young people is split 50/50.

How cool is that!
Pointing to the theological persuasions of a group of 75 thousand people, in a World of 7.5 BILLION is not just hardly notable...it isn't notable at all.
I know it bothers you that the world is becoming MORE religious, and Atheism is diminishing relative to Religion as a percentage of Global Population...so you must search out and point to the low population outliers to assuage your angst...but that doesn't change the FACT that Religion is GAINING and Atheism is LOSING ground in this world.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:55 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Pointing to the theological persuasions of a group of 75 thousand people, in a World of 7.5 BILLION is not just hardly notable...it isn't notable at all.
I know it bothers you that the world is becoming MORE religious, and Atheism is diminishing relative to Religion as a percentage of Global Population...so you must search out and point to the low population outliers to assuage your angst...but that doesn't change the FACT that Religion is GAINING and Atheism is LOSING ground in this world.
Are you talking about the US or Europe? What about China? I hear Christianity is growing there but my understanding is that it's at the expense of the local religions. And Britain?

Old 05-07-2016, 02:05 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Are you talking about the US or Europe? What about China? I hear Christianity is growing there but my understanding is that it's at the expense of the local religions. And Britain?
I'm talking about the people of the world in totality, as a whole...a global consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality