Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 03:53 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

Any new religion has to figure out a strategy for luring new converts. When Christianity was trying to establish a foothold its leaders were trying to figure out what would make Christianity most attractive to pagans. Paul had the right idea--a sort of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach. When pagans complained they couldn't see the logic of having their foreskins snipped off Paul conveniently declared it just wasn't necessary to become Christian. Paul made a lot of modifications to the old Jewish traditions in the name of "reel them in by any means necessary".

But the most effective tool for snagging converts was the "stick" -- the threat of eternal damnation in a fiery hell if pagans didn't join Christianity. That worked wonders for winning new converts, especially after Christian leaders broke the news that Jesus said in heaven there would be no sex or marriage or wine, just one big worship fest gathered around the throne of God bowing and singing hymns to Him and generally stroking His ego 24/7 for all eternity. If you don't think THAT went over like a lead balloon for these wine-loving sexually-charged pagans!

Islam took a lesson from this blunder and went for the "carrot". Their version of heaven was called Paradise--already a big improvement-- and it came replete with 70-100 wide-eyed virgins of the most splendid and beauteous countenance and perfection of form. There would be rivers of wine running through each Moslem's palatial harem tent that men could partake of at all hours and the orgies would generally go on nonstop forever while God looked on approvingly.

So which would you choose if you were a pagan scratching your beard trying to decide which religion to convert to: bowing and scraping before God and singing praises to Him till you were hoarse and your back ached, or wracking your brain deciding which virgin to have sex with that night? I know which one I'd go for. I just didn't have the good fortune to be born a prince in Saudi Arabia so I could get my pie here AND in the sky by and by.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 05-08-2016 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 03:56 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I know which one I'd go for. I just didn't have the good fortune to be born a prince in Saudi Arabia.
feel free to move there since that is your preference

Old 05-08-2016, 04:06 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

In a New York minute but you forgot the "prince" part.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:17 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Why move? We already have it this way now and it is getting worse..

Old 05-09-2016, 11:07 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Any new religion has to figure out a strategy for luring new converts. When Christianity was trying to establish a foothold its leaders were trying to figure out what would make Christianity most attractive to pagans. Paul had the right idea--a sort of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach. When pagans complained they couldn't see the logic of having their foreskins snipped off Paul conveniently declared it just wasn't necessary to become Christian. Paul made a lot of modifications to the old Jewish traditions in the name of "reel them in by any means necessary".

But the most effective tool for snagging converts was the "stick" -- the threat of eternal damnation in a fiery hell if pagans didn't join Christianity. That worked wonders for winning new converts, especially after Christian leaders broke the news that Jesus said in heaven there would be no sex or marriage or wine, just one big worship fest gathered around the throne of God bowing and singing hymns to Him and generally stroking His ego 24/7 for all eternity. If you don't think THAT went over like a lead balloon for these wine-loving sexually-charged pagans!

Islam took a lesson from this blunder and went for the "carrot". Their version of heaven was called Paradise--already a big improvement-- and it came replete with 70-100 wide-eyed virgins of the most splendid and beauteous countenance and perfection of form. There would be rivers of wine running through each Moslem's palatial harem tent that men could partake of at all hours and the orgies would generally go on nonstop forever while God looked on approvingly.

So which would you choose if you were a pagan scratching your beard trying to decide which religion to convert to: bowing and scraping before God and singing praises to Him till you were hoarse and your back ached, or wracking your brain deciding which virgin to have sex with that night? I know which one I'd go for. I just didn't have the good fortune to be born a prince in Saudi Arabia so I could get my pie here AND in the sky by and by.
Baaaa.... campfire stories told by desert goat herders. Over active imaginations like fueled by excessive consumption of wine. Or perhaps the inhaling of some herbs.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:00 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Baaaa.... campfire stories told by desert goat herders. Over active imaginations like fueled by excessive consumption of wine. Or perhaps the inhaling of some herbs.
...textbook ad hominem attack....weak.....

Old 05-09-2016, 06:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:

I see the, errr, light ... I am down with the fresh ladies that night.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:30 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...textbook ad hominem attack....weak.....
You're right. I'm not sure about the inhaling of the herbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality