Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 05:10 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Bananas have about 50% of DNA humans have too. So who had sex with those bananas?
Silly man that's not how it works. Perhaps you should read up about conserved genes and house-keeping genes.

From Ask a Biologist
Quote:
Question: I have heard my entire life that humans share 50% of our genes with a banana. When I look online, I see that many famous scientists such as Steve Jones have said this. However, no one has provided a source for this information. Can you direct me to a scientific study that has shown this? Perhaps they mean that humans generally share half of their genes with most plants?
Quote:
Answer: Your entire life! I’ve have had a look for an authoritative source and can’t find one - maybe someone else will have more luck! There are lots of comments of this type attributed to Steve Jones and others that go back to 2000 or earlier (and are continually recycled), which is interesting given that as far as I can see the first draft of a banana genome was published in 2012 (see The banana (Musa acuminata) genome and the evolution of monocotyledonous plants).

If there is a value of around 50% gene-share between banana and humans, it would be interesting to know how the DNA was actually compared! Presumably by ‘genes’ people are referring to the predicted protein-coding genes, approx 36,000 in the banana genome which is more than that predicted in humans.

There will obviously be some banana (or plant)-specific genes, and bananas won’t be ‘special’ i.e., you would suspect a high degree of nucleotide identity between human and plant house-keeping genes (e.g., involved in basic cell machinery such as transcription and translation). I’ve seen values of around 40-50% gene match between drosophila (fruit fly; around 14,000 genes) and humans (e.g., see - Human Disease Models in Drosophila melanogaster and the Role of the Fly in Therapeutic Drug Discovery - in this case I think people are generally referring to the overall identity at the nucleotide level between homologs (not all genes!). I doubt bananas will outdo flies at this level!
Do we share 50% of our genes with a banana?

Some of the things that these genes code for are basic biochemistry:
  • DNA replication
  • Transcription
  • Translation
  • Catabolism, some anabolism
  • Lots of DNA metabolism (recombination, repair)

A lot of basic constituents of animal and plant cells are very similar (e.g. most organelles, chromatin, actin/microtubules).

Regulation of the cell cycle, mitosis and everything that is part of those processes is very similar across all living things.

Your homework assignment words:
  • Highly conserved genes
  • House-keeping genes
  • Orthologous genes

Nothing magical...just easy to understand Evolution for those who have the ability to understand it.

Last edited by Matadora; 05-10-2016 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 05:49 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The real story that science gives us, not some campfire stories perpetuated by some wine imbiding group of desert goat herders. The story told by DNA.

And what a story! Guess what, Europeans were not always white, blond and blue eyed. Au contraire mon cherie. They was brown, swarthy and probably smelly too. And then migrations came from the Middle East, and low and behold, brought Caucasian traits with them.

Now, homos erectus of course existed much before that in various stages of evolution. We left the other great apes to travel their separate evolutionary trek millions of years prior. Some 40,000 years ago, the last of the Neaderthals died out, although 3% of their DNA still exists in modern day Caucasians. Now, I know that some YEC are going to go all ape about that, but now you at least have a reason to.

New DNA Research Sheds New Light on Ice Age Europe - History in the Headlines
I'm 3.3% Neanderthal I'll have you know. I was DNA tested about 4 years ago.
And that's my contribution to the thread since we've been down this road multiple times before. Trying to talk to creationists about evolution is waste of time.
I'd save your energy if I were you Cupper.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:32 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'm 3.3% Neanderthal I'll have you know. I was DNA tested about 4 years ago.
And that's my contribution to the thread since we've been down this road multiple times before. Trying to talk to creationists about evolution is waste of time.
I'd save your energy if I were you Cupper.
I am of perpetual hope that at some point something will trigger in at least some reader, and not necessarily the participants, to understand science and look for the truth.

I'll likely rarely know if I have triggered the search for reality and reason. Frankly, I am only aware of one such person that I was directly the reason they were of faith, and now are not. Or at least that's what they told me.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:35 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
I am of perpetual hope that at some point something will trigger in at least some reader, and not necessarily the participants, to understand science and look for the truth.

I'll likely rarely know if I have triggered the search for reality and reason. Frankly, I am only aware of one such person that I was directly the reason they were of faith, and now are not. Or at least that's what they told me.
Well then, you have more patience than me. Certainly this lot are a lost cause.

I can't be bothered to argue with them other than for my own entertainment purposes. Eusebius for one comes out with some of the funniest stuff but I'm under no illusions that he will ever change.

I think for the rest of the creationists out there, they are a gradually dwindling breed in America. The science cannot be denied forever.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:24 PM

63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Well then, you have more patience than me. Certainly this lot are a lost cause.
I can't be bothered to argue with them other than for my own entertainment purposes. Eusebius for one comes out with some of the funniest stuff but I'm under no illusions that he will ever change.
I think for the rest of the creationists out there, they are a gradually dwindling breed in America. The science cannot be denied forever.
As Gaylen exposes in his thread, there are atheist materialists who are similarly intransigent and he is certainly more patient than I am. IMO they are indistinguishable intellectually from Eusebius and his ilk.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:53 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,980,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Bananas have about 50% of DNA humans have too. So who had sex with those bananas?
You dirty old man!

It's carrots, not bananas. And no, I'm not going to mention names.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
You dirty old man!

It's carrots, not bananas. And no, I'm not going to mention names.
Meh, if you can't handle playing with cucumbers, you're just an amateur.

Bananas go soft.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:00 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,980,231 times
Quote:
Meh, if you can't handle playing with cucumbers, you're just an amateur.

Bananas go soft.
I've heard rumors of corn - on the cob.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I've heard rumors of corn - on the cob.
Hmmm....maybe a battery operated corn on the cob could be the new Mr. Rabbit? Jeff.. quick, you too Eusie, look that one up.

And Goldie, stay out of this, no clues, OK?

Old 05-11-2016, 12:04 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
And Goldie, stay out of this, no clues, OK?
Who's Goldie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality