Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 04:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Wishing everyone success with both.
Thank you Miss Hepburn. The same to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 05:46 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
yawn
No curiosity about the world around you? No interest at all?

Old 05-11-2016, 05:52 PM

17,806 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The above is just according to you. They disobeyed God and so God kicked them out of the garden. The historic account is concerning what happens when one disobeys God.

It is not an historic account except to biblical literalists. To scientists it is in inaccurate attempt to explain origins. To non literalists it is allegorical.

It says it was a serpent. It also doesn't say it had legs, only that it would crawl on its belly. In other words, it would leave the trees and exist on the ground.

Is the serpent not the "snakes" we know today?
The idea that the serpent had legs is controversial even among literalists.

No, that is not what the historic account states. The seed of the woman, which we take to be the Messiah,
God said to the serpent concerning the seed of the woman and the serpent: "He shall hurt your head and you shall hurt his heel." Notice the "He" and "his."

It is ironic that you are allowed to say that "the seed of the woman" is the Messiah. You take the liberty to make the assumption that "seed of the woman is metaphorical. Why couldn't it just be mankind?

You take that component of the story to be metaphor. I take the whole story to be metaphor. And my interpretation makes way more sense from a scientific basis.

But I do stand corrected. "the seed of the woman" gets his "heel bruised" while women get birth pains.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:41 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The real story that science gives us, not some campfire stories perpetuated by some wine imbiding group of desert goat herders. The story told by DNA.

And what a story! Guess what, Europeans were not always white, blond and blue eyed. Au contraire mon cherie. They was brown, swarthy and probably smelly too. And then migrations came from the Middle East, and low and behold, brought Caucasian traits with them.

Now, homos erectus of course existed much before that in various stages of evolution. We left the other great apes to travel their separate evolutionary trek millions of years prior. Some 40,000 years ago, the last of the Neaderthals died out, although 3% of their DNA still exists in modern day Caucasians. Now, I know that some YEC are going to go all ape about that, but now you at least have a reason to.

New DNA Research Sheds New Light on Ice Age Europe - History in the Headlines

The Earth was having it's harvest but it was not good that the Earth should be alone, and so a great rock pierced the Earth and from the Earth's own body came a bride for the Earth and she would rule the waters of men, and seeing that man are mostly water, this is saying a great deal.

She is in the water and she is a much of a part of Earth as Earth is, the Two are one in a marriage which plays out as a cycle of a woman whereby in each month a woman shall bleed, just as each month, a moon will bleed.

Each month the moon looks for her lover and he comes around to her each month where she is hidden within him as nobody has ever seen a new moon, it is the bride coming forth from her chamber as she meets the groom in the air and the two become one every month, and every month she looks for him but he says,'' I have taken off my robe and dipped my feet into the water.''

She cries in the street saying,'' Where is my beloved,'' and she waits upon his return when he will cloth her.

This is Adam and Eve, and if God should forget his covenant with his people, it will be after he has forgotten the course of the sun and the moon and their covenant.

A New Covenant
…35Thus says the LORD, Who gives the sun for light by day And the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar; The LORD of hosts is His name: 36"If this fixed order departs From before Me," declares the LORD, "Then the offspring of Israel also will cease From being a nation before Me forever."

Old 05-12-2016, 06:32 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It is ironic that you are allowed to say that "the seed of the woman" is the Messiah. You take the liberty to make the assumption that "seed of the woman is metaphorical. Why couldn't it just be mankind?

You take that component of the story to be metaphor. I take the whole story to be metaphor. And my interpretation makes way more sense from a scientific basis.

But I do stand corrected. "the seed of the woman" gets his "heel bruised" while women get birth pains.
No, I take the seed of the woman to be literal in that the seed is the literal Messiah Who would come to undo their transgression. The metaphore is inhering in the skin of the animal God slew to cover Adam and Eve's nakedness due to their sin. Christ is the propitiatory shelter or covering for not only the sins of the believer but the sins of all mankind:

1Jn 2:2 And He is the propitiatory shelter concerned with our sins, yet not concerned with ours only, but concerned with the whole world also."

All humans sins have been covered over by the death of the seed of the woman. Therefore all mankind will eventually be saved:

1 Timothy 2:4-6 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (5) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (6) Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

That is something to rejoice in, not something to bicker over.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not really, they were Jewish, and Jewish people don't, for example, take the Garden of Eden story or the Job story literally. Of course, I can't say whether this was the case 2000 years ago. You'd have to ask someone who knows historical Jewish thought.
Jesus and the writers of the New Testament who were Jews believed the historic creation account and Flood and Job's account to be non-fictional. That is good enough for me.

Quote:
I remember the first time I found out that Jews do not see the Garden of Eden story as a prophecy of a messiah. I always assumed that the prophecy came from Jewish interpretation, not Christian reinterpretation, but that they just didn't think it was Jesus who was the messiah or that the snake represented the personification of evil.
Well of course they would believe as you state since there has been a covering over the majority of their eyes since the days of Isaiah:

Isaiah 6:9-10 And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not. (10) Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.

Matthew 13:14-16 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: (15) For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. (16) But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

Quote:
I said to the woman who told me this, "So wait...what is the snake in the story about to you guys? Just a talking snake?" She laughed and responded, "Pretty much." Of course the overall story to them is all about disobedience to God.
That is not how the historic account goes.

Paul, who used to be a Pharisee, also took the account of their disobedience as true. Paul writes quite a lot about Adam and Eve and how, due to Adam's disobedience, death entered into all mankind and for that, all sin. Then Paul details what God has done through Christ to undo all Adam did in Romans 5:12, 18,19. Adam is also in the lineage of Christ, so he was a real person.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:59 AM

261 posts, read 156,826 times
Quote:
Jesus and the writers of the New Testament who were Jews believed the historic creation account and Flood and Job's account to be non-fictional. That is good enough for me.

Well of course they would believe as you state since there has been a covering over the majority of their eyes since the days of Isaiah:

Isaiah 6:9-10 And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not. (10) Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.

Matthew 13:14-16 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: (15) For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. (16) But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

That is not how the historic account goes.

Paul, who used to be a Pharisee, also took the account of their disobedience as true. Paul writes quite a lot about Adam and Eve and how, due to Adam's disobedience, death entered into all mankind and for that, all sin. Then Paul details what God has done through Christ to undo all Adam did in Romans 5:12, 18,19. Adam is also in the lineage of Christ, so he was a real person.

Of course it is not historic, just a fairy tale.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
Prove it.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:16 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post

Quote:
Prove it.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:58 AM

Sorry but that is not proof. Please try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality