Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 06:19 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I often wonder why Christians don't have issues with other scientific theories besides evolution. Never hear them complain about germ theory, gravitational theory and other theories with solid evidence behind them. My thoughts are they only seem to have problems with those theories that seem to contradict the Bible.
They apply that same behavior to their very bible and religion...they just pick and choose whatever supports there own personal narrative. It's not a very intellectually honest way to go about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 08:09 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,939 times
You do indeed have to ignore many branches of science to get out of the book of Genesis in my opinion.

Branches of science you have to ignore to believe in young Earth creationism - RationalWiki

Old 05-10-2016, 08:13 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Evolution throws a wrench in the entirety of fundamentalism, because if evolution is true, then there was not a literal Adam & Eve and there was not a literal global flood that raised sea level to the top of Mt. Everest and an ark that carried two of every species on the planet (don't even ask how two penguins migrated from Antarctica to ancient Palestine to board the ark). If evolution is true, then humans did not live to be 900 years old and there could have never existed a talking snake or a talking donkey. Evolution creates a real problem for some of the more outlandish things fundies believe, and that really scares them. If they accept evolution, they have to re-interpret many of the stories they hold dear as being figurative rather than literal. The same leaps are not required for other scientific theories, even when they seem to conflict with the Bible.
Nothing like fear to keep some people in line and not questioning.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:16 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Evolution throws a wrench in the entirety of fundamentalism, because if evolution is true, then there was not a literal Adam & Eve and there was not a literal global flood that raised sea level to the top of Mt. Everest and an ark that carried two of every species on the planet (don't even ask how two penguins migrated from Antarctica to ancient Palestine to board the ark). If evolution is true, then humans did not live to be 900 years old and there could have never existed a talking snake or a talking donkey. Evolution creates a real problem for some of the more outlandish things fundies believe, and that really scares them. If they accept evolution, they have to re-interpret many of the stories they hold dear as being figurative rather than literal. The same leaps are not required for other scientific theories, even when they seem to conflict with the Bible.
Curious, if evolution is true, why would it be impossible to have talking snakes and donkeys? After all, we are just animals and evolution gave us vocal cords for some random reason. Why could it have not given another creature vocal cords? The fact that such a notion seems fantasy just goes to show that even the strongest evolution supporters can't fully buy into it. Thousands and thousands of species yet humans are the only ones given vocal cords. Gee I wonder why.

You believe in evolution yet find it silly that Noah was able to fit two of every species onto the ark. Isn't that being anti-evolution? I thought evolution was about creating new species. Why couldn't that happen after the Flood? Yet you just assume that all the animals that exist today were the same animals in Noah's time Or maybe it's that I have to wait millions and billions of years to see that happen. How convenient that I am expected to believe in something that I can't witness without waiting millions and billions of years.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:15 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
How convenient that I am expected to believe in something that I can't witness without waiting millions and billions of years.
You believe in the ressurection of Jesus, which you can't witness without going back in a time machine. You believe in the second coming of Jesus, which you can't witness without waiting indefinitely.

Why the double standard?

Old 05-11-2016, 07:37 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Curious, if evolution is true, why would it be impossible to have talking snakes and donkeys? After all, we are just animals and evolution gave us vocal cords for some random reason. Why could it have not given another creature vocal cords? The fact that such a notion seems fantasy just goes to show that even the strongest evolution supporters can't fully buy into it. Thousands and thousands of species yet humans are the only ones given vocal cords. Gee I wonder why.

You believe in evolution yet find it silly that Noah was able to fit two of every species onto the ark. Isn't that being anti-evolution? I thought evolution was about creating new species. Why couldn't that happen after the Flood? Yet you just assume that all the animals that exist today were the same animals in Noah's time Or maybe it's that I have to wait millions and billions of years to see that happen. How convenient that I am expected to believe in something that I can't witness without waiting millions and billions of years.

Except many species of animals do have vocal chords. Giraffes do not I believe but simply Google vocal chords in animals if you do not believe me. It takes more than vocal chords to speak with humans, it takes an advanced brain as well. To think that evolution would result in a single donkey not only having that advanced brain, the vocal chords needed to make human sounds and the ability to learn the language of the locals proves once again that you really do not understand how evolution works.

You totally dismiss the evidence we have for species development and the effect that time and geographic distribution have on speciation. It is not us that are doing the big assumption, you are asking us to dismiss all of the evidence we have and force fit it into your own religious belief.

No one is expecting you to believe in evolution, you demand us to have an open mind however you refuse to learn what evolution really is and how it works and feel insulted if any of takes the time to explain that you are wrong and where you can find out more about how evolution works.

Every wonder how a cow moos or a dog barks without a vocal chord. The fact is that they do not, in fact one of the treatments some people do for dogs that bark too much is have their vocal chords removed. And without sounding mocking, it is hard to remove a vocal chord if it does not exist. So once again you make a proclamation without the facts behind you to back you up.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:55 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:

Jeff, stick to religion please. You obviously don't understand anything about biology.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:45 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Jeff, stick to religion please. You obviously don't understand anything about biology.
It doesn't seem like he is coming back to admit his error.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:45 PM

11,029 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Cat's can talk. They don't say much but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96B_Q6K7GUY

This hilarious!

Last edited by 303Guy; 05-12-2016 at 12:02 AM..

Old 05-11-2016, 11:58 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
My cat makes some of the most beautiful meows that are mixed with purrs...I have never heard a cat vocalized such beautiful and sing song sounds ever. He's such a cutie pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality